Yellowstone Today - The Eagle has Landed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
On our return from Bozeman yesterday we spotted the eagle in it's nest east of the West Yellowstone entrance. We were wondering when/ if it would return. The eagle jam has already begun. We were able to stop and take a few photos. I expect today the park officials will be putting up the signs telling people to keep moving. It really creates a big problem. They will most likely have temporary rangers keeping the traffic moving.

I attached one photo of the eagle and one of a big horn ewe with a baby that I got coming back from Gardiner on Monday. The baby is lying down near the mother's rear leg. Only the head is visible.

Attachments

• Eagle.jpg
    Eagle.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Big Horn.jpg
    Big Horn.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 96
anemic said:
FANTASTIC!

I agree!  I don't believe there is an animal as majestic looking as an eagle, it's no wonder it is our national symbol.  Thanks for sharing the photos.

Luca1369 said:
I agree!  I don't believe there is an animal as majestic looking as an eagle, it's no wonder it is our national symbol.  Thanks for sharing the photos.

On the other hand, the Eagles at Hyder, AK, gorge so much on the dead salmon they can't get off the ground.  It was almost embarrassing :)

Maybe the Hyder eagle is a more appropriate symbol the USA?  ::)

Many of us US citizens do have an obesity problem, including me. 50+# loss is ok, but another 50 would help me a lot!

Eagles are carrion eaters and masterful at stealing food from other birds if they can intimidate them. They even steal from other smaller eagles whenever they can.  Not kind of the national symbol I was raised to believe in.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Eagles are carrion eaters and masterful at stealing food from other birds if they can intimidate them. They even steal from other smaller eagles whenever they can.  Not kind of the national symbol I was raised to believe in.

Well then Gary, perhaps I shouldn't draw a correlation with the eagle stealing food and our forefathers stealing parts of our nation from those who were here first.

Even so, the eagle has quite a unique facial appearance, I didn't meant to start a political discussion.

Maybe Ben Franklin really did have a better idea with the turkey.  See here for his quote.

The ones Jim saw are the traffic jam causing eagles.  This makes our trips into West Yellowstone and back more problematic.

As to the turkey, just not that good looking.

As to stealing food, I saw on a video a coyote running away from a carcass with a chunk of meat.  Eagle swoops in from behind and grabs it and flies away.

While on a whale watching trip out of Juneau, we took a movie of an Eagle that was pulled under water by a fish that was just too large for it to pull out of the water! Its feathers were wet and it couldn't fly, so it did the breast stroke about 100 yards to the shore.  After it got to shore, it spread out its wings to dry.  The Captain of the tour boat said in his 18 years giving tours, its the first time he had seen a "swimming Eagle".  He said that more Eagles die from drowning after being pulled under water than by any other way. 

We've taken dozens of pictures of eagles, but still can't resist adding another when we get a chance!! :)

Ken,

You may be correct!! Animals seem to have a second sense that humans just don't have or ignore. ;D ;D ;D

Jim Dick said:
Ken,

You may be correct!! Animals seem to have a second sense that humans just don't have or ignore. ;D ;D ;D

I hear they can sense when the volcano is gonna blow...    ;)

Jim,
Were at camp Cummins in Coburg OR.  Appointment tomorrow morning for routine service.
Hope to be on the road by noon headed towards Yellowstone, so it's time for some warmer weather there!
Tell the eagle to return.

See you soon.

Ken

[quote author=Ken & Sheila]Were at camp Cummins in Coburg OR.[/quote]

Ken, IIRC that's a Cummins Coach Care facility? Haven't stayed there, but have bought stuff at their parts department.

Yes it is a Coach care shop. Unlike a lot of Coach Care facilities this one is actually qualified to work on most chassis (including Monaco) and a lot of appliances.

I had them covert my front hubs to oil bath two years ago. Last November they also re-did a warranty job that was botched by Coach Care in Grand Junction, CO.

I've been coming here off and on since 1999 - pre-Coach Care.

ken

Thanks for that info Ken. Sounds like a good place to get things done.

Back
Top Bottom