roof air install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marunr1

Hi,
I'm replacing the gasket on my coleman roof air unit and I'm wondering how tight to tighten the bolts? I seem to remember reading somewhere they should be torqued to 40 to 50 lbs. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Sorry, Not correct!

The installation instructions state that you should tighten the mounting bolts evenly, using a technique like tightening lug bolts on a tire, until the gasket is compressed by about 50%. 40-50 ft/lbs. would be excessive. I'm guessing it's going to be something less than 10 ft/lbs; probably a lot less. :)

That sounds a bit high - they should be nicely snug but not overly tightened.  The idea is to compress the gasket a little but not to squeeze it flat or cause it to squish out the sides.  If the a/c manufacturer doesn't provide a torque spec, "snug" is about as definitive as it gets.

Check the tightness again after the first trip and again in another month. The bolts sometimes loosen up a bit.

We just had the gaskets replaced on our A/C units and the tech said the correct torque is 6 lb-ft.  Lacking a torque wrench, tighten them so there is about a 1/4" bulge in the gaset on the inside.

I seem to remember reading somewhere they should be torqued to 40 to 50 lbs. Is this correct?

The torque for small bolts such as we are discussing here is usually expressed in inch-lbs rather than foot-lbs40-50 inch-lbs would be the right ball park.

Back
Top Bottom