1984 Southwind Fuel Type

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbholcom

I just purchased a 1984 Southwind 33'.  It's in amazing condition.  It suits my needs perfectly.

My question is about fuel type.  What is the recommended fuel type and grade for this vehicle?  The previous owner doesn't have much information since he inherited it from his father who was the original owner.

A 1984 is almost certainly gas, but the fuel filler should be clearly marked as to the type of fuel to be used.  Also, if the engine is in the front, it's gas, if in the back, it's diesel :)

Also, if the engine is in the front, it's gas, if in the back, it's diesel :)

Uh, dangerous advice, Ned, even if in jest.  The 1984 Southwind was available with the 6.2L GM diesel and it was in the front. Ditto for the Pace Arrow.

There were some other front engine diesels in the past, and more recently the popular FRED front diesel chassis and Workhorse W22D.

I'm at loss as to how to tell a novice how to distinguish a gas engine from a diesel if it is is not marked on the fuel filler or elsewhere. Any ideas? The gas engine would be a Chevy/GM 454 or a Ford 460. If anything on the coach says FORD, e.g. the steering wheel, it is a gas engine. But if it says GM or Chevrlet, it could be either.

Gary, thanks, I didn't know they made any front engine diesels that far bac, other than some Bluebirds.

How can I tell if it is diesel or regular?

Unscrew the fuel filler cap and sniff - anyone should be able to smell the difference between gasoline and diesel fuel.

Good one Richard.  A novice ought to be able to identify the spark plugs and plug wires.  I'm not familiar with the 6.2L diesel, but glow plugs & their wires generally don't look like a classic spark plug system.

arcticfox2005 said:
Unscrew the fuel filler cap and sniff - anyone should be able to smell the difference between gasoline and diesel fuel.

Sounds like a winner!  I'll see if I can "sniff it out" this evening.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom