Replacing batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allen Kuhn

One of the two 1 1/2 year old Deka GC25 house batteries has died. What problems are there if i replace it with a new Deka GC25. That is, will the old battery run down the new battery more? Or should both batteries be replaced at the same time?    Thank you, Allen.

Generally, you should replace both batteries at the same time.  If the old battery is weak, it will draw down the new one and you won't get the full use of them.

That's a tough question at 1.5 years on a golf cart battery, but the only safe answer is to replace both.  Have you had the other GC25 load tested? Up to about two years I would hope that I could replace one of a pair of golf cart batteries and still get decent performance from the pair.

Next question is why did the battery fail? I would expect to get  6-73 years out of it with adequate maintenance.

Although that?s not the answer I wanted, I appreciate your input Ned and Gary. I will look for that 73 year warranty thought. That may even out last me. I learned the hard way about marine batteries on my original Kit trailer when I thought all modern batteries were no maintenance. But I still got 4 or 5 years out of them.

The Deka?s are 6 volt and I do check the water level frequently and the water level is fine. The other battery tested fine out of the RV. Don't think i'll try Dekas again at #369 for two. Where's Costco?

Great service you provide, but it did take you 15 minutes for an answer.  Many thanks, Allen

A weaker battery in a pair of 6 volters in series won't have the same effect as a weaker battery in a 12 volt parallel pair - would it?  It might cause the new battery to boil out quicker so watching the water level would be important.  So, I would recommend the OP replace the one bad battery and, if the older battery tested well, just watch the water.

With batteries in SERIES. they need to be same, same, same, same,, That is as close to each other as is practically possible.. Same make, model, size, age and state of charge.

With batteries in PARALLEL.. you need not be so particular.

The reason for this is that batteries in series are not really batteries in series, they are battery in more than one part.

They are 2 halves of the same battery.

Would you buy a 12 volt (Single case) battery where 3 cells were brand new and 3 were over a year old?  I don't think so, neither would I, but that is exactly what you are asking about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom