wondering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eliallen

I have a 2007 GMC 6L, Gas, 4X4, Fully loaded  (33 Foot TT) I am 1500 lbs under my GCWR. Wife wants to visit  Custer State park in South Dakota. Do I have enough truck to make the trip?

It might help to know where you're traveling from, are you going over the Rockies?

Wendy

From Eastern Nebraska,  I-80 to Hwy 2 , and 385 up to SD.

You should make the trip fine, but be prepared to slow down going up the grades. As long as you are not in a hurry you shouldn't have any issues. Just make sure all the fluids are in good shape in the T/V. Don't travel with too much water in the fresh tank, and make sure your tires are fully inflated to handle the load.  Then enjoy the ride!

Looking at your specs another way, your truck is probably rated to tow 10,000#'s and a 33' TT that is fully loaded might weigh that much and take all your towing capacity.  Do you know the GVWR of your trailer?  That might be a better way to look at your rigs abilities. 

We made a loop back in 2007: NY - MT via I-90, down into UT on I-15 and then back to NY via I-80/I-90 and were at about the same GCWR you are now (1000 or so below max). I had a 2002 6.0L Silverado at the time. Got the job done but very slowly on some roads. Interstates were ok for the most part - easy grades. Worst part was either in or out of Vernal UT (in, I'm pretty sure). Maxed out at about 20 - 25 MPH on some nasty switchbacks! Tranny was hot hot hot!

Truck rated to tow 13000, GVWR weight on trailer is 8000. 

Made the trip with out a problem. Nice roads in Custer Park.

Glad you made it and had a good time.  I got my one and only speeding ticket in Custer.  I was doing 17m/h in a 15m/h zone by the school at 7:00 am and the sign gave the speed limit when children present.  Never did see any children at that time of morning.  Mn plates in SD???

Back
Top Bottom