Newcomer - Looking To Buy Used 5th Wheel BH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zippinbye

Hello all.  It's my first sign-on as a new member.  I just placed a longer post in the forum for newbies.  Just a quick query here;  On an approximate $15K budget, we're going to seek a 27' or so 5th wheel with a bunkhouse in the fall.  Looks like that puts us in the early to mid-2000s for model year.  I'd appreciate any suggestions for specific models and brands to check-out (or steer away from).  I'm looking forward to sharing information and stories on this forum.

Thanks!

Richard in Las Vegas

Hello Richard and welcome to the RV Forum. Check out the For Sale area - there are some fifth wheels advertised there.

Be sure you know your trucks max tow capacity and allow for weight in the truck, which has to be subtracted from the max. And use the trailer GVWR as its estimated weight - not the "dry" weight.

If you do nothing else, either climb up on the roof or have someone who knows what they are doing do it. I made the mistake of not doing it and bought one with several soft spots. These turned out to be rotted plywood under to rubber roof which would lead to a whole roof replacement. Cost between $3000 and $5000. any place inside where you see a leak had been, do not take the owners word that it was fixed. I learned the hard way. A little chalking goes a long way toward a temorary fix while being sold. Just a little bitter.

Check the axles, bearings and tires. I almost got burned, I never checked the axles, the trailer was always backed up to a garage door or another trailer. I realized just before my first trip with it as I pulled it forward that all 4 wheels were kicked out on the bottom. The one thing that saved me was I told the salesman that I wanted all the axles components checked before we will take delivery, I made sure he wrote it down and we signed off on it. I suggest you do the same and include the roof, water and electrical systems (ac and dc). There are a lot of components that could fail and some rv owners don't keep up on maintenance. Make sure the furnace, air conditioner  and thermostat work too. Look in every compartment to see if you see water stains or moisture. One thing I did hear was some frame problems on pilgrim trailers, i believe they were lippert frames but can't be for sure, I almost bought an open road and that leads me to my final thought. Do not allow the dealer to sell you a trailer that is too heavy for your truck, this happens far too often. Every rv dealer I have ever worked with told me what I wanted to hear so I would buy what they were selling. I almost bought that 37' open road with a 17,000lb GVWR, way too much for my truck (2001 F350 single rear wheel diesel). I recommend you tell us what truck you plan on using, it will give you an advantage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom