91 Foretravel Remodel, the adventure begins.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDH16

Last spring I purchased a partially restored '91 Foretravel 36' Grand Villa ORED with the intent of finishing the resto with a few modifications to change it from a high end MH meant for a full timing couple to a four season camper for a family of five.
We took it on a few trips last year including a 600 mile jaunt through Ohio, which included driving through a thunderstorm with 40 to 60 MPH crosswinds which really made me appreciate the stability of the heavy Oshkosh chassis.
Early this year I started to work in earnest on the upgrades and modifications.  The first thing to go was the Sony cassette deck head unit and the nearly shot in-dash CRT monitor for the Audit system and back up camera.  Both units were replaced by a single DIN Pioneer CD/DVD player with a flip up LCD screen, I clipped the bayonet connector off of the Audit system and replaced it with a male RCA plug which went into the video in port on the head unit.  Now I have a very clear picture of what's behind me and a great sounding radio with iPod in.  The original 12 Volt CRT television followed the radio and was replaced by a 19" Hitachi LED TV on an articulated arm mount and a 400 watt modified sine wave inverter.
Next I removed the defunct Kool-O-Matic fan and replaced it with a MAXXAIR TurboMaxx unit with which I am extremely pleased, it moves a truly astounding amount of air on less than half of the amperage drawn by the Kool-O-Matic.  Tomorrow I will be replacing the dead vent fan in the bathroom with a new Fantastic Fan unit.  After Memorial Day Weekend camping with friends I'll be deep sixing the recliner and swivel chair and replacing them with a second jack knife sofa to provide comfortable sleeping space for the three kids and a friend or two.
Future modifications include deciding what I am going to do with the little entertainment center in the bedroom, we're not big TV watchers so I think I'm going to yank the TV and convert the whole deal into a small wine/ liquor rack.  Replacing the aging Audit  system with a modern SeeLevel or equivalent tank monitoring system and installing heat blankets under the grey and black tanks for full four season capability are also on the books.  As some point I am going to have  to decide what to do about the exterior, which looks good from afar, but up close the striping and gelcoat are far from good.  I have an idea involving a matte tan or khaki paint job and big eyes and shark teeth like a Cobra gunship, unfortunately my spouse has declared that said paint job may also involve a divorce attorney :  (.  Finally I suspect the engine will have to be dealt with eventually, it's currently running a Detroit 8.2TL Fuel Pincher, which runs great and gets 11.5 MPG, but at 210HP and about 500 ft/lb torque is pretty light on the power side for a coach that runs 20,000 lb wet and loaded.
I'm sure the modifications and upgrades will be an ongoing process for a few years to come, but hey, it's fun and it keeps me from running the streets!
MDH

MDH16 said:
  I have an idea involving a matte tan or khaki paint job and big eyes and shark teeth like a Cobra gunship, unfortunately my spouse has declared that said paint job may also involve a divorce attorney

Sometimes the spouse needs to  give some gentle guidance to keep ideas real.  Good for her!

Betty
A spouse

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom