Onboard PC and digital dash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swinn

I put together a PC to use on board my rig. (1990 Pace Arrow)  I will be using it as a navigation system and also a digital dashboard for RPM, engine temp, volts, etc...

The computer is a 'vehicle PC' and is based on an Opus solutions vehicle pc case which includes a rugged 7.5 - 30V DC power input supply for the computer. It accepts MINI-ITX motherboards.  I put a mini-ITX motherboard in it with 2GB of ram, a 32GB SSD hard drive.

I mounted it under the dash and wired it up to the house power system using an unused accessory switch on the dash to turn it on and off.  I mounted a 7" touch screen LCD screen on the dash using a RAM mounting systems mount with that swivels and tilts.  I used a garmin puck style GPS and just let it sit on the dash for now.

For navigation I am using Microsoft Streets and Trips.  Currently am using an evaluation mode, will buy it if I like it.  There are quite a few choices so I may evaluate two or three before I decide.

I also want to be able to use the PC to monitor and display engine data and other coach information.  Unfortunately my coach is old enough that it does not have an industry standard OBD-II data interface from the engine computer.  Since it is a GM product it has GM specific OBD.  This system uses a plug called ALDL (Assembly Line Diagnostic Link).  I purchased a USB adapter to plug the PC into this ALDL plug on the coach chassis.  This should allow me to display and monitor engine and ECU data right on the PC.  I am not entirely clear what software will be used, I may end up writing my own.  If the vehicle was newer and supported OBD-II there are many software packages available but there is a much more limited selection available for GM's OBD-I implementation.  If I can't find the software I want I'll just write my own.

I may also experiment with adding additional sensor inputs to the PC like tranny temp and other things.  I'm sure modern chassis have all this data already available at their OBD-II port but my old '90 doesn't.

I am basically trying to achieve a 'Silverleaf' type dashboard display on a severe budget and on a very old chassis.  The car PC was one I already had from another project and the GM OBD interface cost $59.  If I write the software myself that may be all of the money expenditure required.

Pics of the installation to follow.

Back
Top Bottom