Cleaning Black Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
W

Weewun

Well I did it.  Have the MH parked for the Summer and am trying to clean the Black Tank so that the Sensors will work, obviously they do not now.

The Black Tank Sensors read 2/3rds full irrespective of the tank contents, the tank has been empty for two months and the Tank still reads 2/3rds full.  Today I put a box of Riddex and a packet of yeast in the tank and filled it to capacity.  I am going to let it set for a month and then drain it.  I hope the enzyme action will eat the "crap" off the walls and solve my problems.

If this doesn't work I am not sure what to do.  I will appreciate your input. 

In that amount of time, I think you will have accomplished your mission. If not, one possible alternative could be to get one of the flusher wands that go down the toilet itself and spray the walls down in the black tank.

BB

My plumbing does not allow the use of a Wand.  It is a Macerator type installation and there is no direct access to the Tank from the Commode.

I do have a Tank Flush connection in my Water Bay but it has proved ineffective.

Do you have a flushing connection in the area of the valves?  I am trying to flush mine as well cause it's showing half full after a dump.

Here is something you might consider from CW: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/no-fuss-flush/3495
You can attach the hose on the outside of your MH to flush your black water tank.  I used to use the wand, but I didn't like dragging the hose through the MH.  Fairly easy to install, but make sure your tank is empty or close to empty before you drill the hole.  Have everything ready to do the job when you drill the hole.  It can get pretty smelly.

I just used the GEO method and it worked for me. Filled the tank with water and put 2 cups of water softener and one cup of laundry detergent. if you put in the softener and detergent in first and then the water it kind of mixes it up. I left it in mine for a couple of months and when we got ready to use it everything worked

I am going to leave the Riddex for a month or more and, if not successful, will try the Water Softener and Detergent.

I wish the RV manufacturers would come up with a far better system for measuring how full a black tank is. Maybe sound waves or weight or anything besides the current method that gums up all the time.

I went though all the gyrations of cleaning my black tank.  It was a real pain in the rump.  The sensor worked correctly for a few weeks, then went back to its usual random readings.

I live in my RV fulltime, so I just make sure I dump it at least once a month. Usually I prefer to dump at least every week when possible.

My toilet dumps straight down into the black tank, so I discovered I can turn the water supply off, open the toilet to dry flush and look down in there with a flashlight. Then I guesstimate the level based on what I see.

For filling up the black tank for cleaning or to put lots of extra water in before dumping it, I just turn on the flush and use a heavy clothes pin type clamp to hold the flush "on" so it starts filling the black tank continuously until I turn it off.  I've given up on getting accurate readings from the black tank sensor.

The gray water sensor works just  fine, so it must be the poop that gums up the sensors.

Someone has come up with a better way  Google SEE LEVEL RV and the first link is to:

http://www.rvgauge.com/

It is a better system..  Or so I'm told by folks who have it, Many right here on RVFORUM

I poured a half cup of Dawn dish soap into my tank thru the tolit and filled it with fresh water and let it set a while. Seemed to work good!

Scott

sluggermike said:
Here is something you might consider from CW: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/no-fuss-flush/3495
You can attach the hose on the outside of your MH to flush your black water tank.  I used to use the wand, but I didn't like dragging the hose through the MH.  Fairly easy to install, but make sure your tank is empty or close to empty before you drill the hole.  Have everything ready to do the job when you drill the hole.  It can get pretty smelly.
Or wait for a windy day and you can work upwind.

I have figured out a foolproof way to clean the black water tank.  This only works if you can open the flush valve on the toilet and get directly to the tank. Try to fill the tank with fresh water to 1/3 full. Next, buy 20 to 30 lbs of ice and 1 32oz bottle of Therford black water tank treatment. Pour the tank treatment and ice through the toilet. Go for a spirited drive. The object is to move and agitate the ice in the tank as much as possible. The ice and tank treatment will knock all the stuck debris from the tank walls and sensors. Once it melts, you can empty your tank and everything else with it.

Good luck, Jim

I had the same problem and finally replace the probes with Horst probes. It was simple, easy and inexspensive. Most of all they work. I changed them three years ago and no problems. Check out the website www.horstmiracleprobe.com

It has been almost 2 months since I filled the Black Tank and added the Riddex, am going to take for a wheel alignment next week and will drive it for awhile to get water motion in the tank to help clean the walls.

Have looked seriously at the Horst probes and especially like the fact of not having to install new gauges.  If the probes do not indicate properly when I drain it next week I shall order and install the Horst Probes.

This is a two part update:

1.  Took the MH to have the front end aligned as I have cupping on the outer treads of the tires, quite noticeable on the front tires.  The Gentleman checked and tweaked my alignment but informed me that the alignment wasn't far enough out to cause any problems.  He told me my problem was tire inflation (not enough) and that I am having outer tread wear on all my tires.  He put 120lbs in the front and 110 in the rears, I was running 100lbs in the front and 95lbs in the rear per the chart in my Owners Manual.  The MH drove well and true but quite a bit stiffer.  I am confused and want to verify my OM chart with the on line Goodyear chart.  I will appreciate the site URL.

2.  Drained and flushed (internal flush mechanism) my Black Tank and things have improved.  Prior to putting in the Riddex my 1/3 and 2/3 lites were solidly lit and the full lite was a dim red (reading from the tank probes).  The sensor for my commode would not turn green upon emptying (a sensor mounted on the external wall of the Black Tank).  Now the full and 2/3 lites are out on the Probe Sensors (still have the 1/3 lite) and the green empty lite on my commode sensor is green again.  I am pleased.  I am going to add some Riddex, fill the Tank and let it sit some more to see if I can get all the Probe Sensors working correctly.  I am also going to change my maintenance procedure to include adding Riddex weekly when using.

Walt

Weekly addition of Riddex would be overkill, there are still plenty of the buggers in the tank to work on the next load. More effective would be a good backflush every time you dump the black tank. That seems to clean off my sensors the best.

The Goodyear tire inflation chart can be downloaded from HERE.

Possibly the Riddex and backflushing is the answer, backflushing alone isn't.  I backflush every time I dump (twice a week).  I empty backflush till clear and then backflush to fill tank, dump and backflush again until clear.

I take my stool, pipe and book so I will have something to do during the process, people look at me funny.  The frequency of dumping twice a week is dictated by there being three of us and a Macerator commode (uses lots of water).

Insufficient tire inflation does not cause cupping, but it will cause both edges to wear prematurely. Wear on the outer edge only is a tow-in problem. Cupping means the tire is bouncing as it rolls and is indicative of either tire balance issue, bad shock absorbers or possibly even bad wheel bearings.

The KAL Tire web site is very instructive on tire wear problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom