Powered outlet while towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

offthemark

Really noob electrical question...

I have a plug in coleman cooler (the type with the built in fan/cooling system) that we use for longer trips when the fridge won't hold everything.  It will run off 12V DC (cigarette lighter) or with it's converter, 120V AC.  I'd like to have a way to power it while driving down the road.  There are no power ports in the bed of my truck so that doesn't work.  I tried to find an outlet in my trailer that was powered when attached to the TV with the TV running.  All the lights seems to work but none of the outlets.  Should any of the outlets be powered by the inverter when drawing from the TV or am I going to have to do some wiring? 

The outlets to be powered by the inverter depends on the installation of the inverter. Most small inverters in RVs are set up for the entertainment system only. Larger inverter set-ups would typically include some outlets, e.g. the microwave, as well.

The size of the battery bank as well as the size of the inverter itself is a limitation.

Why not just run a 12v circuit from the truck battery/alternator to the bed if that's where the cooler will ride?

Back
Top Bottom