EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: CB Radios  (Read 4815 times)

The Master Gunny

• ---
CB Radios
« on: May 26, 2011, 11:13:53 PM »
Are CB radios still being used by RVers as much as they use to, or will it be a waste of dollars to have one installed?
John Coy
2004 Four Winds Windsport 32R

wylie

• ---
Re: CB Radios
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 05:42:11 AM »
I just bought one,like the idea of trucker info on long trips. Bought a magnetic antenna ,also have it so you can plug it into cig lighter,making it able to move from vehicle,to another .

Wizard46

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 07:01:36 AM »
I have one installed. We sometimes travel with friends and its very handy then, as long as we are close and we keep it on channel 13 or 16.

Traveling alone, I will sometimes turn it on the the trucker channel just to see what's on it but usually just leave it off. Most of what you hear on the trucker channel is not what you would want your family listening to.
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Home: Milledgeville Ga.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 07:17:26 AM »
We use a CB radio when traveling with other RVs as it has a longer range than the handheld FRS radios.  We do have an external antenna on the roof that makes the difference.  It also makes a useful intercom when camped with other RVs in a group.  Other than that, we may turn it on in construction and areas of heavy traffic for road reports from the truckers.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

donandmax

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 08:01:03 AM »
I removed mine because cell phones have replaced the CB. Nothing of interest anymore except a bunch of nasty talk. And we dont like to hear that especially with our grand daughter on board.
Happy Motoring
Don
Don and Maxine
1996 damon Intruder 33 ft class A
Amber the spoiled rotten Dachshund

ochidoc

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 08:10:08 AM »
I had thought about bringing one along on our cross country venture for emergencies?  Does anyone monitor them any more?  I'm assuming there  would be some CB reception where cell service might not be available?  Or should I just leave it home?....

Conquest aka Robert

• ---
  • 1996 gulfstream conquest ultra 102
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 08:30:24 AM »
Channel 9 is still monitored. I believe most police still have some kind of CB in there cars. I would bring it I carry a little portable not a lot of power more for peace of mind than anything.
1996 GulfStream Conquest Ultra 102  04-19-2011.
2009 Honda Ruckus
1984 Southwind for 6 years.
1 Wife
6 Children who needs pets

Bobandpamlemay

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 08:33:12 AM »
When we travel, with and without our 5er, I use the cb for road issues. I don't have it on always because of the nasty useless conversation but it is handy if we see a slowdown. It has saved us tons of time getting around accidents.

Bob
Bob and Pam
Schaumburg, Ill
2008 F250 Diesel 
2009 Komfort 34' fifth wheel

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 10:17:09 AM »
Well if you need HELP! Channel 9 is still designted  for Emergency/Priority use and there re still some REACT teams that monitor it across the country.

however CB is not as popular as it once was.. That is all I can tell you.

I do run with mine on when on the freeway.. But turn it off in the city for the most part.

I run with ham on most of the time.  In fact I'm listening to 70cm band as I type.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Tony_Alberta

• ---
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 05:48:32 PM »
I like the Cobra 75 wx st because it only requires the microphone to be mounted somewhere convenient and not the entire book sized radio.

Jammer

• ---
  • Moar Aluminuminum!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 06:10:13 PM »
I have run into specific situations where they are useful for coordinating with other people I'm traveling with but overall I prefer the cell phone.

In the few areas where cell phone coverage isn't available they have an obvious advantage.

2004 Suburban 2500 4wd 8.1 / 2010 Airstream Classic 30' /
1997 K2500 regular cab long bed pickup / 1971 Cayo C-11

echizento

• ---
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 11:26:20 PM »
I bought one when I travelled from Mass to Washington State. Tried using it several times to contact other RVers or truckers for road conditions, etc.
Never received any replies :-[

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 11:21:45 AM »
Back in the 70's when Chip Davis was recording "Convey" under his alias.. CB's were hot, The band was a jumping and if you hung a receiver on 19 it was hard to drive a mile without hearing something.

Today.. not so much,, I still find them useful, I've heard official DOT broadcasts of road conditions and other stuff that I was very much interested in hearing.. I've found out about traffic issues down the road, and chatted with a few folks.

But mostly I hear... NOTHING.

However this is a fact: When "Stuff" happens, (And Stuff always happens) it pays to have multiple channels of communications on hand.. Cell phones are great.. IF you have a signal.. If not then CB may just save the day (Chan 9 first, then 19 and pray for a trucker with "Ears on")  I also have several ham bands I can try (But that requires a license).  Communications can, and for many, many, people has already, Make the difference between an article "How Radio Saved My Life" and "We are gathered here today in remembrance of our dearly departed __Author's name here___
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Hosted by Over The Network