RV FORUM MOAB RALLY, MAY 13-19, 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And here's what the brave and courageous did after the hike and a nice lunch.....out the Willow Flats road which used to be the entrance into Arches National Park, before they built that nifty road up the side of the cliff.

Attachments

• 2012May_Arches_Willow_Flats Small (Small).jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 46
  • 2012May_Arches_WF_entrance Small (Small).jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 19
There are a few different events planned for tomorrow. There is a hike that some folks will be taking, and two 4 wheel drive adventures.  One is going to Potash Rd, Shafer Swithchbacks, and the other is going to Gemini Bridges.  So far Jerry Fitzgerald and I are going to Gemini bridges, leaving the campground at 0930 in the morning. 

One word of advice to those that are going on the Shafer trip, there are no pets allowed in the back country, not even in your car.  Just a heads up.  If you would like to do Gemini Bridges, be ready to go at 0930 hours. 

Sarge

Let's try this again. Ah, that's better :)

Attachments

• 2012May_Arches_Willow_Flats Small (Small).jpg
    2012May_Arches_Willow_Flats Small (Small).jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 2012May_Arches_WF_entrance Small (Small).jpg
    2012May_Arches_WF_entrance Small (Small).jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 50
I'm concerned, Grasshopper....everyone's facing different directions, like the whole bunch is lost !
Sensei Wendy

Quick question, are you guys still doing a Happy Hour/meeting each afternoon/evening or just the one on Sunday for planning?

Hi Mike!  We're waiting for you!  ;D  One of the few hard and fast rules of the RV Forum is that we always have Happy Hour at 4:00 p.m. unless we're all doing something else at that time.  So we'll be watching for you at the pavilion.

We do have one other rule that I've been asked to remind people about.  We don't allow pets at food events.  In addition to people who have pet allergies, there's a story about a golden labrador retriever who tried to retrieve food.  Or was it his tail that removed it?  Anyway, after that event pets were no longer welcome when food is being served and eaten.  If you want to bring your pet later, please wait until after all the food has been removed and there can't be any accidents.

As mentioned earlier and while we're on the subject, pets are not allowed on the trails within Arches and some other places, including some 4WD trails.  It's for quite a variety of reasons that include disturbing the local wildlife in their home and smaller critters becoming a meal for larger predators, none of which we want to happen.

Our schedule (such as it is) continues to evolve.  Tomorrow (Tuesday) the group taking the Negro Bill Canyon hike will leave at 8:30 a.m.  The Shaffer Switchbacks (formerly Schaffer Trail) 4WD group will leave probably between 9:00-9:30 depending on when Frank gets the part he's waiting for downtown.  The Gemini Bridges 4WD group will leave about 9:30 with Jerry and Ardra leading.  With two 4WD groups gathering about the same time and in the same place, please make sure you're with the correct group!

Finally, the "last supper" has to change locations.  We checked at Sunset Grill and they have a party of 80+ signed up for Saturday evening so they cannot accomodate a group of our size in addition to that one.  The other two best choices are the Moab Grill which is downtown and has good food at a reasonable price in a casual setting or the Red Cliffs Lodge which is east along the Colorado River road.  It's the one I've mentioned in the beautiful setting where Western movies have been made and the one with the movie memorabilia museum downstairs.  You pay a little more there, but are in a beautiful and very enjoyable setting.  We'll take a vote on last supper preferences on Wednesday.

By the way, for the long-time visitors to Moab, Steve, the waiter we all liked at Sunset Grill is no longer there.  He still lives in town but appears to have retired.  He and one helper served our entire group last year and I don't recall hearing about any problems.  He was very patient with the RV Forumites and we always gave him a hard time - some more than others!  ::)

ArdraF

VERY TENTATIVE CALENDAR RV FORUM MOAB RALLY MAY 13-19, 2012

Sunday, May 13 ?Arrive at Portal
Happy hour and get-acquainted at 4:00 p.m.

Monday, May 14 ? Easy hike in Arches (Park Avenue).  Line up at 10:00 a.m.
Onion 4WD trail led by Sarge.  Line up at 9:00 a.m.
Happy Hour at 4:00 p.m.

Tuesday, May 15 ? Negro Bill Canyon hike.  Line up at 8:30 a.m.
Shaffer Switchbacks 4WD trail.  Line up between 9:00-9:30 a.m.
Gemini Bridges 4WD trail.  Line up at 9:30 a.m.

Wednesday, May 16 ? A hike to be decided (Delicate Arch?).

Thursday, May 17 ? 4WD trail?
Bar M Chuckwagon dinner & entertainment.  Be there at 6:30 p.m.
[Directions for drivers:  Go north on 191 past Arches and Canyonlands entrances.
There will be a four-lane divided highway.  One mile after the highway divider
disappears there will be a small road going off to the right and a sign advertising
the Bar M Chuckwagon.  Carpooling always acceptable!]

Friday, May 18 ? Corona Arch hike?
Portal RV Park dinner & band

Saturday, May 19 ? 4WD trail?
?Last Supper? at Moab Brewery or Red Cliffs Lodge???

Sunday, May 20 ? Leave Moab  :'(

SargeW said:
There are a few different events planned for tomorrow. There is a hike that some folks will be taking, and two 4 wheel drive adventures.  One is going to Potash Rd, Shafer Swithchbacks, and the other is going to Gemini Bridges.  So far Jerry Fitzgerald and I are going to Gemini bridges, leaving the campground at 0930 in the morning. 

One word of advice to those that are going on the Shafer trip, there are no pets allowed in the back country, not even in your car.  Just a heads up.  If you would like to do Gemini Bridges, be ready to go at 0930 hours. 

Sarge

sounds like a plan.

As mentioned earlier and while we're on the subject, pets are not allowed on the trails within Arches and some other places, including some 4WD trails.  It's for quite a variety of reasons that include disturbing the local wildlife in their home and smaller critters becoming a meal for larger predators, none of which we want to happen.

no dogs but people, horses, vehicles, horse trailers, rv's and people on horses are fine... go figure...  ;) ::) ::)

It's disappointing about Sunset Grill, but I think Red Cliff Lodge would make a nice substitute for fine dining. The John Wayne Museum in basement  is a treat .  I've  not been to Moab Grill.  Heck I'm up for most anything!

Now on  to the AWARD winners for the day.  Will  Richard and Linda Sharp, please stand.  You were nominated for all  three awards but actually won the CareBear Award as they needed support after a day on the phone with the IRS. They got one of those dreaded letters sigh....

Next Cheryl Arthur was unanimously voted the winner of the Smiley Face Award as she conquered her fear  of hiking, heights, steps, stumbles and the great outdoors.  What an inspiration she was on the trail and so gracious in person. Her acceptance speech was well prepared as she  thanked Ardra for being in the right place at the right time that kept Cheryl from tripping.

Finally Goofy was  presented to Ardra who was seen falling right on her  bottom by  hiking backwards and letting her heels touch the ground.  We all hope she does  not have a big bruise on her bum.

Sadly in loading my  photos from the day , I discovered photos  way too small.  I think I have dropped my poor little camera too many times.  I will have to have photo "do overs"  tomorrow.  This is too bad because we had such good scenery from the run along Onion Creek Road and the La Salle Loop. A picture is worth a thousand words but I won't even try to give you a thousand word description.  Stay tuned.

Betty

I've not been to Moab Grill.

Uh, Betty, how about Moab Brewery??? Ooops!  Did that movie addle your brain?

I'm not bruised yet, but there's one tender spot.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Hi Mike!  We're waiting for you!  ;D  One of the few hard and fast rules of the RV Forum is that we always have Happy Hour at 4:00 p.m. unless we're all doing something else at that time.  So we'll be watching for you at the pavilion.

depending on when Frank gets the part he's waiting for downtown.  ArdraF

Thanks Ardra, we are looking forward to seeing everyone again.

What part is Frank waiting on?  Is it something I can bring on Wednesday?

Mike.

Just a few shots from yesterday's trail ride.  Sorry we don't have all the names for the participants in the pictures.

Attachments

• Down the Dusty Trail.jpg
    Down the Dusty Trail.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Collared Lizard.jpg
    Collared Lizard.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Trail Ride Lunch Break.jpg
    Trail Ride Lunch Break.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Not monument Valley.jpg
    Not monument Valley.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 51
Mike,
Thanks for the offer, I need to replace the steering stabilizer shock,
but it should be taken care of this AM
Thanks again,
Frank

Frank W said:
Mike,
Thanks for the offer, I need to replace the steering stabilizer shock,
but it should be taken care of this AM
Thanks again,
Frank

No problem Frank.  See ya tomorrow then.

Mike.

Just to add to the attempt to herd cats, Donna and I have decided that this is the day to back track to see the Needles.  So, we'll see you when we get back, it likely won't be in time for Happy Hour, so everyone have one for us.

Ed

PS: if anyone got a picture of the dinosaur tracks yesterday, please post it as our camera was recharging so we missed it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom