help! I CAN'T SLEEP!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmyPT

good afternoon all :)

I have a 2 bedroom 40' Franklin park model that will NEVER be moved.  One bedroom has one set of bunks on the left - a small closet directly in front and a dinette/bed on the right.  There is about 12" in between the two beds.  The room is about 6 feet by 8 feet. 

For the specifics:  the bunk on the left has two storage drawers underneath and the heating/ac vent comes out the side as well.  The dinette/bed on the right has storage under the two benches.

CAN I RIP THE GUTS OUT OF THIS ROOM AND JUST PUT IN A TWIN OVER FULL BUNKBED?  Assuming there is nothing mechanical under the bunk and i know I will have to re-vent that vent that's in there...can this be done?  I would imagine there will be a lot of little holes which I can patch up and paint.

I also understand the room will pretty much just be 'BED' and not room for much more but that's ok we totally just sleep in there and nothing else.  i was thinking 1 or two under the bed storage units and maybe a tall thin hand made cabinet if space allows.

But before I start demolition - any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?  I'm just a little girlie girl looking for some more suitable sleeping space for my daughter and I who share this bedroom.  I plan on doing most of (all but the vent move) demo and remodeling myself. I come from a line of carpenters so I'm pretty handy ;)

thanks for any info and advice you have !!!

Amy

Sooooooooo Nobody knows if I can rip out bunks/closet/dinette room and just bring in regular furniture????
Has anyone done this??? 

AmyPT said:
Sooooooooo Nobody knows if I can rip out bunks/closet/dinette room and just bring in regular furniture? ???
Has anyone done this???

Amy, the old adage of "measure twice and cut once" applies.  If your measurements say the proposed bed will fit, and you can physically muscle it into place, then go for it.  I have never done the exact thing you are proposing, but removing/replacing dinettes with free standing table and chairs, sofas with recliners, etc... is done all the time by us RV owners. 

Most things of this nature are possible and can be accomplished rather easily.  Just don't count on solid attachment, of heavy objects, to exterior walls.

Good luck and lots of pictures........

I doubt if anybody here has experience in a project like yours on a Franklin park model, Amy. But the general answer is, sure you can rearrange things and use residential furniture if it fits. Many of us have cut apart areas of our Rvs and remodeled - just go slowly when opening things up to see what is there, and measure carefully before making an irreversible decisions.

Thank you so much Lou and Gary!!!!!!!!

I am going to do some final measuring next weekend when I'm back up there...and if it fits - let the demo begin.  I understand the room will be 'all bed' but after all day at the beach I'm only in there for 'all sleep'!

I will take before and after pictures and post them up :)

Thanks again - just needed a little push... :)

Ran into a fellow at the Boom Town overflow lot just West of Reno about 10 years ago. He had purchased a used, but newer Class C MH - probably about a 25 footer. He was a lone traveler and wanted more room up front in the rig. It had a dinette on one side and couch on the other - and nothing under either such as a hot water heater. He also said he was advised to not do what he planned, but he did it himself anyway.

After the job was done, he had removed the dinette completely as well as the couch forming a very nice roomy square room essentially. In one corner (just in front of the kitchen and opposite the side entry door) he placed a nice recliner. He also had a small table beside that didn't take up much room and a nice lamp there as well. On the other side of the new room, he place another small table and lamp. And finally, he had placed a couple of folding chairs behind the rig drivers seat that he unfolded for guests.

It really looked great and allowed him to live in a "room" vs. an aisle.

I will take before and after pictures and post them up :)

How about some, "During", as well . . .  :)

I'll try Bob.  I'm thinking this weekend I may start to pull the upper bunk down and the closet out.  As well as - confirm there is nothing underneath other than the heat duct which i can move and recap in the floor.  Thanks for the advice - this trailer will not move again and it's at the opposite end of the kitchen/bathroom I'm almost certain there is nothing under it.  My last concern is can I get the bunk I want to put in there through the narrow door.  I'm sure it will come apart.  It's in Mass right now and will be going to NH.

I'll post during photos too :)

Back
Top Bottom