Gall Bladder Surgery Recovery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My wife had hers removed three years ago and a week later we were starting a 2,500 mile trip.  Bad move.  She lied about feeling good enough to do it and I fell for it.  Long story short, it was a miserable trip for her because of post-op pain.  She was ok within about three weeks total but probably would've been quicker if she had rested a little longer.  Just proves that you can never trust a native born Texas woman!

sheltie said:
...  Just proves that you can never trust a native born Texas woman!

Ouch.  My son married one last year!  :)

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement.  I talk to the surgeon on Monday...

I think I will have them take my GB out just so I can keep up with the rest of you!!! I know bout those Texas women that's why I got a Cajun girl....just couldn't leave well enough alone.

I had laparoscopic gall bladder surgery 4 years ago.  I think for 99+% of the people it is a piece of cake.  But surgery IS surgery. 

When I had my "simple" outpatient laparoscopic procedure I had a VERY severe reaction to antibiotic I was given and two days later almost died.  If we had delayed another half hour or so to figure out what was going on rather then heading for the emergency room there is a good chance I would not be typing this.  Spent 9 hours in emergency and then 4 days in intensive care and then I was fine.  Had never be allergic to anything in the past but now I stay away from Keflex and Cipro.

Well, tomorrow is G-Day.  (Gallbladder removal)

I'm scheduled for 10:30am.  Prayers appreciated.

Things went well yesterday.  The actual operation took about 40 minutes.  I was in the car headed home an hour after the surgery ended.

The surgeon said that this must have been going on for a while since there was scar tissue from previous inflammation.  The gallstones were about the size of a green pea.  He also found a small hernia in my groin area, but he said that if it wasn't bothering me, don't worry about it.

Today, I'm trying to manage the pain without being too dependent on drugs.  I think everything is headed in the right direction.  Our bodies are truly "fearfully and wonderfully made."

Thanks for all who gave words of encouragement and prayers. 

I'm glad it all went well too.

"He also found a small hernia in my groin area"  They always look to repeat business.  ::)

"I'm trying to manage the pain without being too dependent on drugs."  Take the drugs.  You won't get hooked and you might as well be comfortable.

Frank,

That hernia probably won't bother you. I had one for 9 years which was found by my surgeon when I had the gastronoma removed last year. He repaired it at the same time. Never knew I had it!!!

Jim Dick said:
Frank,

That hernia probably won't bother you. I had one for 9 years which was found by my surgeon when I had the gastronoma removed last year. He repaired it at the same time. Never knew I had it!!!

The surgeon told Cheryl that he ordinarily would have repaired it while he was in there, but he doesn't do it with gallbladder surgery because there is a greater chance of infection.

Jammer said:
Good luck and best wishes.  It's one of the most commonly performed surgeries.  I had mine done in the morning and was back at work the next day.

"You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din."  I don't know how you did that, Jammer.  It's not that the pain has been so bad -- that's been improving steadily every day.  It's just trying to get all the body systems we take for granted (like plumbing & bowels) back to some semblance of "normal" again. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom