Extension Cord for Winegard Carryout??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arcticfox2005

I need a longer power cord for my Carryout for use on our lot in Wyoming (big trees in the way). I could splice another 25' of wire in the middle of the supplied cord, but then I would have way too much wire when on the road. Does anyone know of a source for longer power cords? I have e-mailed Winegard Customer Service on two occasions asking about this. No response from them. Some customer service! :mad:

Have you looked at this adapter ?

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I have a 12 VDC outlet on the side of the MH, but I guess I could ignore it, use a conventional extension cord to power the converter, and plug into it with the Carryout power cord. I am assuming that the converter would have to be protected from the weather here in Wyoming, as we are still getting occasional snow!

What are the connectors on the Carryout?  If you get matching ones, you can make the cable as long as you want.  If you can either let me know the connector type or send a picture of them, I can check my electronic catalogs and the internet for them.

I needed about 6 to 8 feet more than I had for mine, so I went to Pep Boys, and purchased both repair ends and used a 10 foot 15 amp extension cord that I had laying around, and made one the length I needed. You can also purchase the electrical wire in any length you need from Lowe's. I think Igloo also has a short extension that they sell for use with their portable coolers that should work as well.

What are the connectors on the Carryout?  If you get matching ones, you can make the cable as long as you want.

On the MH, the connector is the conventional cigatette lighter type - no problem with that end. The Carryout end, however, is one like I have never seen. It is a hooded connector that snaps into place with a catch that you have to press with a finger to get it to release. We are on our lot in Wyoming, and I will try to get a picture posted of the connector.

arcticfox2005 said:
On the MH, the connector is the conventional cigatette lighter type - no problem with that end. The Carryout end, however, is one like I have never seen. It is a hooded connector that snaps into place with a catch that you have to press with a finger to get it to release. We are on our lot in Wyoming, and I will try to get a picture posted of the connector.

That information makes it easy.  There are 2 ways to do this, one makes no changes to your Carryout power line and the other does. 

The first is to get a regular cigarte lighter plug like you already have, a socket for that connector for an in-line connection and what ever length you want of a 2 wire with red and black molded together.  Radio Shack sells all this.  Connect the wire, red to center of the connectors and black to the side of the connectors and you are done.

The other way is to cut the existing wire and put 2 connectors on it,  a male on one end and a female on the other, and the same type of connectors on the length of wire you want added.  I use 15 amp Anderson Power Pole connectors.  I have various lengths of wire already made up for just this sort of thing. 

That information makes it easy.  There are 2 ways to do this, one makes no changes to your Carryout power line and the other does. 

The first is to get a regular cigarte lighter plug like you already have, a socket for that connector for an in-line connection and what ever length you want of a 2 wire with red and black molded together.  Radio Shack sells all this.  Connect the wire, red to center of the connectors and black to the side of the connectors and you are done.

Jim,

Thanks for the tip - your first choice will be the one I will use. That way, the factory power cord will untouched. Normally 50' is long enough, but here on our lot in Wyoming, the trees are too much in the way.

Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom