Ford 460 CID/ 7.6L What do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wallnut

I was wondering if any of you experienced RV types have an opinion on the Ford 460 engine as far as suitability for use with a Class A motorhome.  Is this engine preferable to the V-10 used on some similar motor homes.  I was wondering as to how durable they are.  The one I am looking at is powering a 98 Coachmen Catalina Class A.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have this in my C which is 31 feet 15000lbs GVW and it seemed to do OK from TX to IL. My old RV an A had the 454 chevy I didn't notice any differance in the power between the 2.

Had a 91 460 Ford.  Very strong runner, never gave me any problems.  Had 102k miles when  I sold it. Weak link in my opinion was the transmission but it did last 98k miles.  All this on a 30 foot class A.

The ol 460 is a very durable engine. It's also the most thirsty of the gas engines powering motorhomes. My 95 Bounder w/460 has just clocked over 100K miles. Don't use any oil and runs very well. If that Coachman is over 32' and doesn't have a tag axle, you will have very little cargo carrying capacity. 17,000# chassis. And the 16" tires will be running at their maximum capacity. The ol 460s are world famous for breaking the right rear exhaust manifold bolt. Only cure is to install headers. Brake caliper slide pins require bi-annual maintenance. Suspension is mostly problem free. Attached to the rear of the transmission is a ZF emergency brake assembly. It holds 4 oz. of ATF. Can be very expensive if you let it run dry.
Not trying to scare you. Just trying to keep you informed. All motorhome chassis have their short comings.

Richard

I'm a Chevy guy, but my research lead me to the Ford and f53. The motor is all I could hope for power wise in my 34.5 ft Bounder. TBI 1993 motor in a 94. Also have been told the tranny is the weak link. Had a pickup with a 454. Never got better than 10 mpg. 8 pulling a 34 foot house is a bargain!

There seems to be  a problem with the exhaust manifolds breaking studs and leaking.
Ours is getting worse, could be an expensive repair. 90000 miles. 1997
Head and or manifold could be warped.
Apart from that strong motor, no transmission problems.
Thought it would make it to 100000 miles came up a little short.

Attached to the rear of the transmission is a ZF emergency brake assembly. It holds 4 oz. of ATF. Can be very expensive if you let it run dry.

Is this something on all of the transmissions or just on A's. Mines a C and if its got one I'd bet money it hasn't been serviced since it was built.

Yes - Im curious about that too.  My owners manual says the parking brake is a mechanical drum-type assembly.  I crawled up under there today and that is exactly what it "looks" like.  I couldnt see any thing that looked hydraulic to me.  Many thanks to all who commented on the engine.  Seems it will be time to sell it if that exhaust manifold ever starts to leak........ I bet headers cost an arm and a leg too.  The Catalina is 30 feet long and I think wieghs in around 21,000.  I need to look that up.  I'm doing everything I can do to keep weight down - driving with empty tanks, plastic everything, and just me and my wife.

My impression from one of the posts is the tires are a marginal size?  Is that correct?

Tires, most 90 entry level motor homes had the 16.5 inch wheels and tires.
They look tiny today but they performed OK on our motor home.
Today the norm is 19.5 or even larger.
The problem with the manifold is the block and manifolds are different material and the different expansion rates cause usually the back right stud to break.
Really had to drill out because of the frame rails. Why the left bank seems OK is a mystery. You soon get tired of the exhaust noise.

Wallnut said:
Yes - Im curious about that too.  My owners manual says the parking brake is a mechanical drum-type assembly.  I crawled up under there today and that is exactly what it "looks" like.  I couldnt see any thing that looked hydraulic to me.  Many thanks to all who commented on the engine.  Seems it will be time to sell it if that exhaust manifold ever starts to leak........ I bet headers cost an arm and a leg too.  The Catalina is 30 feet long and I think wieghs in around 21,000.  I need to look that up.  I'm doing everything I can do to keep weight down - driving with empty tanks, plastic everything, and just me and my wife.

My impression from one of the posts is the tires are a marginal size?  Is that correct?

I never said the brake was hydraulic. It's a drum brake, like your manual said. The 4 oz. of ATF is to lubricate the 2 bearings in the assembly. I doubt if the Catalina weighs 21,000#. It's built in a 17,000# chassis.

Richard

Thanks Richard - you are correct, I dont know where I came up with 21,000#.  And I appreciate the info on the emergency brake.  Im going to have to check into that.

I have the 460 in my 36 foot Holiday Rambler.  Just clicked over 100,000 miles, no issues.  Strong runner and much better than the 454 in my previous MH.  No problems to speak of.

I've had 2 Ford 460's, one in a C, the first Coachmen Leprechaun with one after the high heat Dodge, and one in '90 Oshkosh chassis 37' GS Friendship.

If you check the torque, you'll see the 460 provides more. I jumped on the E460 C as I was living in Holbrook AZ and it really made significant difference driving in the west with mountains, high winds and high altitudes. I totaled 108k on those two in seven years with no problems.

The class A was a coach too large for the wheelbase with about a 12' hangover by stretching the frame. It also weighted far more than the C and really was Bev and my first home until we bought this house in 2000.

The A's engine ran very hot, had all the manifold problems mentioned. the plastic breather opening was way to small  and the pipes were the standard small tail pipes and muffler. My first trip was back to Albuquerque to have all that fixed by Jim Statkus. WOW!!! Headers with those big pipes and largest muffler Midas made would have given me even more oomph in lower gears.

To make use of that torque was a problem here in NM at altitude as the Ford 3 speed trans would lose rpm between 1 & 2 esp. Try starting at over 10k' and climbing uphill. So, I went with a Gear Venders Gear Splitter. That fixed that issue and gave a true overdrive as well.

I'm looking at an '86 Ford E350 with the Ford 460 chassis with the '87 26.5', rear bed, overhead queen, front lounge & sofa Tioga fiberglass shell body. Do dings, no inside stains. It is on a lot here in Bel?n. It haven't crawled under it yet but it has the 3.5" tail pipe, roof and auto air works as does the Onan Emerald I. The newer Dometic is a RM-2801. 

He's asking 7.5k but isn't worth more than 4+ as the rear tires are 6 yrs old. I haven't had the engine checked, but will.

Its a way to get back on the road.

You folks are making me very happy with this engine it only has 37,000 so I know it will last a very long time. It does seem to have the loud exhaust sound but in my neighbor hood you won't hear it over the BOOM cars.

I had a 87  C with 460, manifold bolts broke. pulled heads to get the bolts out, installed headers at 75000mi no wear on cyl.Headers came from summit racing for a van.

I too had a 1987 class C with the carburated 460. The last year I believe with the carb. It also broke an exhaust manifold bolt. I forget how much the repair was but was quite expensive.  Heavy on fuel but quite good power.

Bill

I've been told the 460 is a much better engine than the 454.  I have a GM 454 and I am not impressed.  I towed a small pu about 800miles and didn't think it had enough power.  But it sure drank the gas. :(

I had a complete Gibson stainless steel exhaust system (headers, 3.5" pipes and two straight through mufflers) installed on my 460 for just under $2K.  I've had no problems in 24,000 miles.

I wouldn't trade my 460 for the 454, GM 8.1 or the Ford V10.

I would love to have the Gear Vendors gear splitter, but can't justify the cost on an old Bounder.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom