Exterior Markings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MARC and DEE

Hello everyone!.

We recently  traded our 08 Itasca Class C Spirit for a beautiful and like new 05 Horizon 40KD. We drove it to Santa Fe N. Mex. for it's " over - the -road"  shake down trip and we we very impressed in every way.  I do have a question and maybe someone can enlighten me as to why. This coach has no markings indicating it is a "Horizon" other than the rock guard behind the rear duals which is a chrome metal plate with the word "HORIZON" The coach dies have the small "ITASCA" insignia on both front and rear but that is all. No wording of any kind as I have seen on other Horizons.

Any ideas as to why Winnebago may not have added the markings as I have seen on all the other Horizons?  I don't know if the original owner ordered the coach this way and I also know the coach has never had any damage requiring a new paint job.

We don't have any either, people ask us all the time what model it is because like yourself we do have the Winnebago emblem's on front and rear and that is it. We were told by our dealer that the previous owner was a salesman and used it as a mobile office so he did not want the Winnebago advertising distracting from his business. Personally I think it looks better w/o them and it is a conversation starter so you get to speak with allot of great people that may not have sparked a conversation otherwise ;).

I guess I will be the first to disagree.  I like the Horizon logo on my coach.  You could order new letters from a Winnebago dealer.  They come pre-arranged on a sheet of clear plastic.  To apply you remove the backing and lay the plastic sheet down and apply pressure to the letters.  I had to do this on my mudflap when I replaced it.  The letters came separate from the mudflap.  I have attached a photo of the Horizon logo on the side of my coach.  There is no visual deterioration after 6 1/2 years.

Attachments

• Horizon-Logo.jpg
    Horizon-Logo.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 65
LK23 said:
I guess I will be the first to disagree.  I like the Horizon logo on my coach.

I'm #2 - I don't find the lettering overdone at all and I'm fine the way the coach came.

The 2005 model year for the Horizon/Vectra was a good one, you have a side radiator and IFS (both highly desirable.)  In model year 2006 and up, the front axle was rated for 14,400 pounds instead of our 12k.  The only change was a larger steering gear box.

Congratulations on buying a great coach!

Thank you John.

We did a lot of looking, comparing, reading and research before we bought this particular coach coach and we are very pleased with it so far. I have read your web site several times and I am amazed at all the things you have done to your Horizon. You are a very talented and resourceful man. Congratulations to you and all of your accomplishments.

You mentioned the only change was a larger steering gear box. I noticed this coach has a center box with linkage rather than the left side steering box and rod from wheel to wheel. So did they change to a larger box in the later models or was this the first year for this particular larger box?

As far as I know the only change between the 12,000 pound ZF front suspension and the 14,400 suspension was a beefier gear box in the model year 2006.  I don't know if it was relocated.  Bottom line for me is that going over 12k pounds a little on the front axle isn't a big deal.

The tires are also changed from a G rating to a H rating.
H rated tires can carry the 14000lbs while G rated tires only go upto 12000lbs The tire change wad made on the 2006 models. Some 2005 models were already equiped with heavier rateed steering gear box.

Good point about the tires Harry.  When it was tire replacement time, we went to Michelin XZA3 Load Range H and instead of needing to run 115-120 pounds of air in the front, we can run 100-105.  If you have original tires on your Horizon Marc, it's time to think about replacement.

Our chassis was built in Feb of '05, so we undoubtedly have the smaller steering gear box.

Thanks  for the info and yes I did replace the original Michelin tires with the XZA3, load range H tires as well as new batteries. The coach had 18,00 mi on it when we bought it but I knew they were at their warranty limits time wise. Michelin warrants the tires from manufacture date not the install date, ( which I think should be prorated) so i told the tire dealer I wanted the newest he could get. Eleven eleven is what went on all six rims. Now thats fresh!

You did good on the tires!  A month or two ago I spent about 1500 bucks with truck freight included on five Goodyear MT/R Kevlar offroad tires for our Rubicon (ordered from Tirerack.com since I couldn't get them locally) and to my complete surprise the date code was about the middle of 2010  :eek:  :mad: .

With 18K miles on your Horizon, the engine is just getting broken in.

Update:

I investigated the possibility of ordering a set of three, (both sides and rear) stick on "HORIZON" and "Itacsa" logos. Winnebago stated they did not have any in stock however they could have some made at $236.00 per logo which would mean a total of $708.00 plus shipping.  :eek: YIKES!!!!

Guess I'll remain an "undercover" Horizon.

Marc

I may do that someday John but for now I think I would rather put that money into a flat screen upgrade to replace the continuously squeaky Sony mounted over th dash.I am going to keep the hand painted logo option open tho. John, you mentioned in your web site you replaced the factory Itasca captains chairs with two Flexsteel chairs? Did you do the removal and install yourself ? Did you stay with leather and heated? How complicated was that process?

Thanks .

Marc

We ordered the chairs at Bradd & Hall in Elkhart, IN (we went with cloth, no heat, electric foot rest for the co-pilot chair) and let them install the chairs.  The new chairs fit on the old bases - took the guys maybe two hours to make the swap.

Thanks for the info Dar,

I have sent an email to Mobility RV and waiting a response. Hopefully they may have those decals and at a reasonable price.

Marc

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom