72 dodge sportsman project, need lots of help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NintendoKD

Ok, here goes, the engine runs, but barely, and gets rather poor fuel economy, and runs very rich, but runs all the same.  No need for smogging, so exhaust headers and a full redone exhaust are in order, as well as a cam and intake manifold.  but all of that comes much later, as for right now, at least, it just needs a carb rebuild, air , fuel, tranny, oil filters, belts, plugs, wires, you know the usual overhaul stuff.  The rest is in a list here:
72' dodge sportsman by western commander inc.
dodge 360 v-8 w/727 3spd auto 4.10 rear axle model B300
Install deep cycle battery in front, new wires, connectors, 2 deep cycles in the rear for double current, same 12v voltage, with an 3000w inverter.  A throw switch will be installed between the shore a/c and the inverter, this is so I can switch between the two on the fly.
rer-upholster everything
new flooring, haven't decided on hard flooring or lenolium yet pros/cons?
new sink and cabinetry with a dish sprayer.
engine stuff like hoses for coolant and vaccum as well as replacing all rubber hoses on the R/V "will need help identifying and locating these" to dryrot proof the vehicle
Needs a refrigerator, not sure where to find one the right size.
The entire thing will likely need to be re-wired from the ground up DC AC included "junkyard to see if there are any r/v's I can pull replacement parts from.
this thing needs to have new wood installed, and to be water/weather proofed may need help on that , I am a mechanic, not a carpenter
Gas, this could be dangerous, so I want to do it right the first time.
needs the a/c fixed and the heater doesn't work either.
needs insulation, not sure if teh 72 used asbestos or anything dangerous but I would rather be safe than sorry.
neesd to be re- keyed, I don't have the keys for everything in the darn thing, there are mystery compartments that I don't know whats in em.
new tires and a suspension tune, I am thinking of using polyurethane mounts where able, and relacing all rubber everywhere else, I have no manual so I would love help on this.
re-seal all of the windows, inside/outside and get them tinted to aid in cooling/privacy
need curtains
needs a fire extinguisher
guages bounce, they need to be re-calibrated.
Along with the inverter, I was going to install a stiffening capacitor, and was honestly debating on whether or not I should install a generator instead of an alternator, but if I went the alt. rout I would install a higher amperage one.

eventually, for entertainment, I will install a carputer, and television, so that movies internet etc. can be used in the r/v and the thing is built in as opposed to having to bring a laptop or lan party machine.

I would have to suggest you start with the roof since you want it water tight before you put anything inside. Is this going to be a slow long term or is it gotta get done yesterday. I would advice to take your time on systems you are not use to that away you only do it once. don't forget to ask lots of questions 8).

I am active duty military, I just got back from Afghanistan, and will be on 30 days leave starting soon, this will be my home from now on, and will be living in the base r/v lot.  I will only be here for another year or so.  And don't worry, I will ask questions so often that you will probably get a little annoyed.  Already checked out the newbies section, glossary, and library for useful topics.

Nintendo..whatever

Too many loose ends,  Who are you? We love military folks.. we have a lot of members on the forum.

Help us out...I think you will get very few replies..  what is going on? 

Carson, ex-air-force

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you have taken on a real project.
I have some experience with those old carbureted Dodges.  ::)The 2bbl is very simple, the choke system is a royal pita. Remove the intake manifold and have it hot tanked, the heat riser passage gets clogged with carbon. When this happens the choke tends to partially open if at all. I learned to prop it open with a comb to restart after a stall. Replace the heat riser valve if you are keeping the stock exhaust manifolds, it will either rattle or seize. If you go to headers, a manual choke or different carb is in order.
The ignition is another source of frustration. Carry a spare ignition box and ballast resistor and know how to change them at night in a 40 mph wind. Trust me on this one.

Nintendo,

Sounds like you might need to divide and conquer here; it's a big mission!

If you are going to live in it, and can get it to where it needs to be for an extended period of time, that will change the priority order of what to do next. It also depends on what kind of living space disruptions you can stand as you tear up, paint, glue, wire, etc.

I hope you can find buddies in your unit who might be familiar with some of the tasks you don't like your own experience in, but most of the things you have to do will require more patience than anything else. For everything else, there's the Forum!  ;D

Thank you for your service, and welcome to the Forum - ask lots of questions, there lots of us out here! (God, do I remember working on my car in the barracks parking lot or motor pool!)

Kim

Get it watertight first. Don't rule out your Hobby Shops for help and good advice. Don't know what Base you are at but there should be resources there for you. Sounds like an interesting project. Thanks for your service and Good luck with the project.,

If you have an ammeter in the dash, check the electrical block where they come through the dash. Those years of Dodge were famous for burning that connection (high resistance) causing a no charge condition.

WOW! lot of replies, where to start?  I am at 29 palms base, so I can stay in the r/v area there, plugged in for as long as need be, still need to get her registered though.  I Just pulled the entire carb and rebuilt it after running it thouroughly through the parts washer at the ASC.  For the Skeptics out there, I am a proud mamber of team Kai Hei Tai, second place winner of the battle of the builds contest.  www.battleofthebuilds.com  I checked all of the fuel lines running from main, left, and right fuel tanks.  The switch is in good operating order, and all lines are free of dry rot, blockages, and pinholes.  The mech. fuel pump is in excellent working condition, but the carb was the fuelling issue, the float needle was stuck and would not allow proper fuelling.  I will take that advice, as I planned to put some headers on her anyway with an intake and a cam for low end power.  The carb is the holley 2 bbl setup, and runs great now with a rebuild.  I do have questions about installing an overdrive gear in the 727 auto tranny for highway driving.  I have already replaced the pcv, fuel filter "clear kind" and air filter.  I have added the first Deep Cycle battery for under the hood.  Today I will finish registering her and get her vaccumed out and ready for exterior modification.  Is there a problem with the insulation from this year?  Did they use Asbestos?  wood is VERY old and likely needs to be replaced all over the vehicle.  I'll take some pictures when I get my camera out of storage.  I just got back from Afghan, and My Wife and Daughter are still overseas in Okinawa, and will return in a few months.

Sounds like you are well on the way togetting it going. I hope the wood/water problems don't overwhelm you. Hopefully the rot/leak issues are isolated where you can attack them individually while still being able to stay/live in it. I am not familiar with 29 Palms as I was never there but you should have Hobby Shops to get help/advise and use of specialized tools. Again good luck on the rebuild and of course getting reunited with your family.

living in/out of it should prove interesting.  No A/C, the heater doesn't work, water heater doesn't work, the fresh water tank leaks etc. etc. etc. LOL  the hobby shops here are great, the wood hobby shop should prove rather useful.  Too many projects, never enough time. :(

Q:
anyone have a rundown on any literature for this beast?

thanks,

Kevin

P.S. I don't feed trolls, I drown them by opening the floodgates

Start with dodge you would be surprised at what they might have next E-BAY then you could just do a google search. If you can get the maker of specific item or model numberfor IE water heater,stove it would help in searching. There are some generic books you can get as well that cover basic systems.

ok, I rebuilt the carb, and tuned it.  Last night I ran a can of seafoam through the engine, via the carb.  I found a set of headers for the engine, may upgrade to a dodge 413 motor, more torque, it bolts right in, but not quite sure at this point.  This afternoon, I am draining the oil and tranny fluids swapping the oil and tranny filters, and swapping out the plugs.  I want to play with the stovepipe a little and see what is going on with the choke.  Oh! I also need to figure out why some of the electronics won't work in the thing, guage light, doesn't flicker, but randomly turns on and off.and the front right blinker doesn't work, bulb is good.  Ballast resistor???  I will also be installing "I came prepared for jokes on this one" a period correct a-track am/fm unit.  More details on that later.  I saw some really interesting things in other rvs, I know I want a REAL Shower, like a small formfactor booth style, and a REAL toilet, as mine cannot handle solid waste.  I also have a leak behind my sink area when water pressure is turned on, it is a barbed fittting, I have trimmed and used a new clamp but no dice.  lost on this one.

thanks,

Kevin

I need tires, anyone have a good rundown on a set of rubbers for this beast?  mine are dryrotted on the sidewalls and won't last much longer.  The only ones available on tire rack are 900.00 for the set of six, that is more than I paid for the whole R/V!!!

NintendoKD said:
  The only ones available on tire rack are 900.00 for the set of six, that is more than I paid for the whole R/V!!!

Fairmount Tire Co. in L.A. has them about 800.00 installed and balanced.
You will find that a lot of things for the RV will be costly new. By the time you are finished you will have invested far more than the cost of the MH.
The good thing is that it is paid for, leaves a lot of cash for fuel. ;D
I saw a set of tires a Walt's RV in Rialto about two weeks ago, give them a call. Walt's has plenty of RV parts cheap. He sells surplus and good used parts. Rialto is not too far from 29 Palms.
J

SWEET!! thanks brother.  I took a trip to the scapyard and looked around the rv's there, I think I can pull a few choice pieces, like an awning, some interior components, etc.

http://discountrvparts.com/
I found this place, for just about everything under the sun.  anyone know of any other good ones, preferrably one with a downloadable catalog?

Back
Top Bottom