Denver to Grand Canyon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobeche

Can anyone advise on the best route to take from Denver to the Grand Canyon? Trying to decide whether to take I-70, then thru Moab. (Have done that 2x before)....I-25 to US 160 (Have only done 1/2 this route before) or I-25 to Albuquerque to I-40, then up.

We are towing a medium size TT with a F250 Diesel. Hearing of experiences with 160 over the San Juans would be helpful.

TIA :)

What about US-285 down to Hwy-160, over Wolf Creek Pass, thru Durango and Cortez, then thru Kayenta and Tuba City to Hwy 89.

We do the 160/285 route to Denver frequently and the 160/89 route from Cortez to GRCA is pretty easy.

Wendy
Moab UT

>I-25 to Albuquerque to I-40, then up
That is the route I took last time. It is a bit longer and a bit flatter.

Tom, is that because you found the San Juan passes dangerous for towing? I guess we would rather do the scenic route thru the mtns unless it has bad passes...thx!

Bobeche said:
Tom, is that because you found the San Juan passes dangerous for towing? I guess we would rather do the scenic route thru the mtns unless it has bad passes...thx!
No, I wasn't towing, I just prefer to avoid mountain grades when I am just traveling from point A to point B. If I was planning on taking my time and doing some camping then I would go the mountain route.

Wolf Creek pass over the San Juans is up-Up-UP and then down-Down-DOWN but it's a major truck route and it's used by RVs of all types all the time. We've done it with a 28-foot motorhome pulling a toad. We've also done it in a VW Vanagon which went slower than anything faster than a bicycle. Good engine, good brakes, no problem. And it is a very scenic route. For scenic with a lot of interstate, I'd go I-70 to US-191, south thru Moab and Monument Valley and then onto 160 at Kayenta. This route you climb up to Eisenhower Tunnel, but again, it's a major truck route. For speed, I'd do the I-25 to I-40 route, but that would be my 3rd choice.

Wendy
Moab UT

Wendy has the options nailed down:

Wendy said:
Wolf Creek pass over the San Juans is up-Up-UP and then down-Down-DOWN but it's a major truck route and it's used by RVs of all types all the time. We've done it with a 28-foot motorhome pulling a toad. We've also done it in a VW Vanagon which went slower than anything faster than a bicycle. Good engine, good brakes, no problem. And it is a very scenic route. For scenic with a lot of interstate, I'd go I-70 to US-191, south thru Moab and Monument Valley and then onto 160 at Kayenta. This route you climb up to Eisenhower Tunnel, but again, it's a major truck route. For speed, I'd do the I-25 to I-40 route, but that would be my 3rd choice.
The choices mow depend on how much minimum time you will be at the canyon, how much total time you have for this adventure and if this is one way or round trip. You can time each segment and determine how to invest the time available between the fastest I-25/I-40 + GC stay and the total time available.

?Do you want more time at GC or exploring the 285/160 route and maybe Mesa Verde or Navajo Nat'l Monument Kayenta area or driving through Monument Valley and take the fast way home? You decide how to invest your time together. . .ask your family. They'll plan with you. 

I would take the route through Durango so I could see Mesa Verde.  My mom lives in Farmington right now, and she just goes on and on about the wonder of Mesa Verde and the surrounding area.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom