1988 Tioga. Need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eodvic

I am considering buying a 1988 Tioga model "T"(28 ft). It is in great condition, has 21,000 miles? Underneath it looks almost new. I am new to RVs and wanted to know about the problem areas in these particular model? The overall condition of the vehicle leads to believe that the mileage is accurate, but at the same time seems low for a vehicle this old. Please feel free to provide advice, suggestions or ideas,. Thanks,

Victor

Victor, I can see an "88" with 22,000 miles. We bought our "94" with 30,000 miles. I think many times families who buy RV's do weekends and maybe a week or two during the year, then let them sit for long periods of time. I would definately check out the library above and print out the checklists for buying rv's. Also check the date codes on the tires and if they are older than about 7 years old figure on replacing them no matter how much tread they have. Good luck with your shopping.

Eodvic,

I bought an '89 Tioga arrow in 2002 with 6,700 miles on it. I traded it in last year with just over 13,000.  It was my first RV and there was a bit of a learning curve.

Leaks, many!  If you have the front window in the bunk over the cab, check all around for any sign of leaks.  If you don't want to spend time, money and effort fixing it, walk away. Previous owners of mine did nothing and water was seeping down through the front for many years.  I think that had something to do with electical problems under the dash, water was getting in that far and messing with things. I also saw evidence of leaks around the side cabin windows and the taillights.  I was able to seal these up, but finding a lead at 3AM when you lean against the wall in your sleep is NOT fun.

In 2005 I started smelling ammonia and sure enough, the fridge stopped cooling.  I installed a new one which would have cost a LOT to have someone install.  As it was, I did the work myself, fitting the 25 inch wide fridge through the 24.5 inch door! $1200 for a new fridge.

Otherwise it was a nice running unit, the cabin AC ran until late 2009, just making it through that summer. The water damage was too much, and the unit was too small, so we had planned for some time to get something bigger.

I'd inspect it well, have them demonstrate every feature of the vehicle, generator, fridge, dash AC, cabin AC, gas, as well as shore power.  Have the water hooked up so you can check for leaks in the plumbing ( I had to use a restrictor to keep the plumbing from leaking all over).  Take it for a good drive and get a good feel for it, too.  Then plan your first trip!

Carl

Back
Top Bottom