Getting service/repairs done at FMCA rallies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

Since this appears to be the de facto thread for the Pomona (sp?) rally, I thought I would ask my factory service question here.  We have never been to an International rally before, but one of the aspects that has attracted us is the chance to get factory service right at the rally itself, and sometimes free.

We have a warranty issue with our KVH in motion satellite.  It appears it has stopped communicating with the low speed data port.  At first I thought this was a receiver problem.  But I have swapped out 3 receivers, and in addition to that, hooked up my laptop and was unable to get any response at all from the data port.  Also the dual switch for the dish does not give proper signals for a reset.  It appears it has locked on to an incorrect satellite and just will not budge from that.  The only way we can watch Direct TV now is to set up our tripod dish outside.

Is this the kind of thing we might be able to have checked out at the show?  If so, any tips for how to go about getting help from KVH at Pamona?

Smoky said:
Since this appears to be the de facto thread for the Pomona (sp?) rally, I thought I would ask my factory service question here.  We have never been to an International rally before, but one of the aspects that has attracted us is the chance to get factory service right at the rally itself, and sometimes free.

We have a warranty issue with our KVH in motion satellite.  It appears it has stopped communicating with the low speed data port.  At first I thought this was a receiver problem.  But I have swapped out 3 receivers, and in addition to that, hooked up my laptop and was unable to get any response at all from the data port.  Also the dual switch for the dish does not give proper signals for a reset.  It appears it has locked on to an incorrect satellite and just will not budge from that.  The only way we can watch Direct TV now is to set up our tripod dish outside.

Is this the kind of thing we might be able to have checked out at the show?  If so, any tips for how to go about getting help from KVH at Pamona?

Smoky, I went to two FMCA nationals when I was in warranty with my Dutch Star. I had several things fixed or adjusted under  warranty with absolutely no charge. When your get there, go to the big room where are all reps are and schedule all your needs.

But I do know  if you are no longer under warranty the charges can be pretty stiff. Most of the manufacturers sub this out to local repair people and they charge the going hourly rate.

We had some annoying stuff fixed. Like the flame on the gas stove would not go low enough to suit Joyce and the stove tech came along with the president of the company. They tech fixed it and showed the president the problem with the factory setup. Same thing with my Winguard DSS antenna. It was losing signal in any wind so the Winguard tech fixed it in a flash and had another company official along who was very interested in what was the problem. This official asked me several questions like do I RV in a lot of windy conditions, of course the answer was now, not here in calm So Cal.

If you have problems with the California culture of names, like spelling  or pronunciations just holler, I live near Rancho Las Alamitos, which south of LaTijera and Sepulveda  Blvds, north of La Jolla and south of Vallejo. :) :)

Bob

Great tip Bernie, if I can pull it off.  I have spent over 100 minutes trying to get through to them on the phone.  I may make the request by Internet email.  They respond withing minutes on email, but I just cannot get through their phone lines.

I finally got through the phone to KVH after 100 minutes of waiting.  They said I had to line up at their booth at the show to be scheduled for service.  Ah well, I tried.  :D

Smoky said:
I finally got through the phone to KVH after 100 minutes of waiting.  They said I had to line up at their booth at the show to be scheduled for service.  Ah well, I tried.  :D

Smoky

But now you know that KVH will be there and servicing.  :eek: It's not that bad waiting in line to sign up, unless you have a lot of OEMs to sigh up with :-\

Smoky:

In Oregon a lot of the service types were around on Sunday morning before the show started and I signed up well ahead of the crowd.

Early bird gets the worm. 8)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom