CB Radios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just bought one,like the idea of trucker info on long trips. Bought a magnetic antenna ,also have it so you can plug it into cig lighter,making it able to move from vehicle,to another .

I have one installed. We sometimes travel with friends and its very handy then, as long as we are close and we keep it on channel 13 or 16.

Traveling alone, I will sometimes turn it on the the trucker channel just to see what's on it but usually just leave it off. Most of what you hear on the trucker channel is not what you would want your family listening to.

We use a CB radio when traveling with other RVs as it has a longer range than the handheld FRS radios.  We do have an external antenna on the roof that makes the difference.  It also makes a useful intercom when camped with other RVs in a group.  Other than that, we may turn it on in construction and areas of heavy traffic for road reports from the truckers.

I removed mine because cell phones have replaced the CB. Nothing of interest anymore except a bunch of nasty talk. And we dont like to hear that especially with our grand daughter on board.
Happy Motoring
Don

I had thought about bringing one along on our cross country venture for emergencies?  Does anyone monitor them any more?  I'm assuming there  would be some CB reception where cell service might not be available?  Or should I just leave it home?....

Channel 9 is still monitored. I believe most police still have some kind of CB in there cars. I would bring it I carry a little portable not a lot of power more for peace of mind than anything.

When we travel, with and without our 5er, I use the cb for road issues. I don't have it on always because of the nasty useless conversation but it is handy if we see a slowdown. It has saved us tons of time getting around accidents.

Bob

Well if you need HELP! Channel 9 is still designted  for Emergency/Priority use and there re still some REACT teams that monitor it across the country.

however CB is not as popular as it once was.. That is all I can tell you.

I do run with mine on when on the freeway.. But turn it off in the city for the most part.

I run with ham on most of the time.  In fact I'm listening to 70cm band as I type.

I like the Cobra 75 wx st because it only requires the microphone to be mounted somewhere convenient and not the entire book sized radio.

I have run into specific situations where they are useful for coordinating with other people I'm traveling with but overall I prefer the cell phone.

In the few areas where cell phone coverage isn't available they have an obvious advantage.

I bought one when I travelled from Mass to Washington State. Tried using it several times to contact other RVers or truckers for road conditions, etc.
Never received any replies :-[

Back in the 70's when Chip Davis was recording "Convey" under his alias.. CB's were hot, The band was a jumping and if you hung a receiver on 19 it was hard to drive a mile without hearing something.

Today.. not so much,, I still find them useful, I've heard official DOT broadcasts of road conditions and other stuff that I was very much interested in hearing.. I've found out about traffic issues down the road, and chatted with a few folks.

But mostly I hear... NOTHING.

However this is a fact: When "Stuff" happens, (And Stuff always happens) it pays to have multiple channels of communications on hand.. Cell phones are great.. IF you have a signal.. If not then CB may just save the day (Chan 9 first, then 19 and pray for a trucker with "Ears on")  I also have several ham bands I can try (But that requires a license).  Communications can, and for many, many, people has already, Make the difference between an article "How Radio Saved My Life" and "We are gathered here today in remembrance of our dearly departed __Author's name here___

Back
Top Bottom