Up-grade from cable to HDTV cables.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobmcduff123

We have a 2007 Safari Cheetah that has a mid-rig TV. The controls and boxes are in a front cabinet. Not the best design I have ever seen! What I would like to do is rewire the TV from cable to three wire HD. Does anyone know if there is a chase where the wires run or do I need to rip out my ceiling? We really can live with cable if I have to tear out the ceiling... Help!

What I would like to do is rewire the TV from cable to three wire HD.

Sorry, but this is not making sense to me. The "three wire HD" part leaves me stumped. We have a HD reveiver, and a single piece of RG-6 coax feeds it. The important thing is to have RG-6 coax, not RG-59. You might be able to check with Monaco or whoever to find out which they used. RG-59 is fine for cable, but not for satellite.

First of all, how far away is the TV from the Satellite or ???? box.  If it is just a switch box, coax is OK, even RG59 for short runs.  If on the other hand the output of the boxes is the HD signal, run the one cable HDMI as it will provide a slightly better picture from the 3 wire/RCA connector cable.  I don't recall the limit on HDMI but there are in-line boxes to extend that limit.

If you are willing to take the risk, use the coax to pull the HDMI cable through the ceiling.  I don't know the structure of your RV but in our Dutch Star, there are a couple of ways to do this, not nice but they work.  If all else fails, the new cable could be run on the roof with appropriate penetrations to access the TV and the boxes.  Not pretty but it will work with no leaks if done properly.

Good luck,

Whatever you do DON"T spend more than $10 or $20 on HDMI cables.  Do NOT waste your money buying a $160 Monster cable that runs for 30'.    These are digital cables just like RJ45 network cables.  They either work or don't work.  Your signal will not be degraded by using cheaper cables.

Tony,

Excellent comment!  I've been getting cables for less than $10 including shipping for packs of 3, 3' or 3, 6' HDMI cables that work fine.  Got to keep shoping though, Ebay and electronic supply places, NOT Radio Shack etc.

Jim

Ah, and I see Denon are still selling an RJ45 cable for $500.  http://usa.denon.com/us/Product/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=5840d55c-4077-4d9e-9421-36f204fb4587&SubId=85958de8-a123-4213-8ae1-bb6afaee9a97&ProductId=f7d26b3a-05a6-4724-a5c1-2a63642a6206

I will never, ever buy a Denon product.

I'm guessing you are talking about the run from the satellite receiver to the tv(s) and want to use HDMI instead of the current coax, presumably to get HDTV via satellite. HDMI is only a single cable because it carries both digital audio and digital video in one. The "three wire" tv signal cables are called "Component Video" or "RGB" (Red, Green, Blue) and are video only - you also need a pair of audio cables. Signal quality is equivalent to HDMI.

I'm not familiar with the wiring method used in your Cheetah, so cannot help with that.  However, if the tv is in a slideout, there won't be a nice straight chase to pul thru.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom