EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: How do I stop this condensation?!?  (Read 137 times)

Contestedmilk

• ---
How do I stop this condensation?!?
« on: February 24, 2018, 11:02:38 PM »
I pull a 29' 2016 Palomino Solaire. I have been full-timing for over a year now but this trailer is new.

Every time it gets cold I am getting heavy condensation inside the trailer on my walls and windows. I assume it's due to the heat from inside meeting the cold from outside.

The walls are what worry me because there is so much condensation that the towel i use to wipe them down gets pretty soaked every time. 

The wall I am most concerned about is the one nearest to the axle where my bed is. It is carpeted just below the mattress and has began to mold from all the moisture. It's inches from my pillow and cannot be good for me.

Does anyone know a solution for this? Will a dehumidifier fix the issue?

I am concerned about the damage all the moisture is doing to the trailer and my health. I definitely need any advice on the matter. Thank you in advance.

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
Re: How do I stop this condensation?!?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 11:05:07 PM »
You have to remove the moisture. I generally leave a vent open all the time, even in the cold. Another alternative is to run a dehumidifier. You will be shocked at how much moisture will be generated from your daily activities.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:36:59 AM »
Yes you need to run a dehumidifier. However, every one has a chamber that fills with water and you must empty it every day.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2017 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y0HbMU5KYa2hx02E3
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:19:59 AM »
Unless it is a model with a drain hose. That can be run into a sink or shower, but that will cause your gray tank to fill quickly. Running the condensate discharge outside through piping is best if you can. A hole through the floor, piped in with PVC or pex, to a hose fitting on the outside. Hook up an appropriate length of hose to that.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

lynnmor

• ---
« Reply #4 on: Today at 07:33:24 AM »
The moisture that you see was generated by you.  Keep showers short and no warmer than necessary.  Run the vent fan during bathroom use.  Keep cooking to a minimum and run the hood fan when you do.  Get damp wet towels and clothing out of the RV.  The human body adds quite a bit of moisture, just breath on a cold mirror and you will see, but please don't quit breathing.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:52:03 AM »
The warm air holds a lot of moisture (high relative humidity), so you get condensation whenever ti touches a cold surface.  The cold wall surfaces are a result of poor insulation and not much can be done once the rig is built. Cold windows can be insulated from the inside, but then you can't see out and it's darker inside. You will have to make your own choices about that.

The moisture in the interior has several sources, a few of which you may be able to limit somewhat:
1. Your breathe is very moist - every time you exhale you add water to the air
2. Gas flames produce moisture, so using the stove burners creates more moisture
3. Cooking, especially boiling, pushes moisture into the air
4. Showers produce a lot of moisture (steam)

NOTE: The gas furnace does not add moisture to the interior air - it's moisture is vented outside.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is a payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #6 on: Today at 07:55:11 AM »
The gas furnace does not add moisture to the interior air - it's moisture is vented outside.

In fact the furnace helps evaporate moisture along with electric heaters.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Hosted by Over The Network