Bad Luck Continues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

judway

My luck follows a few of yours. Monday we left for our trek north and planned a first stop at Walterboro, SC. After about 300+ miles someone pulled up side of me, waved and pointed. I quickly stopped and walked back to the rear and saw smoke coming out of the hood of my new Chev Cruse towed car. After a quick look I found no fire. After a short time I continued on up to the Green Acres CG without any problems. Tuesday I towed it to the local Chevy dealer and found that the transmission was fried won't get it back until next Monday. We followed all of the conditions to tow. The car is now in Walterboro and we are now in Ashville, NC and on our way to Pigeon Forge, TN. We plan to rent a car while there. Seems like this is a bad year for several of us.

Oh Wayne, what a bummer!  Hope that Chevy covers the damages without giving you grief! 

When we began towing our Acadia wehn they were a new model (2007), we found out the recreational towing instructions in the owner manual were wrong! In our case it monly caused the battery to run down every time we towed, but maybe something more serious is wrong in your Cruze's instructions.

Darn Wayne, I thought that black cloud has disbursed.  Hopefully Chevy will take care of everything.

We just dropped off the motor home at the body shop this afternoon; they'll do the estimate and we'll go from there.  No telling how long it will take to get the job done.

Uploading good thoughts!

Marsha~

The service manager talking to me indicated that he thought there would be no problem with the warranty. He said to keep the receipts for other costs like car rental and he would ask for reimbursements. He said they have been known for honoring those. I rented an older Buick today for $35 per day plus tax. The big cost will be the car rental from Ohio back to SC to pick the Cruz up.

I'd sure want to know what happened or I'd be very nervous about towing it again.  Chevy might not be so considerate if it happens again.

He was going to call the technical service at Chevrolet to see if they had any idea of why the problem occurred. The fact that the problem occurred over 300 miles from the start was interesting. It seems like it should have happened a lot sooner than that if I had done something wrong.

Wayne,
What transmission does your Chevy have. I am towing a Chevy Colorado next week for the first time, it has the 5 cylinder and the four speed automatic. Hope I don't have anymore bad luck this year.
Jim

Jim,

Our GMC Canyon is the same truck as your Colorado and we have towed ours for 35000 miles with no problems.  Just follow the instructions in the owner's manual.  Ours is the 4WD with transfer case that has a neutral.

Our Cruze has a 6 speed automatic. The manual says to put in neutral and the key to on. Also remove fuse 22. This is about the same as with our previous Malibu. We towed the Malibu  about 50Kmi without any problem.

Wayne,

Really sorry to hear about your problems. Sure wish that black cloud would leave the forum!!!! Hope all turns out well.

Sorry to hear about your problem, Wayne.  The only Cruze towing restrictions that I know of from Chevy is to not go over 65 mph and to run the thing at each fuel stop for 5 minutes to lubricate the transmission, but it sounds like you were doing those...

Ned said:
Jim,

Our GMC Canyon is the same truck as your Colorado and we have towed ours for 35000 miles with no problems.  Just follow the instructions in the owner's manual.  Ours is the 4WD with transfer case that has a neutral.

Thanks Ned, I got the truck because it was easy to place the transfer case in neutral and also you can turn the key off and lock the doors. Hoping for a smooth summer of cursing.
Jim

Jim,

Be sure to use the arm rest switch to lock the doors and not the remote.  If your truck has an anti-theft alarm, the remote will arm it and the horn will start blowing after a couple of blocks of towing :)

Ned said:
...Be sure to use the arm rest switch to lock the doors and not the remote.  If your truck has an anti-theft alarm, the remote will arm it and the horn will start blowing after a couple of blocks of towing :)

Sounds like the voice of experience speaking.  ;)

Thanks NED, I made a 80 mile road trip today. The truck behaved great actually better than the Buick Rendezvous I was towing. All good today except for a low battery on one of the tire monitors. Will post a separate post.
Jim

When it rains it pours. Maybe a little ice too.

Last night while we were at the Smith Brothers Show in Pigeon Forge, TN there was a bodacious hail storm at the campground. After the show when we got to the campground there were leaves all over the ground. One of our neighbors said what had happened and suggested that we check the RV. I didn?t see much wrong at the time. The next morning when taking a shower the skylight looked kinda strange. When I started to dump the tanks I found the hose full of holes and totally destroyed.

When we got to Aberdeen Ohio I climbed on to the roof and found baseball size holes in both vent covers and the top layer of the skylight in the shower. One of the FM antennas was missing. I also found a crack in the windshield. The fiberglass roof seemed OK.

The towed car has been repaired with a new transmission. Now all I have to do is to find a cheap way to Walterboro, SC to pick it up. About 1400 miles round trip.

The black cloud is still over us!

Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time!  Well, look on the bright side -- at least it wasn't a tornado.  :-\

Last time I had a vehicle caught in damaging hail was back in high school.  Hope I'm not due... 

Back
Top Bottom