Winnebago Field Repair for Power Gear Slide Travel Lock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Badger47

The travel lock on my large slide has been jamming near every time used.  It jams when trying to lock; i.e. it is stuck in the down position.  I just ran across this fix.  I hope one, or both, are better than what I have to do now which is pull the hairpin and clevis out and shake the shaft with a pliers while working the lock switch. 
http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/82-S0504.pdf

From my contact at Winnebago (he wasn't available for a few days):

"...likely one of two things going on, either the owner is running the lock without the engine running, which will sometimes cause the motor to kind of ratchet when it gets to a full travel position up or down.  If this happens it will sometimes 'jam up'.  I would start by making sure the engine is running when using the slideouts, jacks or locks, as these items run off the chassis battery, this recommendation is made in the Operator's Manual.  The other thing I have heard of is an extra washer being installed at a screw in the motor, causing the screw to stick out further and possibly getting caught on the mounting bracket when the motor twists during operation.  Powergear actually has a bulletin out on that issue."

Exactly - the link I provided is to the Power Gear bulletin - 2 fix options. 

My lock sticks - motor running or not.  Truth be told there appears to be enough play in the mechanism so that it might jam for other reasons as well.  I hope not, but we will see.

:eek:  When I removed the motor from my travel lock it did not have an extra washer.  Of course, it was sticking on the mounting bracket anyway.  I removed the very thick single split washer and replaced it with a very thin lock washer.  I cycled the lock several times and it no longer got hung up on the mount bracket.  Apparently, more play is better with this mechanism.  If it sticks again I could still remove the lock washer and go without and a drop of locktite. I hope that won't be necessary.
Edit: Fixed smiley.

Update  :mad:
Lock stuck again.  Removed cover and just shook by hand.  Unstuck immediately and worked fine.  May have to go to Power Gear's option 2.  Just not a real quality product engineering wise.  This is something that should have been noticed during testing.  Maybe should install quick release clips on the cover?
Edit: Fixed smiley/link.

Just curious if anyone has ever found a "permanent" solution to this problem.  We have a 2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD which has had this problem since delivery.  Every solution found on this forum has been tried plus several more including replacement of all the motors at one point.  Each time they have been worked on and I am told they are working they fail within a short period of time.  Our coach was delivered in October 2010 and the locks were found to not be working during the pre-delivery inspection.  Again in February 2011 while in the shop for a few punch list type items the locks were again serviced. Worked twice that time and stopped.  The last service was in August 2011 at the Winnebago factory in Forest City, IA.  This time they all worked for about three weeks at which time the front drivers side lock failed.  We are fast approaching expiration of our 1 year warranty and I would like for this issue to be resolved during this time to avoid a disagreement down the road. 

Our slides haven't actually malfunctioned yet, but what the two large ones are doing is making a rubbing sound.  Can't quite describe it properly.  Am wondering if yours made any noise prior to it going out?

Mikie

The topic of this thread has to do with the "Travel Locks" which Winnebago installs on some coaches. However, to answer your question at one time there was an issue with noise when the slides were extended and/or retracted.  The dealer used compressed air and cleaned out the area below the slides and it went away.  Not sure if this will work with your problem but it may be worth a try.

JCMSr:  I surrendered and applied the second field fix to my lock.  I used the cutting wheel on a Dremel tool vs. the grinder the lock manufacturer recommended.  My slide lock has worked find since the second fix.  There is now lots of play but the mechanism grinds away happily. 
I don't understand what you mean by the motors "fail"ing.  Are they stuck or burned out?  There are not a lot of options and it is a pretty simple item to troubleshoot.  Hard to believe Winnie factory guys would put in replacement motors w/o applying the modification.  Don't understand why they continue to use a poor product or maybe there are just a lot of the type that jam in stock.

Just completed my visit to our Winnebago dealer to take care of several warranty issues prior to our 12 month anniversary.  Travel locks continue to be an issue and Winnebago does not yet have an acceptable solution.  To date our locks have been worked on 7 times.  Both of the "fixes" which have been posted have been tried and failed within a very short period of time.  Winnebago blames the motor supplier and the motor supplier is blaming Winnebago.  At this point two out of the three locks are working and we are waiting for someone to come up with a solution.  Everything is documented so it should be covered under the warranty without question.  Obviously this has been a very frustrating issue and we are ready for someone to step up and take responsibility.  Not sure how much longer we will be patient however.  Here's hoping we do not have a problem related to the failure of these motors or things could get ugly.

:-\  After some good results following application of the lock manufacturers second fix, my lock is sticking again.  I have not taken this to a dealer simply because I doubt they can do anything about it.  The dealer I purchased from has gone out of business so I likely won't find a real motivated repair facility anyway.  The lock 'unlocks' just fine.  When I close the slide and want to lock for travel the lock is silent, dead as a door nail.  I now keep the cover off the lock (experience and anticipation).  I simply reach up, grab, and wiggle the motor until it 'clunks' a bit.  The lock motor immediately functions when the lock button switch is pushed and the slide locks just fine.  I have never had a problem opening (unlocking). just with locking.
Since I have personally disassembled and dismounted the locking mechanism and motor to apply both fixes I can say that the build tolerances contribute to the sticking.  Both of the modifications suggested by the manufacturer suggest as much.  The motor is not malfunctioning it simply runs too hard when unlocking and leaves the mechanism stuck -- there is no "stop" in its opening travel to prevent the sticking.  Its hard to tell if the flex in the mechanism is the cause of, or the relief for, the problem. 
I guess I will simply put my coach on file with Winnie customer service and see what plays out.

Edit: Fixed smiley.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom