Removing decals made fun and easy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Adhesive remover I use is called "Rapid Remover" made by "The Rapid Tac Company"  I get it through Wensco which is a sign supply company out of Grand Rapids, MI.  I am sure if you goggle it you should be able to find a supplier in your area.

ceemike said:
Nobody's mentioned WD40 as an adhesive remover.  ;D ;D

WD40 is exactly what I used along with a plastic scraper (and single edge utility knife - carefully). I removed ALL the decals on our previously owned 99 Dolphin.  ;)

You mean  there's a actual use for WD?  How exiting!  The only question I have is will it get all sticky and gooey in a few weeks?

Clark Griswold said:
WD40 is exactly what I used along with a plastic scraper (and single edge utility knife - carefully). I removed ALL the decals on our previously owned 99 Dolphin.  ;)

I know I'm the loan TT-owner posting here, but interesting that WD40 really didn't do that much on our trailer which is why I didn't even mention it.

I too am surprised to hear that WD40 removed a decal. I've used it on a variety of things over the years and it always seemed pretty mild stuff - never bothered anything I used it on.

I understand your hesitation but I got the input after spending hours using scrapers, goo-gone, etc.  The great thing about WD40 is that it WILL losen the glue but since it's an oil base it won't leave a stain (unless you don't ever wash it off).  So, all I can say is that it's the only way I'd remove a decal off of a fiberglass sided RV.  No damage to the RV and we're talking a LOT of decals removed!!!!  ;D

These methods may work great for newer decals, but not for those 20+ years old. I tried all the above methods and finally settling in on trying wet sanding. Most of my decals are sun damaged and too thin to try to peel off.

Attachments

• 20140701_092112.jpg
    20140701_092112.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 54
I agree.... given the choice I would just choose white paint for the entirety of the RV, with MAYBE a small & simple painted accent.

It's funny, DW & I.... and my 6year old DD all agree, when looking through the brochures, we always picked the base model color schemes that were mostly white and rejected the higher priced color options!
I think for me it's the knowledge that decals get scratched, nicked, torn, and brittle over time.... and colors fade (paint or gel coats), and white reflects the heat....
For them I think it's the "cleaner look"

As it is, the deal we found had upgraded color scheme, with colored body and lots of decals.  I assume the body is a gelcoat color, and I can already see the fading starting from where it was sitting on the dealer's lot so long.  They of course had it shined up with some sort of armor all like stuff to hide it when we looked......
.... so I'll be logging back in in a few years to use that reference that you guys are talking about putting together..... Thank you!!!

Decals of any kind can be a pain to remove. Just curious if replacement original decals are available for motor homes through the manufacturer?

I think the 3M product that I have had good luck with is "3M #08984 General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner".
Generally at automotive paint suppliers, the last I bought was at my local NAPA store, they seem to keep in stock,
it is not cheap, but it works

Bill and Debbie said:
Decals of any kind can be a pain to remove. Just curious if replacement original decals are available for motor homes through the manufacturer?

Depends on the make/model.  Many, many used motorhomes (and really all RV's) are "orphaned" pretty quickly... meaning your particular model is not made any more, and perhaps the manufacturer is gone from the market completely.  That can make model-specific design parts, like decals, difficult to locate sometimes.  Winnebago and Fleetwood, and perhaps Allegro, have all been around making motorhomes for decades so you might have better luck there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom