Retrofit Shoulder restraints

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ochidoc

Hello!

Just took our first trip in our 2005 Hurricane - So far so good, but I would like to know if anyone has any experience installing  shoulder belts in the dinette bench.  I have two small children, and when the fell asleep at the table, they were just a smushy floppy mess!  They are too big for actual carseats, and one is bigger than the other, so removing the cushion so one could use the booster caused a HUGE incident, and dissent.  It really didn't solve the "flopping" problem either, so the cushion stayed.

Has anyone installed shoulder belts on the  dinette for children?

PS - I also sliced a swim noodle open, and slid it along the edge of the table for travelling... made me feel better about safety!

If the Kids are not travelling in seat belts, you may have legal issues too, should a LEO have the occasion to enter your vehicle for any reason.

The law in Canada, and I presume, most if not all States, require all travellers to be belted in. Unfortunately, not all seats in many RV's have seat belts and these are often marked with stickers to the effect that these particular seats "are not to be occupied while underway".

Glad you are looking into this aspect but remember, the manufacturer did not put belts in certain seats for a reason, perhaps because there was an inadequate means of securing them to meet the appropriate standards. (or maybe they were just plain cheap!)....

I doubt if there is a reasonable way to install shoulder harnesses that would pass any kind of safety test by the DOT or whoever.  However, I believe your main goal is to prevent the kids from just flopping.  And, I know kids can just flop.  I have several photos and videos of my kids on poddy chairs, high chairs and most everywhere flopping as they take a little power nap.  If all you are trying to do is restrain the little critters so they don't bask their foreheads as they pass out, I would think something simple could be fabricated that attached over the back of the seat and looped through the lap belt.  Just thinking...

Back
Top Bottom