Air Bags & Ride Quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlshunter

I am wondering if spending the 500-600 bucks is worth while to get a better ride while towing?
I have a 2003 Chevy 2500 CC Duramax/Alli 4x4 and currently pull a 30 ft TT that weighs in around 8000lbs, & we may soon upgrade to a 5er that would weigh about the same.  I already have a weight-dist hitch system of course, but the ride quality really sucks.  We feel every little bump & jerk.  Our neighbors who have them installed on their 3/4 ton swear that they help smooth out the ride quality.

If it really DOES work, then spending the $$$ is worth it to me.

How does this great community "weigh" in?

I'd be sure the trailer was properly balanced before spending money on air bags.  Trailer jerking is a sign of insufficient tongue/pin weight.

Your 2500 should have plenty of rear axle spring capacity - you shouldn't need air bags to help. IN fact, the problem could be that the rear suspension is too stiff for the load.

I don't tow quite a large TT or that large of a truck as of now, But I do have a 2010 Tacoma and pull a 16' Toy hauler wieghing in at 4100 dry, & about 5400 Loaded, so everything in perspective, before I installed airbags in my truck I did notice the front steering very squirrelly.  although my truck was squatting low, I did have the WDH adjusted to carry the trailer level.  I guess I get less bounce b/c the rear is stiffer now with the airbags.  Don't forget that all Tacomas have pretty bad rear springs and do not even come close to full size truck rear springs, but I did notice better handling.

Sorry the embedded code wouldn't work, but you can click on the links and see.

Here you can see my truck squatting before the airbags.
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/matap914/IMG_6443.jpg
Here you can see my truck nice and level after airbags installed and inflated to about 55psi
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/matap914/IMG_6453-1.jpg

Heck I would take alittle more bounce any day over the constant jerking back & forth.
How do I know if I have too much spring?
I dont think I could do much about that situation, anyway.

Any unloaded, heavy duty, truck is liable to be bouncy. The only fix is to carry more weight in the back - some people even throw in some sand bags if the truck bed is empty. You can adjust the trailer  to put more weight on the tongue, which also helps trailer handling. You can also re-adjust your WD hitch. If you don't have it set up right, you can get either bouncing or a squirrely (light steering) front end, depending on which way it is off.

I drive a 2008 F250 with a full bed and pull a 34 foot 5er which weighs about 13,000 loaded. I have the Firestone air bags in the rear to help keep my truck level and for ride improvement. They work well inflated to about 30 lbs.

Bob

I just installed my firestone air bags. I have been experiencing the bouncing and I have posted here and on the tundra forum for toyota tundras. I have an 07 tundra 4x4 4door truck. It is rated as a half ton. It only has the 4.7 liter motor but power hasnt been the problem it has been the bouncing and jerking. I tried adding water to the front tanks on my 5th wheel and it helped but still not real smooth. Talking on the tundra forum other people told me to try the air bags. I havent towed with them yet but I can tell that the rear is much stiffer. I am looking forward to tow with them in later this month. I got the firestone ride right air bags. I bought them online for $272.00 with free shipping. I was suprised at how easy they were to install myself. It took me a couple of hours. My truck was fully pre-drilled for them. I will re-post after I get to tow it which will be thursday of this coming week. If you are interested in the airbags you can look online and see if your truck is pre-drilled. It really was easy and only took normal hand tools to do it. As easy as they went in I would be mad to be charged 2-3oo bucks for installation. Mike.

I'm not sure what pressure you are running them while not loaded, but b/c you said the ride was stiffer, I assume you have them inflated them above 10 psi unloaded.  I've noticed on my truck, when I have them inflated to 10 psi and above when unloaded, yeah,the ride is stiffer.  when unloaded I only keep about 5 psi and thats only to keep them from collapsing with suspension flex.  It's takes my ride back to feeling stock, well, not quite stock, b/c i have a lifted suspension truck, but smoother.  When loaded, i take the psi to about 50 and puts my truck back level, but it doesn't feel stiffer and that's because of the weight applied back on to the rear suspension.  I love my Ride Rite's.  I'll never have another truck without them. ever.

I have Ride-Rites under my lifted 04 F150 FX4, I tow a 21' Kodiak hybrid.  The reason that I got the bags was because my truck is lifted and sits almost dead level when unloaded. I regularly haul 1-2 ATV's in the bed when we go camping.  I run around 15 psi when unloaded, 40psi with the camper in tow and 60-65psi with 2 ATVs in the bed/camper in tow.  All of these psi put so rake back in the truck, so that the rear end is sitting a little higher that the front end.  This also firms up the ride so that it is stiffer than stock, which was way too car like for me, being that I am used to 3/4 and 1 tons.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom