Registering a RV in Nevada or Arizona????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motec300

I am an Australian citizen and have brought a rv from Florida. I am wanting to register it in Nevada or Arizona and store it there when i return to Aussie. The reason i want to store it in nevada is that i dont have to winterise it as it doesnt get that cold in las vegas. Can i register it and what sales tax do i pay on a $55000 rv on a private sale and can i get insurance on a Aussie licence...thanx for help

How much tax you will pay will depend upon if you bought it from a dealer. If you did not then you will pay a few hundred dollars to register it. If you bought it from a dealer the registration will be around $5000. You can calculate the exact amount by going to the Nevada DMV web site and follow links. This is a question you should have asked before you bought it if you did in fact buy from a dealer.

I am a Nevada resident for the last 10 years and have registered several RVs there.

If you don't want to pay the $5k then register it in South Dakota. You can still store it in Nevada and do the registration renewal by mail. It would only cost a few hundred to register it there.

Here is the official Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) web site used to estimate your registration fee. 
Las Vegas in in CLARK county.  Use Clark for your estimate.  For MSRP put what you paid for it.  MSRP is the Mfr'ers Suggested Retail Price when it sold new.

https://dmvapp.nv.gov/dmv/vr/vr_estimate/vrestimationinput.aspx

JerryF

I get the impression that Motec300 believes he needs to re-register his RV if he stores it in another state.  This is not necessary.  If it's registered in Florida (or any other state) you can leave it registered in that state if you want to do so.  Where you store it is irrelevant.  And, I should add, registering in Nevada is expensive, almost as much as California.  If you have another reason for wanting to re-register that's okay, but you don't HAVE to do it.

ArdraF

hi guys  thanx for the help..i brought the motorhome as a private sale in tampa, florida. can i simply change the florida title into my name and store in las vegas? how does this work for insurance..from what i can see registering it in las vegas would be approx $390..  any more help would be cool...thanx

motec300,

I suggest that you call the Nevada DMV and "double check" what would be your cost to register in Nevada and also do the same with the Florida DMV before making your final decision.  It's better to check than to be surprised! 

JerryF

Question for forum at large: Is there some requirement to be a "resident" before registering a vehicle in a state? (Don't know, just asking.)

You don't have to be a resident, but you do want to establish a domicile state.  Vehicle registration is just one factor in determining a domicile.  As a rule, you want to have everything that can affect your state of domicile to be in one state.  If you register a vehicle in one state, while registering to vote, say, in another, you may find that the states will determine your domicile for you and not to your advantage.  Also, you generally need to register your vehicles in the same state you have your drivers license, another factor in establishing a domicile.  That's why you have to look at the overall cost of establishing a domicile and not just pick one item for it's low cost.

The OP is an Australian citizen coming here to visit for a while.  Why would he need a state of domicile when he's not an American?  If he can find an address in Florida where he's buying the RV and where it's currently registered, why can't he just reregister it in Florida?  He can then travel anywhere and store it anywhere.  He needs an address for registration and insurance, but I can't see him needing a domicile state.  Won't the mailing services like Escapees serve his needs by providing the address he needs?

ArdraF

The OP doesn't need a domicile state, but the other inquiries were from US citizens.

Florida is a low cost state for large vehicle registrations and is a good choice for a foreign visitor. And the Florida DMV is accustomed to handling registrations for people whose main residence is elsewhere, either another state or abroad.

I was answering BB's question rather than being specific to the OP, but you're right, domicile doesn't apply to a foreign visitor.

[quote author=Pierat]... you're saying he doesn't need to register it in Australia ....[/quote]

Only if he doesn't plan on shipping the RV home, which a number of visitors here have done  ;D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom