RV FORUM MOAB RALLY, MAY 13-19, 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They work fine if you copy and paste.

True, but that's a hassle for users.  It's much easier just to downsize them, put them into a C: drive folder, and then use the Browse feature at the bottom of your message (Attachments and other options) to bring them in from your hard drive.  We both set up some files C:\A-1, C\A-2, etc. for temporary things like this.  I have one for the RV Forum, one for my new genealogy files before I figure out their permanent home, and leave others open for things of this nature.

Going out to links is not always easy.  Last night was a good example because wierd things were happening and the forum (or Verizon) was extremely slow.  I would not have looked at them if I had to copy and paste because I was frustrated enough just trying to read and reply to messages.

ArdraF

URLs work fine in messages here if you don't put () around them.  That's what I removed to make them hot links.  But it's still better for the readers to attach photos as attachments, but that's not always possible or practical.

We  pulled out of Portal Resort this morning  at 9 am having had an  8:30 departure in mind.  Ya just gotta say bye bye to everyone.  We headed West toward  Ely,  NV.  It was a scenic and beautiful, but windy drive on Highway 50.  No traffic. 

The Moab rally is always hard to leave.  I'm also amazed at how many directions we flee to as we depart.  I was especially touched this time with the Grand Slam of Awards presented to ME at RedCliff.  You guys CAN keep secrets and  we all had a laugh or two I hope with  a mere $7 worth of  prizes.  People make this rally.

Note there was no  rally fee to participate in Moab  but may I humbly suggest if you had a good time (attending or lurking)  to  look at the  DONATE button on this RVForum and make a donation to keep the lights on.  This  internet thing  has kept many of us together for years and we bring in newbies all the time! 

Guess we can't put a price tag on friendship!  Happy Trails.

Betty

Attachments

• Hell's Revenge May 18, 2012 8-19 PM.JPG
    Hell's Revenge May 18, 2012 8-19 PM.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Hell's Revenge May 18, 2012 8-32 PM.JPG
    Hell's Revenge May 18, 2012 8-32 PM.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Hell's Revenge May 18, 2012 8-042.JPG
    Hell's Revenge May 18, 2012 8-042.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Hell's Revenge May 18, 2012 8-059.JPG
    Hell's Revenge May 18, 2012 8-059.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Hell's Revenge May 18, 2012 10-037.JPG
    Hell's Revenge May 18, 2012 10-037.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Hell's Revenge May 18, 2012 10-040.JPG
    Hell's Revenge May 18, 2012 10-040.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 51
  • Hell's Revenge May 18, 2012 10-059.JPG
    Hell's Revenge May 18, 2012 10-059.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 55
Wendy said:
Did I see a bicycle passing the Jeep ?

Good eye,  A couple of  sections of Hells Revenge intersects with a bicycle path.  Often they walked their bikes uphill. Don't blame them.  It was steep.

Betty

Did I see a bicycle passing the Jeep?

Yes, that's the Slickrock bicycle trail in the Sand Flats Recration Area in the hills east of Moab.  The Slickrock trail and the Hell's Revenge trail cross in several places.

Betty, thank you for posting these!  Betty's first photo, I believe, is the first part of Hell's Revenge trail (near the parking lot) and it's my first view of it.  We went with the Weimerts and I have to admit I took one look at that fin and closed my eyes until we were up and over, holding on the entire way!  So glad you took that one Betty!  I got more brave later and opened my eyes the rest of the way as I got a feel what what the trail was like and what the Weimert's Rubicon would do.  The last photo shows Jared standing down in the hole known as the Hot Tub.  No, we didn't do that one, but the previous photo shows Frank driving down into another nearby hole (the name of which I forget).  Hell's Revenge is one neat 4WD trail!

ArdraF

Betty Brewer said:
Good eye,  A couple of  sections of Hells Revenge intersects with a bicycle path.  Often they walked their bikes uphill. Don't blame them.  It was steep.

Betty

Thanks for the pics!  Good thing that you could follow the yellow arrows... who knows where the black lines would go...  ;D ;D ;D  ;) ;) ;)

Maybe I'll have the courage to try it someday.  No winches...

Attachments

• Hells Revenge 2012-001.JPG
    Hells Revenge 2012-001.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Hells Revenge 2012-002.JPG
    Hells Revenge 2012-002.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Hells Revenge 2012-003.JPG
    Hells Revenge 2012-003.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Hells Revenge 2012-004.JPG
    Hells Revenge 2012-004.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 34
  • Hells Revenge 2012-020.JPG
    Hells Revenge 2012-020.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Hells Revenge 2012-019.JPG
    Hells Revenge 2012-019.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 46
Terry and Betty, AWESOME pictures.  Thanks for posting those.  I still have several on my computer that I need to resize and post.  We had a great time.

Jerry, thanks for the videos that you took and gave to Jared to download.  He sent them to Chrystal at work and she has been showing them off to the people she works with.  Most of them have never been to Moab so they don't understand the whole off-road thing but they think we are crazy.

Mike.

Hfx_Cdn said:
    A couple of pics of yesterday's Spring Canyon Bottom run

Ed

here's a video of the climb out of Spring Canyon Bottom, listen for the echo at the beginning

http://youtu.be/GcsJBmaIWr4

THANKS TO BARB for pushing us to come, and to Ardra, Bette and Wendy and everyone else who organize this well run event.

Your welcome. We hope you'll be able to attend another rally. And any Framily heading to the Maritimes will look up Ed and Donna, they are wonderful tour guides.

Frank and I left on Wed. Sad the rally was over, but was ready to the the road. Looking forward to some mini rallies here in SLC.

Happy and safe travels to all. Till we meet again

There are still a few of us hanging on in Moab - we don't want to leave!  Yesterday (Wednesday) the Borowskis and FitzGeralds hiked out to Double O Arch.  Landscape Arch seems thinner every year and I won't be surprised to hear if it collapses!  The last time we were on that trail Wall Arch was still up and the trail went under it.  In 2008 it collapsed and the trail has been rerouted to the other side because of the gigantic boulders that fell across the trail.  Luckily no one was under it because they'd still be there!  Anyway the new trail in that area goes up a relatively steep "fin" to the right of where Wall Arch was.  Chip didn't like going up the fin and I didn't like coming back down the fin but we had a great day for hiking out there.  We took the side trails to Black Arch (there are two there, one of which is down low behind you and the other across the valley).  The trail to Navajo Arch has one neat wall of "rockpecker" holes and people have put little cairns in them.  Cute!  We had forgotten that Partition Arch is actually two side-by-side arches divided by a vertical section of rock that partitions the two arches.  It cooled off during the night and there was a slight breeze during our hike so it was quite pleasant.

We'll finally leave in the morning - no choice because Portal will start filling tomorrow for the long weekend and our site will be taken.  Anyway we've had a great time in Moab.  Thanks to all who volunteered their time, effort, and in Sheila's case use of her credit card to guarantee the Red Cliffs dinner reservation.  All are appreciated!  I told Jerry I would have given Chip and Bunky the carebear yesterday because they both helped me over a couple of rough spots.  Darned if my knees just don't want to bend the way they used to do!  By the way 14 have signed up for the 2013 rally which I'll start posting about later.

Safe travels to all and see you next year!

ArdraF

We finally left Moab this morning.  The wind and dust were the worst I've ever seen it there.  We could barely make out the outline of the LaSals.  We went south on 191 and the dust was bad all the way through Utah, the NW corner of Arizona, and into New Mexico until we got to an agricultural area where there wasn't so much loose dirt to fly around.  There was a lot of sand forming piles alongside the road.  The drive also was slower than usual because of strong crosswinds and rough road - down to 40 mph for long stretches.  The underbay door to our propane tank even opened - on the driver side!  :eek: Luckily there wasn't much traffic and we were able to pull off and get it closed.  The shadow was on the driver side so I'm not sure how long it had been open because I could barely see it.  No one passing tried to get our attention so we're thinking it wasn't open for very long.  The winds also were whipping our one awning open.  It never fully opened but I could see the arms whipping out trying to open.  All in all, an exciting ride!  It was nice to get ourselves tucked away for the weekend.  ::) Hope everyone else has made it safely to their destinations!

ArdraF

Ardra,

That sounds like our trip leaving Yellowstone last year. We hit a stretch that had fierce winds. The slide topper started to unravel. Had to pull over and secure the roller with bungie cords. Fortunately, there wasn't any sand to blow around.

Yes, we occasionally do have hairy drives, don't we!  When we finally stopped for the day I had to wipe every gritty surface inside (I had done it before leaving Moab) and there was a pile of red sand on the floor next to where the kitchen slides in!

ArdraF

This whole week has been nasty windy. This afternoon we could see Monument Valley and Arizona blowing this way :)  And more wind tomorrow. I'll be glad when it's done.

Wendy

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom