-95 through New York City

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpykmpr

My wife and I will be leaving in two weeks for our yearly trip to Nova Scotia and are planning as short a trip as possible because of the gas prices . My question ,is it a good idea to take I-95 through New York city with a 36' motor home towing a dolly with a vehicle on board ? Our last trip through the city was in 1987 with a car and I don't know if it has changed since for the better or worse. I don't remember if there were any tunnels or anything else that there may be height restrictions on or not. If anyone has taken this route with a motor home recently we would appreciate any info that may give some insight.  Thanks ,Alan

Sorry ,I realized  after I hit post that it was in the wrong section so if someone can move it to the right one I would greatly appreciate it . Thanks, Alan

That is the way I always go but not during heavy traffic times, morning and evening. I usually hit the NY area around 4-5 AM. No tunnels or height restrictions.

Alan, I've gone that way when weather threatens and don't want to risk the hills along I 84.  The thing that always bothered me were the exorbitant tolls that you encounter along the Washington to Connecticut section, most of NJ is tolled.
    As for tunnels, restrictions, I seem to recall having to turn off the propane for a tunnel near Baltimore.  I still prefer to drive the extra 100 miles and avoid the NYC route.

Ed

PS:  My daughter say it hasn't stopped raining in NS for weeks, hopefully you won't need a bilge pump one you get to Blockhouse.

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Alan, I've gone that way when weather threatens and don't want to risk the hills along I 84.  The thing that always bothered me were the exorbitant tolls that you encounter along the Washington to Connecticut section, most of NJ is tolled.
    As for tunnels, restrictions, I seem to recall having to turn off the propane for a tunnel near Baltimore.  I still prefer to drive the extra 100 miles and avoid the NYC route.

Ed

PS:  My daughter say it hasn't stopped raining in NS for weeks, hopefully you won't need a bilge pump one you get to Blockhouse.

Yea , I know about the tolls.we will be taking 95 as far as DC for sure and after spending 5 nights there we haven't decided for sure which way we will go but was just wondering about clearance restrictions on 95 the rest of the way. Yes they are having a very wet spring in N.S.,my in-laws have been up there for almost 3 weeks and have had only I think 3 sunny days,mostly rain. Hope it clears up soon as we have a week planned at Kedgie Park and 5 days at Fox Mountain Bluegrass festival  before arriving at Blockhouse. Hopefully June will be dryer. Take care , Alan

razu13612 said:
I have tried twice to post a reply to your original, but they don't appear !!!!
That's kind of strange ,maybe someone that knows the system can tell you what is wrong. I'm computer ignorant so I can not.:)

Well, I'll be darned..... It worked that time !!!!!

I travel a LOT in the DC to Boston on the East Coast........ Are you REALLY set on using I95?........ Unless you are an experienced RV driver, tolerant of insane drivers, love pot holes, adore bumper to bumper traffic and NOT to mention TOLLS......... Answer back IF you would like my detailed routing !!!!!!!!  I have already tried it twice and it got lost in "cyber space" some where.... I'll gladly type it again IF you're interested!

I-95 through NY city is one of the worst roads I have ever traveled including Alaska. After crossing the George Washing bridge, it became a fight to keep the rig on a straight course. Bolts, nuts, screws and the coffee pot wound up on the floor. What else came loose is anyones guess.

Others commented on the tolls so, I will not say more about them.

Jerry

Jerry, I agree.......... I95 suks !!!!!  Isn't bad North of Newport, Maine and then again there are tolerable sections South of Washington DC !!!!  Anywhere in-between is "Da Pits", especially New Jersey/NYC area....... (Opps, forgot about the I95/495 "Parking Lot" around DC).......

I travelled this route on our way to Connecticut last May.  To avoid the worst of the traffic you need to pick your times, and there is always road construction.  With that said, we didn't have any problems.  No height restrictions, or other issues with driving the m/h through there.  Out of habit I just always us the GW bridge and I-95 unless there is some compelling reason to do otherwise.  For me, traffic is not a problem - I'm used to it.  If traffic and road construction bothers you a lot, you might want to consider an alternate route.  There are other opinions on here, and they are also valid. 

razu13612 said:
Well, I'll be darned..... It worked that time !!!!!

I travel a LOT in the DC to Boston on the East Coast........ Are you REALLY set on using I95?........ Unless you are an experienced RV driver, tolerant of insane drivers, love pot holes, adore bumper to bumper traffic and NOT to mention TOLLS......... Answer back IF you would like my detailed routing !!!!!!!!  I have already tried it twice and it got lost in "cyber space" some where.... I'll gladly type it again IF you're interested!

Yes if you will I would love to know what route you take . I never have liked the idea of going 95 through the city as I didn't care for it the last time through. Thanks, Alan

Every time I take I 95 between the G.W. and the Throgs Neck bridge area, I cringe at the pot holes as my rig rattles and feels like I am on a battle field.  Even with today's gas prices I drive miles out of the way to avoid this stretch of road  known as" the Cross Bronx Expressway".
Take 87 North to 287 east and then get back onto I95.

Well, it's kinda long.......... please bear with me !!!!!

Coming North on I95 into the DC/Baltimore area you have 2 choices to avoid I95 Parking Lot.

Option #1 - Get off I95 BEFORE getting into the jungle.  Get close to DC and get on the I495 going North for about 10 miles, screaming, cussing, cringing, and frowning all the way. Exit the I495 at the I66 interchange and head West heading toward Strasburg.  At Strasburg, pickup I81N toward Harrisburg.  At Harrisburg, I81 and I78 run together for a bit.

Option #2 - Getting off of I95 on the North side of Baltimore.  This is after you have used I95 through the DC Beltway Parking Lot and have really gotten yourself upset, your wife is screaming at you, and the kids are all pulling their shirts over their heads so that they won't see all the Doom's Day Events.  If you elect this option, use I695 around Baltimore, and on the Northern side of Baltimore, exit at the I83 interchange and head toward Harrisburg.  CAUTION, don't get on I76 in/around Harrisburg, it's TOLL.  I83 will interchange with I78, your desired route.

Of these 2 Options, I recommend #1.........

OK, your on I78 heading North to Nova Scotia (eh) !!!!!  Your on I78 heading toward Easton until you get to US33 (4 lane, toll free) near Easton.  Take US33 North toward Stroudsburg and the I80 interchange.  Get on I80 heading East toward Morristown (traffic can get heavy and insane, recommend NON rush / week end travel).

At Morristown, get on the I287 (US202) and head North toward the New York State line.  After crossing the state line, you'll want to get on the NYS Thruway (I87) at Sufferin (TOLL) and head North, using the thruway for about 15 miles.

Exit the thruway near Newburgh, picking up I84.  Heading toward Hartford, keep following I84 until it end, running into the Mass Pike..  Go East on the Mass Pike (TOLL) for about 15 miles and exit at the I290 interchange.  Take I290 until it merges with the I495 near Marlbrough.  Stop here for 2 cups of coffee, a handful of aspirin, and 3 slugs of anti-anxiety drugs............. Get on the dreaded I495 heading North for about 50 miles.  It's reasonably smooth, lotza traffic, and I recommend NON rush hour travel.  Week end travel can be real spotty, varying between bumper-to-bumper and wide open spaces.  Friday PM and Sunday PM are guaranteed headaches !!!!!

Get back on I95 near Newburyport.  Stop at the Bean Outlet, let the wife go shopping.  Stay in the RV and chug a 6 pac of Molson's for having survived the I495!

razu13612 said:
Well, it's kinda long.......... please bear with me !!!!!
Get back on I95 near Newburyport.  Stop at the Bean Outlet, let the wife go shopping.  Stay in the RV and chug a 6 pac of Molson's for having survived the I495!
  Thanks we will  take a good look at your suggestion  at first glance it looks great . We stopped at the Bean outlet on the way home last fall , cant afford to do it again on the way up :=)

Happy Camper, I can't sleep also, so thought I would beat your 0400 postings !!!!!  I started to do some mileage calculations using various routing (AKA learning drag/drop feature of Mapquest) and started noticing mileage/time differences between I-95 from DC to Boston.

Routing via I-95 from Washington DC to Boston shows 495 miles @ 9 hours + 41 min

Routing via I-81 (Harrisburg/Scranton) to Bean Town shows 533 miles @ 9 hours + 21 min

Routing via (Harrisburg/I287/Tapz Bridge) to Boston shows 515 miles @ 9 hours + 20 min

Interesting numbers !!!!!

Take your time and most important pick your time. Head straight over the GW taking 95 through the Bronx up through Conn. Most direct route.. timing is everything. Once you get through the Bronx, clear sailing ahead.

I live on Long Island, so I do it all the time

hpykmpr said:
My wife and I will be leaving in two weeks for our yearly trip to Nova Scotia and are planning as short a trip as possible because of the gas prices . My question ,is it a good idea to take I-95 through New York city with a 36' motor home towing a dolly with a vehicle on board ? Our last trip through the city was in 1987 with a car and I don't know if it has changed since for the better or worse. I don't remember if there were any tunnels or anything else that there may be height restrictions on or not. If anyone has taken this route with a motor home recently we would appreciate any info that may give some insight.  Thanks ,Alan

I live in northern NJ and frequently travel up to MA. I would avoid 95 over the GWB at all costs. If coming from the south, get off the NJ turnpike (I95) at exit 11 - Garden State Parkway. Take the GSP north all the way to the end. Bear right and take 287 to the Tapanzee bridge. Continue on 287 and rejoin I95 north just as it enters CT. It's the route I always take.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom