What's your worst RV experience?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boundiful

Did some disaster happen?

An accident?

A fire that burned up your RV?

A vacation from hell?

Let us know.

Boundiful

A month ago, I went to Georgia with my 1 ton van and car hauler to purchase a new to us coach. Drove all home, towing van on trailer. Stopped in Van, Tx at a truckstop to get something to eat.
Came out and everything looked fine. About an hour later hit a severe dip and that took the trailer off the coach and broke the saftey chains. Bad dip, I tell ya. I looked in rear monitor seeing van image get smaller and smaller. Noticed in mirror that van and trailer were digging into concrete and they came to rest against a guard rail. Someone could have been killed. Upon inspection of trailer noticed that someone at truckstop had opened and secured the bull dog hitch.
If I had not just purchased this coach, with nothing on board to eat, I would have never stopped at a truckstop for any length of time.
There are a lot os sick people out there. I am lucky

No brakes and going 60 mph into slowing traffic. Rear ended a car and a truck before we got her stopped. Nobody killed or seriously injured, but severe damage to our underwear, not to mention the coach!

I-84 in Idaho in a construction zone where all traffic was on one side. Going 55mph and a Dodge diesel pickup truck coming the other way veered into my lane. I managed to move over enough to prevent a head-on collision but the pickup hit just behind the drivers side front wheel ripping off his front suspension and rolling down the entire side to out motorhome. 3 months to get it all repaired.

Had the engine blow up - at night - in northwest Virginia.  Since I was towing a trailer, I had to rent a U-Haul to carry everything home.  Cost was over a thousand bucks (not including repairs to the RV) and nothing to show for it.

We dropped a valve on an old 318 Dodge on I-95 going around Boston on our way to Maine in 1980 with three kids. We were living in Illinois and had just started a two week vacation and were on our way to Maine for a family reunion. Spent the next 12 days in a mid-sized car and motels with the trunk full of garbage bags containing all our stuff.

A local garage had replaced the valve guide seals just before leaving Illinois and one of the valve keepers came off. No help from them but a mechanic working for me found a used engine for $300 that we shipped out there where it cost five hundred dollars to have it installed. Seemed like at lot of money to spend on an eight year old 21' Glastron at the time.

Every fall when I have to park it for the winter ;)

Wandered off the road at highway speeds and 5th wheel started sliding down bank. Starting to jacknife as well.  Got on the throttle and aimed for the road. That pulled it straight again.  The angle of the hill was enough that the trailer contacted the side of the box and crunched it but good.  Contents strewn about inside. A couple drawers came out and broke the "wood" surroundng them.  Needed new underwear.

I am positive that had I not hit the gas it would have pulled the truck sideways and rolled.  Wife, 2 kids and brother in law in truck.  Just thinking about it sets my hands to shaking, and it was 2 years ago.

Ernie, we had people doing that with our airboat trailers at the ramp near here. Sometimes they would pull the pin on the hitch just enough so it would hold till we got on the highway.

The worst almost disaster was towing a TT coming off the old Iron Bridge on hwy-17 into Savannah, Ga. Started down the long ramp and realized the trailer brakes were not working. As the heart started beating faster and the stopped traffic at the bottom of the ramp was getting closer and I could smell the brake smoke on the Olds 98 tow car, the light turned green. First place I could pull off, i found and fixed the problem and spent some time calming down.....Not a nice feeling.....

DANG!  :eek: Y'all have scared me so bad, I think I'll sell the TT and stay home! I can't recall any bad events or vacations for the most part and I hope it stays that way. Heading out next weekend. I hope I didn't jinx myself.  ;D

Our very first bad RV  experience (that  wasn't actually  so bad ) involved " someone"  who forgot to fill the rig with water.  We had NO water, no coffee, no toilet, no containers to get close enough to the spigot to fill.  We used  salad bowls to gather enough water over and over  for a pot of coffee.

Never happened again.

One other experience involved being in a campground that became flooded, the exit  road closed and we could not get to a grocery store which was something  I had planned to  do when we arrived at campground.  The only thing we had to eat were the canned goods I stash  for  emergencies.  We ate Spam and pork and Beans and fruit  cocktail.  Never happend again.  I always have  enough food for real meals.

Betty Brewer said:
Our very first bad RV  experience (that  wasn't actually  so bad ) involved " someone"  who forgot to fill the rig with water. 

I bet that "someone" was in "big trouble". :)

Caution VERRRY LONG!!!

Our vacation trip from hell was long ago while towing a soft top tent trailer with a 67 Buick Special  from Montreal to Prince Edward Island. 2 adults, 4 kids under 12, 2 who were motion sick, and a big dog. Just outside of Fredericton NB a tire blew. Not so bad, Canadian Tire was just down the road a bit. Well, what had caused the tire to blow was a broken leaf spring causing the box to drop down and rub on the tire. After installing a new tire and wheel, I was able to block the trailer box up enough to continue.

That afternoon we stopped a little further down the road and put out the trailer. It started to rain and the wind came up. We were told that it was the tail end of a hurricane that had passed close to the area. The rain was so hard the tent started leaking so I went outside and took down the canvas awning and doubled it back over the trailer roof, tying it to a picnic table on the opposite side. GOOD!! no more leaks!!

We packed up next morning, the tent was still wet but we had little choice, and set out for the ferry to PEI.
Arrival was uneventful until.... we started to set up the trailer in the PEI campground. Unfortunately the now pretty much dry tent had shrunk and I was unable to button down the edges. After lowering the support brackets about 1.5", everything fit again.

Now to tackle the broken leaf spring!! I blocked up the trailer and went to work taking off the wheels and started on the U-Bolts holding the springs to the axle. Well, 'someone' before me had had some difficulty and ended up welding the nuts to the U-Bolt. A good hard pull with my extended socket wrench solved that but the U-bolts we now too short. The new springs were not a problem as they were sold at the local Canadian Tire but u-bolts of that size were not available. I noted that the 'someone' in the past had made up his own by welding threaded rod to the U of the original bolt, I guess because they were an oddball size.  Fortunately, I found a welding shop/blacksmith and had them make up 4 new ones. I picked them up the next day, unfortunately at noon hour, where the workers had all gone to lunch but the guy on duty found them ok on the foundry floor.  Naturally the grommets and bolts that came with the new springs were too big compared to the brackets welded to the trailer so I would have to re-use the old bolts and needed new rubber grommets. I had found a bunch of rubber grommets on the parking lot of a shock replacement shop to make grommets for the new springs. Ready to go!!, I put the new springs in place and found that the saddle the spring sits on had the hole for the rivet plugged. That 'someone' had welded a nut into the hole on the last job!!.

Down comes the axle and I go looking for someone to drill it out. I found an old garage where the primary work was on farm equipment. They fixed up my problem by cutting the old saddles off and put new ones on. Off I went back to the campground, installed the axle, and the new springs. I was able to cut and fix up the old shock absorber rubber to fit. Got the new u-bolts in place and started to tighten them up and the first one twisted!!!! They had not yet been hardened by the fabricator, unknown to the guy who gave them to me several days before. After straightening the twisted one I put the nuts on them and waited for the evening campfire where they were tossed into it. When red hot I took them out and dunked them in water, Hardened!!! Good thing I had screwed on the nuts because getting them off again took a lot of effort, but at least, they went back on with minimum effort later....

Tidied everything up nicely, put the wheels back on and took the trailer down from the blocks, all set to enjoy the remaining week or so of our stay. Oh yeah!!!

The day of departure, it was pouring again. We had to get going to meet the ferry and so left while it was still dark. We got about half way to the ferry and I notice my left trailer wheel was passing me by on the highway. I slowed down on the side of the road and the trailer dragged its way to a stop. I had forgotten to tighten up the wheel nuts on the back side (drivers) of the trailer after taking it off the blocks and the 4 nuts were no where to be found. After recovering the wheel down the road, I stole 2 Nuts from the right side and got it temporarily in place on and turned back, looking for somewhere to buy some new nuts. After several false alarms, including a trailer dealer, I tried a Chrysler dealer and he GAVE me 6 new wheel nuts, He must have felt sorry for me, I guess. After putting everything back in order, we set out for the ferry, finally ending up on the New Brunswick side at 9:00 pm still in the pouring rain. Well, guess where we stayed that night that night!! The first motel we came across.

From that point on everything went ok until, at one rest stop outside of Quebec City on the south shore, I noticed the new wheel had a lot of 'oil' running down. Yup!, the grease cap went missing somewhere between NB and there. Moving very slowly we found another Canadian Tire and bought a new cap and some bearing grease. The rest of the trip was uneventful but I was glad to get back to work for a rest!!!!!!

We did end up breaking springs again over the years but installing new ones was now a snap because of the previous repairs and new U bolts I had installed previously. We dragged that old trailer from Montreal to New Hampshire (another spring changed, but beefed up this time by a spring shop!), Cape May, New Jersey several times and many local camping trips. It served us well. When I sold it, I wished I had had several more, it was in high demand and was sold for a lot more than I had paid for it at the time. For you Canadians reading this, the references to good old Canadian Tire will be obvious!!! The 'someone' referred to was NOT me. I doubt it was the previous owner either as I new him well, he was a neighbour. These trailers had originally been supplied as campground villages for the Worlds Fair Expo67 visitors, held in Montreal that year, who knows who had built them !!!

We had many minor issues, nothing major. But the one that stands out in my memory was when we had taken our new 06' Meridian motor home on it's first long trip (30 days). We pulled into a beautiful campground on the Oregon coast, right at the mouth of the Columbia river. Set up, had a great dinner and turned in for the night about 11 PM. A light rain was starting to fall.  About 2 AM we were awakened by a horrendous explosion right under our sleeping area. Then the smell of burnt acid permeated the rig. 

I gathered my wits and ran outside in the rain with a flashlight. I soon discovered that one of our sealed starting batteries in the bay right under our heads had exploded, blowing the top off of the battery and breaking the nylon hold down strap on top.  Wound up being towed to Freightliner in Portland, arrived about 10 AM. Fortunately we had CoachNet towing service so the $1000+ tow bill was free.

However, Freightliner Portland let us sit in their parking lot til about 11 PM before some really grumpy mechanic came out to look at the problem. Then he was really ticked off that he had to crawl under the rig and put the drive shaft back on that the tow driver took off to tow us.  We later found out the mechanic had stripped several of the drive shaft bolts putting them on.

Freightliner insisted that we be towed in from the campground in case there were any unknown electrical issues that made the battery explode. The tech never tested anything with the rig, just installed 2 new starting batteries, grumping the whole time. When I asked if there was going to be any inspection of the electrical system before we left, he just glared at me and stated "I don't do electrical". 

For what it was worth I filled out a customer satisfaction form but never heard a word on it.

I later figured out that the most likely culprit was a "Trik-L-Start" that was installed on the rig most likely ignited the battery gases when the electrolyte got boiled out (most likely by the selling dealer).  That experience has made me not a fan of sealed lead acid batteries.  I rather have removable caps that I can keep an eye on myself. 

Sarge

Okay, since I started this thread I might as well add something.

Here's my story. I bought a 1991 Bounder on May 3rd of this year and sold all of my large stuff and moved into it yesterday. I was sleeping in my apartment for the whole month of May minus a day or two that I spent in the RV. I'm new to the RV thing and I'm tired of paying rent. So as of yesterday my motorhome is my only home. I live in sunny San Diego and just plan to park on the streets and bay areas and keep a low profile and also keep moving from parking place to parking place. We'll see how that goes.

After a long month of selling all my stuff and worrying a lot about if I was doing the right thing or not I finally spent the first official night in my RV.

Get this... within a half an hour I had trouble. I got in it after a long day of last minute things to do and went to bed at midnight. I was still awake when I heard a bunch of drunks making noise and getting closer to me. I was hoping they would just pass by... they didn't.
At 12:30am my RV started rocking from side to side. I heard laughing and knew it was the drunks messing with my RV.

I quickly got out of bed and opened the door and yelled, "Hey guys, knock it off! This is my place!"

I really don't know if they saw my light through the curtain window. Not sure if they knew anyone was in the RV before pushing it around.

So startled was one of the five guys that when he saw me standing at my door in my underwear and a t-shirt on that he fell down.

The others started laughing and ran away quickly.

It took me awhile to settle down after that.

Some first day.

But... I will add in the other post my favorite experience too. All in the same day.

I guess my WORST experience was crashing a 24 foot travel trailer.  We were coming home from the July 4th weekend at Barren River Lake in 1992 (I think).  I was towing a 24 foot Jayco Bunkhouse with a Chevy Caprice wagon.  The trailer weight was right up against the tow capacity of the wagon, but it did okay.  We were on I-65 Southbound in Elizabethtown, Kentucky when a dump truck wandered over into my lane and clipped the right rear corner of the TT.  That put the trailer into a fishtail I could not pull out of.  The trailer flipped upside down and ripped the entire house structure off the frame of the trailer.  The trailer and wagon (still attached) continued sideways down the interstate.  I blew out both tires on the passenger side of the wagon and came to rest within about 6 feet of the concrete barrier.  A semi behind me could not stop and came between the concrete barrier and clipped the front end of the wagon, spinning us 180 degrees.

We were all okay, but you have no idea how it feels to look out across three lanes of interstate and see your "stuff" everywhere.  The dump truck never stopped and was never found.

Probably the worst from the standpoint of scary was our recent cross country trip to Alaska and Canada. While driving across Montana, I looked down and saw my brake controller was flashing for my 5er. I knew something was wrong and pulled over immediately at the next gravel exit. Pulled into the pulloff area and discovered that my electric cord from the truck to the trailer had been dragging on the ground because the bungee cord broke. All 6 wires were severed.....no brakes in the mountains of Wyoming. I repaired all 6 wires using duct tape, having no electrical tape in my toolbox. Once repaired, I looked ahead to see where the road I was on went. Ahead of me was a viaduct which looked to be only about 10 feet tall. My 5er is 13 feet tall. Backing up onto the highway wouldn't work so I proceeded to make 3 point turns with my 22 foot long pickup and 34 foot long 5er. Took about 30 minutes and lots of bite size movements until I finally got turned around enough to pull out. Only then did I realize that on either side of the gravel road was major dropoffs of at least 10 feet or more. I still shudde when I think of that and will never pull off on unimproved roads again.

Bob

Oh boy, did I have a lousy experience last night.

I'm parked next to a library and at 2:30am I was abruptly awakened by some idiot knocking loudly at my door. I like to sleep with earplugs in but it was so loud I had no trouble hearing it and I sat up instantly and pulled out my earplugs. My heart was racing very fast. Not a good way too wake up.

I never looked outside or made any attempt to get out of bed. I heard probably 3 or 4 male voices yelling profanities and then another RV parked across the street from me was banged upon too.

They left me alone but tore into the guy as he came out of his RV. They were yelling so much I didn't quite hear what the problem was except to hear someone say that RV's parked in the area were bringing down home prices. Jerks! Can't they leave a note or talk to me in the morning? I purposely bought an RV that isn't a piece of junk and I'm very quiet at night.

Geez that pissed me off. I didn't move from the area and I had a hard time getting back to sleep.

I'm really upset because it was a prime spot next to the library and not close to any houses or apartments. I thought it was a good choice but I guess I'll have to move somewhere else tonight.

So, in the first two nights I've already had two altercations. I'm not at all a happy camper.

Boundiful

Boundiful said:
So, in the first two nights I've already had two altercations. I'm not at all a happy camper.

Boundiful,

I'll bet it won't be long until you are looking for an inexpensive long term spot in an RV Park.  That way you can get some  sleep at night.  Your life sounds stress ful in the first few days of the "experience."
Good luck on coming noghts.

Back
Top Bottom