Newbie looking to get a cabover camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpcmbw

I've got a 2000 F250 diesel extended cab, short bed. I use it to haul my 30' fifth wheel. However, I found a great place to park my fifth wheel in Tahoe, so I've got a place to stay most weekends. I'm thinking I could make good use of my F250 by putting a camper on it for quick moto trips, overnighters, etc.  I'm only looking to spend about $2k, just to be sure it's something we'll really use, but the wife insists on a toilet (even a little portapotty, as long as she can use it in a closet, not the middle of the floor).  I don't really use the truck much, other then hauling the fifth wheel.

Here's my questions
1. is it possible to get an older camper (read cheap camper) that is for a short bed, but still has a toilet?
2. can I slide a camper over the fifth wheel rails that are permanently mounted in the bed of the truck? The hitch itself comes out, but there are two rails that run side to side in the bed, that are raised about 1.5 inches.
3. my truck is stock. Do I need to do much more then put overload springs, or air bags on the rear leafs if I get a cabover camper?

Thanks for any input!

Some will cut sheets of High Density Foam insulation board or plywood to get around and over the Fifth wheel rails. You don't really have the Best truck to carry a truck camper as the extended cab and short box will put the center of gravity farther back. There are campers made with a short box in mind but they will usually be newer, higher priced and heavier.

You may have to upgrade the rear tires if you go over the rating on them and the heavy Diesel engine and heavier cab will take away from the weight of the camper you should carry.

As far as getting a decent camper for 2000 $ you will have to be in the Right Place at the right time with Cash in hand. Good luck on that one.

I hadn't thought about the short bed and extended cab affecting the center of gravity, but I had considered the tire weight issue. I think the truck itself weights about 6500 or 7000 lbs.  I'll keep an eye out for a lighter camper (although it seems lighter = more expensive) and see what I find. I might have to convince the wife to do without a toilet on our "starter camper" and look for one of the smaller pop up truck campers.
Thanks for the input.

My first camper had a porta-potty.  It was a great little camper and sometimes I still miss the simplicity of it.  Maybe you could promise to leave the camper when she wants to use the porta potty so she can have some privacy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom