12v lighting problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmed56

I'm new to the forum so bare with me.  I recently bought a 1999 Coachmen Catalina 24QB TT and now have some 12V lighting issues.  When we first got it, everything worked fine.  The overhead light in the kitchen blew a bulb, so I replaced it.  It dimmed one time, and then stopped working completely.  I also now have the light out over the dinette, and the outside amber light.  The amber and the kitchen light are on separate switches inside the entry way, but get main power from the same line.  I checked the fuses and all appear fine.  I checked for power in the lines going to the switches, and don't have any.  I do have power to other 12V lights, and all of the 120V outlets.  None of the circuit breakers are tripped, and the GFI tests out normal.  I guess my questions are...

1.) Are all 12V lights on the fuse block, or do some come from the circuit breakers in the converter?
2.) Does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram of the lighting system?
3.) I have a Magnetek 6300 series converter, is it god enough?

gmed56 said:
I have a Magnetek 6300 series converter, is it god enough?
Magnetec might think so. ;D

All lights should be connected to the fuse box - "should" is the key word here.  Visual appearance of the fuses can sometimes be deceiving.  Check the voltage on either end of all the 12 volt fuses or pull them out and test with an ohm meter.  If all are okay yet you do not have 12 volts on the line to the lights, you'll have to chase the line back to the problem.  It sounds like a loose connection, especially since you said the kitchen light dimmed for a while before it quit.  The connection in the fuse box would be a good place to start while you are there.

Sorry, I can't help you with a wiring diagram.

Molaker said:
Magnetec might think so. ;D

Probably not.  Years ago when I had a 6300 replaced with the 6345, I was going to give my old unit to my brother so I called him as asked if he wanted it.  Gave him what data I had but he was not satisfied and called Magnetec about the unit.  He was told it was junk and throw it away.  I opened it up and he was right, it is junk!!

gmed56 said:
I'm new to the forum so bare with me.  I recently bought a 1999 Coachmen Catalina 24QB TT and now have some 12V lighting issues. 

2.) Does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram of the lighting system?

Try giving Coachmen a call, I was able to get various diagrams for power, lighting, water, waste, propane on a 99 Coachmen Mirada.  They were a little generic, but still quite helpful.  Don't know for sure if the number I have is still good but it is 574-825-5821, customer service.  They were always helpful the few times I called.

Howard

The Magnetek 63xx is obsolete junk - at the very least I would suggest upgrading it to a 73xx, which is an upgrade kit available from Best Converter.  Or something better if the budget can stand it. But that is not what is causing this problem because you have 12v stuff that is working ok.

If you have no power to the switches, you have either a blown fuse or a broken wire somewhere. Sounds more likely a broken wire (open circuit).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom