Auto leveling jack won't completely retract

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan T

One of the jacks on my new Adventurer isn't completely retracting.  It stops about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch short.  I've tried finishing the retracting with the buttons for the individual side and back jacks but to no avail.  The vehicle is still under warranty so I could take it in, but I hate to go to the expense of the 200 mile round trip with two vehicles just for that. 

Is there a likely simple fix ala a shot of WD 40 or something?  The jack looks to be smooth and clean.

Dan

If you push the "auto retract" button on the HWH control panel, it will open the valves to allow the levelers to retract.  Normally the springs on each jack will retract the jack pistons.  While these valves are open you can go to the "slow" jack and use a piece of lumber to provide additional leverage to push the jack up.  If this does the trick then the springs on this jack are weak or there is more friction on the piston or the reservoir is full (?)...  You can clean the area around the seal and the shiny metal shaft to see if that helps... if not, you probably need to replace the springs.  The springs are notorious for this... or breaking.  I always carry a few bungees to hold the jack up in case the spring breaks.

Thanks for the tips everyone. 

The jack only comes up about 1/2 short of being fully retracted.  The jacks down alarm will go off at this point.  I can tell that it is not fully retracted because I can see a little smooth metal.
The motorhome is a new 2011 Adventurer and is under warranty.  I guess I'll just take it in when I return from our next local trip. 

I looked in the supplementary owners manual but could not find the manufacturer of the automatic hydraulic jacks.  I didn't look real hard, I'll look again.

Dan

You probably should contact HWH (I assume that the manufacturer of your jacks).  We had problems with one of ours due to a hydraulic fluid leak.  They were responsive and fixed it quickly.  You want to be careful not to invalidate the warranty or wait until it runs out!

It is a common complaint and I had to use a walking stick to "encourage" one of mine to retract Friday.  I think the most common advice (other than calling HWH) is to wipe the cylinder and seal area clean and maybe give it a shot of silicone lube.  I think WD40 is discouraged because of the solvent it contains.  Sure seems like it shouldn't be such a problem for so many of us.  :(

We'll be headed to Minn next month and I hope to be able to schedule some time at the HWH factory along the way to have them take a look see and to recalibrate what my coach thinks is "level" for the auto system.

Rick

With a new RV it is most likely a dry section of the jack cylinder. Extend the jack then slide under the rig and spray it with silicone spray. Wipe off the excess with a clean cotton cloth. Do all 4 jacks since you are down there. Then crawl out and hit the retract button. The jacks should retract smoothly and quickly. If not it is most likely a mechanical issue.  But do the easy stuff first. 

Sarge

I had that problem with my 2010 journey... Had to clean and silicone right rear jack almost everytime. I noticed that the rear mudflap and u-bolt that anchored the jack were interfering with the spring. Once these were resolved the problem seems to be OK. Mine are PowerGear jacks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom