2011 Vista 30W versus a 2005 Journey 34H

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve N Dee

Hi everyone.  We are brand new to the forum.  We have a 1987 Minnie Winne 26; Class C.  We are ready to move up as the old girl is getting tired.  For the same dollars we can purchase the brand new Vista 30W or a 2005 Journey 34' Diesel pusher.  We are really struggling with the decision.  We like the floorplan of the Journey better and LOVE the way the diesel pusher drives!  On the other hand, the 30W is brand new, is more practical length wise, and is a gas engine.  Our use is limited to about 8 long weekends a year plus 2 one week trips.  We plan to increase our use in about 5 years.  We are also looking at this as our last coach.  While others may say this, we have kept our Minnie Winnie forever. Anybody want to give their opinion?

When I'm looking, I give more points to the floorplan than anything else.  Can't be changed and really wears on you if it doesn't work for you.  The other advantages to the diesel are also considerable and a six year old model, if it's been maintained properly, could outlast a new gas engine, and always drive as well as it does now. 

New is nice and a warranty is handy but that doesn't mean you won't have trouble, just that the manufacturer will help you get it fixed.  New units sometimes are problematic while the six year old may have gotten past that sort of issues.

Both good choices.  How sure are you of the condition of the Journey?  Is there a dealer's warranty on it?

30 or 34' isn't going to make much of a difference in state or national parks as far as fitting if that is a concern.  26' would be a great size to be sure you can fit into 95% of all parks.

Another vote for the diesel.  The engine should be good for 250,000 miles, it's quiet, you can tow more, etc.

Thanks for all the opinions.  I'm glad to here everyone is leaning the way I am, towards the Journey.  The dealer says there are complete service records, I have a clean car fax report, and there had only been 1 owner.  It's been in Colorado, the owner moved to California and traded it in here in CA.  It's in IMMACULATE condition. I'm going tp either negotiate for an extended warranty or purchase one on my own thru Good Sam.  How about a pricing question? Low NADA is about 82,000 high is 102,000.  The dealer is asking 89,999.  I made an informal offer of 72,000 which they didn't accept, but it was very informal.  I'm going to thoroughly inspect it tomorrow and make a formal offer.  I'm a cash buyer and they say they don't want my Class C, it's too old, but they haven't even seen it.  Do you think if start again at the same 72,000 that I'm too low.  What should I reasonably expect?  They've had the unit 6 weeks on their lot.

Since they have only had it on their lot for six weeks, they aren't desperate yet to move it. If they had it for six months or longer, then they would be more ready to deal.  Check asking prices on the Internet instead of relying on NADA pricing.

Don't get emotionally attached to that particular Journey - there are lots and lots of units for sale out there.

That size Journey is a popular model and it's early in the season, so the dealer doesn't have much incentive to sell low. I think you are going to have to pay around $80k for it if the condition is as good as you say.  By the way, figure in a set of tires in the very near future, probably upwards of $2500. A 2005 probably has the original tires and  they ought to be replaced at about 7 years, even if the tread is ok and they look good. Read more about tire aging elsewhere on the forum. A 2005 may have tires manufactured in 2004 and thus already be nearly 7 years. Checking the tire date codes on the sidewalls will tell you for sure (see our RV Glossary for Tire Date Code)

You should sell your Winnie outright. It is in a price class where there should be plenty of interested buyers and you will do better than a trade-in. Put a free ad here on this site - you may get a hit right away. Use the For Sale section.

Does this Journey have the optional (in 2005) full body paint? Those command a higher price, probably $5k more than the basic trim.

Gary is right on about the tires. I am at a rally and Les Schawb  has a booth here. Just for the heck of it I asked what new Michelin 255X80X22.5 XRV tires are going for.  $578 each. That would be $3468 plus tax just to buy them.  I'm not sure if that included mount and balance or not. Either way that's a bunch of money. Figure that into your cost within the first year or two. 

Whoa - HOLD ON

The Journey is a nice rig, no doubt, especially if you're a full timer.  Also, I agree, floor plan is king.  But, there must be something you like about the Winnebago Vista 30W that your not telling us.  You state you'll be camping about 38 days a year.  I'm buying new over used for that amount of camping if the price is the same.  I just went through this process, comparing and contrasting gas vs diesel, new vs used and my decision (for what's it worth) was to buy a new Vista 30W.  Just thought I would throw in my opinion as everyone else was leaning toward the Journey.  So far the Vista has been great and I would buy it again given the same choices as before. 

Just one more thing to think about,

The Journey has already gone through it initial value depriciation.

The Vista will lose a lot of value that first couple of years.

Agree with most that the floorplan would by my buying point.

As an owner of this floorplan I'm clearly biased, But in a 34' length it's awfully hard to stand anything else against it. Don't know how you plan to use either coach, but I seriously doubt that the tank capacity can match those in the Journey (just looked.. they don't).

Towing:
Vista 5000lb
Journey probably 10,000lb (mine is).

Generator:

Vista- 4,000W
Journey- 7500W

Batteries:
Vista shows 2ea. GP24 batteries
Journey: 3ea GP31 from the factory. Mine has 4ea. 6V GC Batteries

We have gone to Quartzsite for the last 5 years for 10 days, and have never had a problem with dry camping for this legnth of time. I susoect you'd be making at least one trip to dump and recharge in the Vista

I could probably do this all night long, but you get the idea that these two guys aren't in the same class. I have zero complaints on the floor plan. We camp at the beach all the time, and I wanted the slides street sides and keep them out of my patio (I wouldn't like it anyway). I also wanted the main windows curbside as that's our sea view. The recliner is MINE, and the table works great for a laptop; I frequently "work from home" at the beach and am every bit as productive on this table as elsewhere.

If I just had to bitch about something, it would be that I still can't get used to the front door as opposed to a center side door. We had a side door on our 85' Pace gasser, and we always liked the fact that the coach and the patio are really one, especially when it rains. BUT... clearly the floorplan would change drastically to get this back, so we live with it.

As far as the chassis... you're driving a commercial vehicle with the Journey, and with the CAT engine and Allison you just cannot beat it. And at 100K miles it's just getting broken in about the same time the F53 chassis is getting a little elderly.

Download the 2005 Journey and Vista Brochures from Winne and do an A<>B. Unless you are dead-set on buying used or just can NOT stand the floor plan, this one is a no-brainer.

I pulled the trigger and got the 2005 Journey.  I pick it up Friday.  My thought were exactly the same as SCV Jeff, who lives in my area.  He undoubtedly goes to the Rincon Parkway a lot, like we do.  The key points are driver side slides and lots of windows on the passenger side.  Theses things are so hard to find in a shorter length.  34' is a little longer than we initially wanted, but it was surprisingly easy to drive.  This unit has the smaller Cummins 300HP engine, but it seemed to be plenty of power for me.  Thanks for everyones insight and I'll post our maiden voyage soon!

Ditto congratulations Steve N Dee! While diesel fuel is a little more than gas these days (go figure) you will LOVE the torque that the pusher gives you. If you have any questions/issues with her, give us a holler. We are always glad  to help!

I changed my profile so everyone could see the pic of the new Winnie!  Not bad for 6 years old! ;D

STEVE N DEE said:
I changed my profile so everyone could see the pic of the new Winnie!  Not bad for 6 years old! ;D
Congrats on the toy. We'll have to work out a 'swap' sked up there... :)

Back
Top Bottom