RV FORUM MOAB RALLY, MAY 13-19, 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These guys seemed to get thru OK, Saw photos, but no reports of major breakage, they were having the Syncro Solstice rally. 

I am so sorry to have missed Happy hour tonight.  At 4:03 Barb and I remarked on the  CB radio that we had officially missed the event.  :( We  were  2 hours from being back.

I have been to Moab many many years and had never had the courage, stamina, interest nor time to go on the White Rim Trail. I am here to tell you it was one of the best trails I have ever seen in Moab.  It had  incredible scenery, vistas to die for,  pit toilets every  20 miles or so, fairly good roads. Any stock 4 wheel drive vehicle could have covered the ground. I ran out of vocabulary to describe the views.  I have more photos to process than I ever have.  Not one time  during  the  10 hours on the trail ( YES 10 Hours) was I bored.  Frank and Barb did a wonderful job of  leading the trail.  We started the trail with  4 vehicles,Barb& Frank,( leaders),  Ken & Sheila, Bill & Corrine (who was ready with 6 minutes notice) , and Terry & Betty who were tail gunners.

The Schaffer Switchback Trail was fun and  Sheila had the good eye to spot a "Big Horn Sheep" running right in front of their vehicle.  We knew  the animal was above us  on a ledge, because he kicked a rock from the ledges above to nearly hit our vehicle.  I hope  our photos caught him.  I know I need a camera with a longer telephoto. In hind sight we should have all gone on to Musselman Arch as it was not far from the turn off. 

The trail was a 10.  Near the end,  Frank was able to  supply his tow strap to an old couple who missed the Visitor Center  Turn Off and got  stuck in the soft sand.  A pumper truck finally pulled them to safety( using Frank's tow strap)  after a two hour struggle with the pumper truck driver  straps. So not only did we do a 138 mile ride in 10 hours using 13.9 gallons of fuel, we rescued a senior citizen couple.

We plan to send a commendation to the  driver of the pumper truck who tried for 2 hours t pull them out before we arrived.  He told us he was going to get  tow strap tomorrow!

Only in Moab can our retirement days be filled with so  much fun!

Up an  at em in the morning.  More rides!

Betty

Delicate Arch as done by Don & Mary Ann, Chip & Bunky, and Donna & Ed

Attachments

• At the Arch.jpg
    At the Arch.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Chip in chaise.jpg
    Chip in chaise.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 33
    Wifi won't let me post more than 2 pics

Attachments

• Lunch at Devil's Garden.jpg
    Lunch at Devil's Garden.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Mary Ann's new house.jpg
    Mary Ann's new house.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 34
After the 4pm gathering, I took a chance that the sky was going to clear from the west before sunset and Cheryl and I drove down to the place Wendy called Victoria's Butte to take some photos.  Cheryl says it's her favorite butte from the whole trip, including Monument Valley.  The shape, coloring, and the cave entrance at the bottom are pretty unique, IMO.  Here's a head-on view...

Attachments

• VictoriaButte.jpg
    VictoriaButte.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 45
KodiakRV said:
After the 4pm gathering, I took a chance that the sky was going to clear from the west before sunset and Cheryl and I drove down to the place Wendy called Victoria's Butte to take some photos. 

All I can say is WOW!  Very nice light, a subject and a place I don't  recall ever seeing! Thanks for sharing you two!

Betty

Tell Cheryl that it's one of my favorites, too.

Betty, it's the big formation on the east side of the road at the bottom of the hill you drive down just after leaving Monticello. You've probably passed it a hundred times.

We went out to Arches NP to look around about noon and decided to go see "Tower Arch".  Long drive north on a washboard road so we "aired down" to keep the bumps at bay and went up there.  When we turned west toward Tower Arch, the road got really technical and very sandy, deep sand, but we kept going. and actually got to Tower Arch, nice place with many formations.  Only two other vehicles in the area.  Then having talked to the ranger, we took the OTHER road south back toward "balancing rock" on the main road.  10 miles of "moderate" trail, some slow spots but miles of deep sand.  When we got near the end, the sign said, "NOT PASSABLE"  "DEEP SAND in SUMMER MONTHS".  Ranger told us to run it N to S, probably wise.  I'd recommend it as a great ride if you like sand.  I love sand so it was wonderful.  Kinda like powder snow skiing.  When we got back, I found it in THE BOOK.  In THE book, trail #3  Tower Arch, page 43. Took a few pics but we were too busy running the Jeep to remember to take pics.    ;) :p :p, then  ;D

Is Victoria Butte ever open to walk into the cave?  There is a road in, but closed gate.  We syopped and photographed it on our way into Moab this year. 

PancakeBill said:
These guys seemed to get thru OK, Saw photos, but no reports of major breakage, they were having the Syncro Solstice rally. 

Bill

Check the threads for FMCA 4-Wheelers, Betty posted some pics of your friends.

They did the easy slick rock portions of the run but when exiting the trail they really banged up their rigs & our group had to tow one of them out.

Bill, I think Queen Victoria (name in the books is Church Rock) is privately owned.

Wendy

LATEST STILL VERY TENTATIVE CALENDAR RV FORUM MOAB RALLY MAY 13-19, 2012

Sunday, May 13 ?Arrive at Portal
Happy hour and get-acquainted at 4:00 p.m.

Monday, May 14 ? Easy hike in Arches (Park Avenue).  Line up at 10:00 a.m.
Onion 4WD trail led by Sarge.  Line up at 9:00 a.m.
Happy Hour at 4:00 p.m.

Tuesday, May 15 ? Negro Bill Canyon hike.  Line up at 8:30 a.m.
Shaffer Switchbacks 4WD trail.  Line up between 9:00-9:30 a.m.
Gemini Bridges 4WD trail.  Line up at 9:30 a.m.

Wednesday, May 16 ? Delicate Arch hike.  Line up at 8:00 a.m.
White Rim trail ride (10-12 hours).  Line up at 8:00 a.m.
Picture Frame Arch trail ride (easy).  Line up at 9:00 p.m.

Thursday, May 17 ? Spring Canyon Bottom & Secret Spire easy drive.  Line up at 9:00 a.m.
Bar M Chuckwagon dinner & entertainment.  Be there at 6:30 p.m.
[Directions for drivers:  Go north on 191 past Arches and Canyonlands entrances.  There will be a four-lane divided highway.  One mile after the highway divider disappears there will be a small road going off to the right and a sign advertising the Bar M Chuckwagon (it's opposite the Gemini Bridges road entrance).  Carpooling always acceptable!]

Friday, May 18 ? FREE DAY.
Chip may do a hike, but nothing firm.  Some of the ladies will have a shopping day that probably will include lunch.
Happy hour at 4:00 p.m.
Portal RV Park dinner & band - The band will start at 4:30 p.m. near the swimming pond.  Bring your chairs.  The dinner will start at 5:00 p.m.  Any food you want to bring to accompany hamburgers, beans, coleslaw, and potato salad will be welcome but not necessary.
New movie "Battleship" at 7:00 p.m. at Moab Theater.

Saturday, May 19 ? 4WD trail?
?Last Supper? at Red Cliffs Lodge at 5:30 p.m.
The Red Cliffs wine tasting area is open from 12:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
[Directions for drivers:  Go north on 191 to the Colorado River.  Just before the river is a light.  Turn right there on route 128.  Continue along the river to mile post 14.  You'll be seeing vineyards on the left.  Continue to the main entrance to Red Cliffs Lodge which will be on the left.  Follow the short road toward the large main building.  Parking is on the right side.  When you walk in the door the dining room is straight ahead toward the river.]

Sunday, May 20 - Leave Moab.  :'(

Four or five cars didn't get back from their daily adventures until the end of happy hour.  We talked about tomorrow and finally decided to have a free day.  Wendy thought the Corona Arch hike might be too hot.  Chip might do a hike.  Some of the ladies might go downtown to shop and have lunch.  We gave ideas about places to go in the area that are not either hikes or four-wheel drives, such as Castle Valley.

Tomorrow is the Portal RV Park dinner.  The band will start at 4:30 and dinner at 5:30.  We explained to the group about the meat being locally ground and we told them about the meat market that processes it.  For those who want to stock up on good meat here is the information.  It's located at the south end of town in a small building that probably was a house at one time.  It's easy to pass by so look for the sign Ye Old Geezer Meats.

Ye Old Geezer Meats
1240 S Highway 191  Moab, UT 84532
(435) 259-4378

Everyone have a good day tomorrow and see you at happy hour!

Well good bye to  Marty & Diane, Frank & Cheryl  and Christi  as other  commitments pull them away from the RVForum rally. However a  big hello to Mike, Crystal and Jared.  Our Framily is coming and going!

Terry is having service done  on the Jeep in morning so I am borrowing a car (thank you Randy) to go out shopping on the streets of Moab.  Leaving at 10 am.  Maybe  the girls will meet for lunch at a place of individual choosing. All welcome. Let's carpool out of Portal.  I  think we should  meet at the  Moab visitor center cause they have  pretty easy parking. 

More on Awards when I am not so dead tired!  This rally thing keeps us hopping!

Checked my Westie friends, they were in a group of 6 that made it through fine.  One was a green with orange painted wheels.  That one ought to stand out, none looked like the pics of the ones being towed, and nobidy seemed to complain about breaking anything.  There was an event in Moab, Syncro Solstice, so lots of them around. 

I'll ask to see if anyone else knew the unfortunate guys.

Here are some of the framily's Ghost Riders wannabees doing the Yippee-Aiy-Yaay at the Bar-M this evening...

Attachments

• 1-_MFA1982-001.JPG
    1-_MFA1982-001.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 49
Well, the rescued and rescuers all among my various forum friends.  Now to check my photo forum and see if anyone was in Moab shooting on Hells Revenge. 

The dancing girls at last nights festivities at the Bar M, they're doing great with the lassos but they never did rope a calf.

Ed

Attachments

• Betty twirling.jpg
    Betty twirling.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Bunky rope twirling.jpg
    Bunky rope twirling.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 51
    A couple of pics of yesterday's Spring Canyon Bottom run

Ed

Attachments

• Coming out of Spring Bottom Canyon.jpg
    Coming out of Spring Bottom Canyon.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Ernie and Tara made it with no pinstriping.jpg
    Ernie and Tara made it with no pinstriping.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 43
Ok I got  really behind on my reporting of Award Winners.  Part of the reason is my missing Happy Hour , the other part is that some of the  Award winners were able to hang on to their awards with a second WIN. 

For example Chip maintained the Care Bear with his further help of hikers! Neither  Frank (nor the group) could come up with  a Goofy Award so he maintained it until late in the evening of Bar M when he secretly Awarded Mike the Goofy because Mike  backed up over " something" and removed his tail pipe on the Spring Bottom Canyon run.  Mike is still hoping no one notices.  No photos of that one yet but I'm told to keep your ears open and you will know! 

Bill was awarded the Happy Face when he generously and thoughtfully provided a bottle of wine to Randy as Randy  lost a good friend suddenly and unexpectedly this week. See we  really are Framily!

Wendy ( and Mike)  got the Smiley Face for leading the Spring Bottom Canyon run with Yellow Sunshine.

Don and Mary Ann captured the Care Bear award as they invite Chip and Bunky ( Jeanette) to carpool with them all around Moab.  And the final photos is of our good friend Jared, the youngest  RVForum rally participant who is 100% American.  Just look at his T shirt!  I'm hoping he wil be my Facebook  friend too! 

Attachments

• IMG_7298.JPG
    IMG_7298.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7297.JPG
    IMG_7297.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7300.JPG
    IMG_7300.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7323.JPG
    IMG_7323.JPG