DirecTV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdst51

Okay, so I got the free RV kit when I changed over to DirecTV (BIG mistake I'm starting to think!) and as I've seen written here before, no instructions whatsoever. Well, I can get the instructions right here, but my one burning question is: my LNB has four ports- which one do I use?!? Or does it matter? Thanks for any info!

tdst51 said:
Okay, so I got the free RV kit when I changed over to DirecTV (BIG mistake I'm starting to think!) and as I've seen written here before, no instructions whatsoever. Well, I can get the instructions right here, but my one burning question is: my LNB has four ports- which one do I use?!? Or does it matter? Thanks for any info!

Dave,

What type of receiver do you have? SD or HD? Just a receiver or DVR?

I THINK if you only need one feed, I don't think it matters which port you use.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
SD and not DVR then I think you can use any port you want and it should work.  If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will jump in and correct me.
That's correct, it does not matter, if all the LNB's are the same. Technically, if connected to active boxes, each LNB could be used simultaneously for service on the same dish.  However, with the different Bands and Satellites, the HD systems may have different freq's  There are many articles and video's on the internet that explain the various systems.

Here is one of the articles that I found:
To receive all of the DirecTV HD channels you must have, at minumum, a triple LNB that receives transmissions from the DirecTV satellites at 101, 110 and 119 degrees West longitude.

The DirecTV satellite dishes which support the triple LNB include:

DirecTV Phase II Plus Dish
    DirecTV Phase III Dish

Alternative, for future compatability with DirecTV?s new Ka Band MPEG-4 HD programming, you can use the AT9 MPEG-4 Compatible Ku/Ka Band dish with five LNBs.

at9 mpeg 4 compatible ku ka band Choosing a DirecTV HD LNB

With an older satellite dish with only one or two LNB?s, you will be able to receive some HDTV programming. However, if you are spending the money to upgrade to HDTV, the cost of a new satellite dish is negligibile in comparison.

It is impossible to tell you which HD channels are broadcast from which satellite, as DirecTV is able to change these assignments at any time and without notice

First that report referencing 110 and 119 is an OLD post, they dropped those birds a while back and now use two other birds at I think 99 and 103 (But do not quote me on that) these are Ka band birds (101 is Ku band)

Since you have SD only all you need is 101.

Any port in a storm, and any port on that LNB head, should work.  They should all be switched internally.. If you have a DVR, then any two ports, still switched internally, If you add a 2nd, 3rd or 4th receiver (or a second DVR) then any 2,3 or 4 ports.

More than that you will need an external Digital Equpment switch, from DirecTV.

We have lots of experts here.  If you need help the odds of one being near you are good. I'm in Southern Ohio (Near Kings Island) this week and South East Michigan next week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom