Bathroom remodel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanJ

I'll be fulltiming it at least for the summer, possibly longer if I can manage it. I recently bought a 1971 Road Ranger. It was cheap, no leaks, no mold, but definitely a project. I think I have a pretty good idea how to handle most of the repairs, but the bathroom is a bit beyond me right now. I have a few problems.
First, I'm on a tight budget, so I can't just special order whatever I need.
The shower is 2' by 2', and in poor shape. I needs to be replaced, but I don't know where to find a shower pan that small for cheap.
The blackwater tank needs to be repaired or replaced, which I have no idea how to do yet. Also, I won't be able to move the trailer frequently to empty the blackwater tank.
I don't know if the toilet even works at this point. The water lines were removed to be replaced, but the previous owner didn't finish that project before he gave up and sold it. I don't know how that toilet is even supposed to operate, so I'm not sure how to check at this point.

So here's my idea on how to solve all these problems at once. I could get a larger shower in there (free or cheap off Craig's List), remove the toilet to make the shower fit, and use a portable camping toilet which could be taken to a restroom to be emptied as needed.

I'm not exactly sure how a larger shower would fit, since the door is at an angle, and the back wall isn't straight up and down.

Here are some pics. The shower is 2' by 2'. The block the toilet is on is also 2' by 2'. The room, looking at the pictures, the wall behind the toilet is 4 feet long. The wall to the right of the toilet is 3 feet 4 inches. The wall in front of the toilet is 2 feet 4 inches. The door is diagonal between that wall and the 2 foot wall behind the shower. There is a sink alcove in front of the toilet, but I'm going to take that out and turn it into storage, so I'm calling it a wall instead.

Obviously, this is a huge learning experience for me! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/brave-ireland/_DSC3171.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/brave-ireland/_DSC3178.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/brave-ireland/_DSC3179.jpg

I guess I should add, there used to be a leak, which caused the back wall behind the toilet to bow out, and will need to be repaired. The leak was repaired and everything is dry now and not moldy.

where are you going to dump your shower water? The portable commode would solve your black tank.

I'd try a search on ebay for an RV shower pan.  I seen some for as low as $80, and if you are lucky you'll hit it when someone is parting out an RV.  It may still be hard to find one that small since the newer RVs went big.

Or try an RV salvage yard, there are a few around that may be able to send you a used shower pan.  If you google RV salvage and make some phone calls you might find what you need that way.

Another thing you can try is if you have an area where there are auto wrecking yards, go drive around until you find one that has an RV in it's lot.  They are usually only after the motor/tranny/chassis and will sell you the rest really cheap, you might have to pull it out yourself.

What part of the country are you in?  I just saw an older (70s) RV that was hit by a falling tree at the local RV repair shop I'm certain they won't be fixing it and it is probably headed for the scrap yard.

We may try recycling shower water for watering plants. I'll need to figure out if the soap I use would be too hard on plants or grass. I'm going to be parked on a friend's property for the summer. I may move after that, either to park elsewhere, or get a room or apartment for the winter.

I'm located near Seattle.

So far everything is a bit out of my price range. The bathroom remodel may have to wait until after I've moved in. I'll be able to use the shower in the house I'll be parked near, but I'd like to have my own so I'm more self sufficient. After I've moved, I'll be able to save the money I'm currently using on rent, so I'll be able to spend a bit more on the remodel, if necessary.

shop for greenie weenie organic soap at a health food store. some people need to use organics for everything. Should be fine for watering plants.

The big box hardware stores sell a 4x8 sheet of fiberglass used in kitchen and bathrooms you might be able to get it to work as a liner if you seal it good it should last for awhile.

Try RV Salvage yards. Do a google search on rv salvage and you will come up with a bunch. No need to buy new overpriced stuff when used will do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom