Working from your RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4ducksrus

I just thought I'd throw this out there and see if any of you have any good ideas!  I've recently retired and I'm looking for some type of work that I can do from home or RV via computer.  I've searched some job sites but have yet to find anything that sounded like what I'm looking for.  I know there are many of you that work from your RV's using your computer/internet and was wondering if you had any ideas as to where I can look for these types of jobs.  My background is in outside sales/teaching yearbook online programs.  Thanks in advance for any and all input...Mikie

There are jobs like workcamping where you live at a campground or other place for weeks/months at a time and get paid.  There is a place on the east coast that hires people to travel to different places doing contract gas line inspections.  There are guard jobs at remote construction sites and oil drill rigs.  Name your poison.

Customer Service Evaluations (aka Mystery Shopping), check volition.com for info and companies to apply to.

Wendy

Mikie,

It kind of depends on how much "work" you really want to do, and how often you want/need to do it. There are any number of data entry or order entry or customer service style jobs, some require more technical background than others, and then there are any number of transcription type opportunities.

More and more companies want people who work outside of the brick and mortar workplace, and all that is required is good phone and internet service.

I work full time from the coach, and have lived in ten states since last August. However, I work in a high tech environment on a government contract, and that lends itself well to dispersed employees.

I'm not hearing whether you "want" to work, or "need" to work, and whether you want to be fulltime in the RV, or not, and that makes a difference only because there are a lot of short term positions available if that suits you, some requiring some travel.

I'm a computer programmer/developer selling software via my website.  I'm also single.  So I can indeed work from anywhere so long as I can do email, push updates to my website and check my Paypal account.  :)    Seriously though I do get some snail mail cheques so I'd have to have someone checking a snail mail address every few weeks.

One of my requirements will be to get satellite Internet so I can always ensure I can get my email no matter where I am.  Getting decent WiFi in an RV Park or cell stick will be a bonus.

That said there aren't a lot of folks doing what I do.

There are many work from home "deals" on the internet but most of them are scams, or at best, very low paying.  Be careful and research any such job offers carefully.  I worked from our motorhome for 13 years doing custom programming so it can be done, but there are a limited number of such jobs that lend themselves to the RV lifestyle.

Good luck.

Tony_Alberta said:
Seriously though I do get some snail mail cheques so I'd have to have someone checking a snail mail address every few weeks.

That said there aren't a lot of folks doing what I do.

Tony, I do just about exactly what you do/plan to do - am single, and have worked, lived, and traveled full time for about 15 years now. I used an acoustical coupler from telephone boothes initially, than satellite internet, and now Vz 4g air card w/cradlepoint router for internet from any network station in rig.

I get my mail via a UPS store. They check my box for me and if there is anything that looks like a payment or whatever else I am looking for, they forward it to me either overnight or 2 day. Otherwise I have gone paperless on all my accounts and receive most client payments via PayPal. The other thing I like about UPS store PMB's is that the address appears as a permanent office address vs. a PMB.

My help desk functions work very nicely with remote desktop software. That wasn't feasible with satellite internet because of the slower upload speeds at time. Nor was VoIP. It is not good to not be able to make calls (such as to your carrier) when your cell phone goes south. So that base is covered also.

With my current electrical setup I can go several weeks with no hookups and not miss a beat with my business stuff as long as I am not too far from a deliverable UPS address for forwarded mail.

skyking4ar2 said:
I'm not hearing whether you "want" to work, or "need" to work, and whether you want to be fulltime in the RV, or not, and that makes a difference only because there are a lot of short term positions available if that suits you, some requiring some travel.

Skyking,
I don't necessarily "have" to work, but I get rather bored and we could always use supplemental income!  I traveled a lot in my last position and would rather not, except if it's just in the RV.  I was in outside sales and had a huge territory in California, dealing with traffic and with gas prices going up it got to the point that it just wasn't worth it anymore.  I'm just looking for something that I can do on my own and still be able to do the things we like to do once retired! 

Mikie

Mikie,

After talking to any number of Forum people who workamp/volunteer, there seems to be no shortage of different ways to scratch your itch, some paid, some not. Some involve new places that you might like to be, some doing something you really enjoy, as many who have worked in the National Parks can testify. I had a friend who was a train nut and got a workamper spot in a train museum. He just kept turning over rocks until he found what he wanted the way he wanted it.

When I finish my work in the next year or so, we have no doubt we will want to try some different styles of workamping/volunteering because this country is a big place with tons of things to do and see... surely, there is something out there for us gypsies who won't sit still! Good luck with your search - "it's" out there!

Kim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom