Proper Rooftop Accessory Mounting Procedure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anemic

What is the "drill" (haha!) for mounting new things to the roof in such a way that water is not a problem? Items I have in mind include solar panels mounted w/the basic 90 ell bracket with probably 4 of them per panel, one screw per bracket. I could simply shove the screw in behind a pile of RV caulk. Seems like there may be a better way.

The roof is an old EPDM on a laminate on a steel frame, which is about to get a fresh coat of liquid EPDM. I think I will mount the panels first, then remove the panels, leaving the brackets behind, then coat the roof, and complete panel installation.

On a boat, one would overbore the screw hole, fill the void with thickened epoxy, then drill into that. This isolates the core from water intrusion, very effectively. Is that SOP on proper RV installations as well?

Perhaps one goops up the screw holes and then eternabonds over that?

Whats the drill experts?

Thanks

I just drill the hole as usual, fill it with a good caulk and also bed the bracket or whatever I am mounting in the caulk before setting the screw. Then caulk over the top for good measure. I use a large, coarse threaded screw to get a good bite on the thin plywood substrate.  If you are worried about stress pulling it loose (not a problem in my experience), you can use some type of screw anchor or toggle bolt. I mounted a portable boat rack on the roof of two different RVs with no problems and used only lag screws.

Back
Top Bottom