First long trip of the season - Lexington KY to Pensacola & Return

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndyinLexington

Well, we made our first long trip of the season, on a route we've done a couple of times before in the m/h and about ten times in a car.  Left Lexington on Thursday May 5 about 2 hours late. Quick stop at Camping World in Bowling Green to get an awning rod/hook, then down to Cullman Alabama (Cullman Campground).  This was our first trip towing our 2005 Malibu, and that worked well, once we figured out how long the safety chains needed to be  ???.  Got into Cullman about 10 PM or so, and had an easy pull-thru site.  We only connect electric when just overnighting so it took about five minutes to level and hook-up.  The folks who own/operate this campground are very nice and easy to work with.  We've stayed three times now and it makes a good, quick overnight, about five minutes drive from I-65.

The next morning we had a quick breakfast and pulled out at about 9 AM for the six hour trip to Pensacola.  Had fairly cool weather for most of the trip so we didn't need to run the generator and roof air until about the last hour.  Pulled into Wal-mart on the way into Pensacola to unhook the car and pick up a few groceries.  Checked into the Pensacola RV Park mid afternoon.  This is a nice, clean Good Sam park that we've stayed in before, just off Exit 7 of I-10 on the west side of Pensacola.  We stayed a week and had a really nice time.  We've got two daughters that live in the area and two more that attend college there.  The purpose of this trip was to attend the graduation of one of our kids, and pick up the two that still come home for the summer.

Mishaps were a minimum on this trip.  I did get a burned out lightbulb in the rear bedroom, and it's the light I use to read at night so a quick replacement was necessary.  Went to Wal-mart and thought I had the right bulb but of course it was slightly different so required a trip to the local RV supply store.  They had the correct bulbs and about 30% cheaper than the wrong bulbs I bought at Wal-mart.  Good lesson there I guess.  Wal-mart is not always the low price leader, especially when you're buying the wrong part!! ;D

The trip back was uneventful - same route and a good experience overall.  On the way down we drove 55 mph religiously and got very close to 10 MPG while towing - this was averaged over about 650 miles.  Going back I wasn't as careful with the pedal and got about 9 mpg, so speed makes a difference.  I averaged about 60 mph on the way back.

Looking forward to the next adventure - probably a local trip or two then up north this summer.  We've planned a loop through Wisconsin to see my wife's folks, then to the UP of Michigan and back through lower Michigan via the Mackinac Bridge, and likely a sidetrip to Mackinac Island.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom