Tow a Toyota Pickup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yosemitesamm

Does anyone flat tow a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 either automatic or stick?  I would like to buy one it this can be done.

Yosemitesamm

Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Not listed in FMCA tow guide 2006, so maybe not.

Check the owner's manual.

I have been towing a 1989 Toyota 4-Runner, v6, manual, 4-wheel drive, and the transfer case does not have a neutral  position,  for about 8 years.  Of course, Toyota will not tell you that you can.  I went and talked to 2 Toyota transmission mechanics and an independent transmission mechanic.  Both of them told me that is was OK to tow, that the transmission would receive the same lubrication being towed as it received being driven.    Toyota does not want to accept the liability so will not approve it.  In my mind, the best advise comes from someone who is intimately involved in the workings of the transmission.  If I remember correctly, I also talked to Remco and got the same advise.

Thanks guys for the input.  I was told by a Toyota salesman that in 2004 (and probably earlier) the transfer case had a neutral switch.  I am now looking for a good used 2004 model.

Mr. Jim!

Do you put the transmission in neutral and the transfer case in 2 high?  Does the odometer run?

Thanks

yosemitesamm said:
Mr. Jim!

Do you put the transmission in neutral and the transfer case in 2 high?  Does the odometer run?

Thanks

Yes, to your question.  And the odometer does show mileage.  That is why it is at 245,000 now!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom