UV Damage To RV Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gary RV Roamer said:
I've never worried about UV damage and take no extra precautions. The tires last 7 years and 50-60k miles without it. [Your mileage may vary]

Gary, that longevity sounds good enough to me, but I'm guessing you might drive your rig more frequently.  How long do you park/store w/ no driving at all (if you care to share)?  I can see myself not pulling our MH from storage for up to 3 months once or more a year.. 

chrishibbard7 said:
I can see myself not pulling our MH from storage for up to 3 months once or more a year..

Even in those cases, would you be able to access the RV and drive around the block once a month?  That's what I try to do with my MH in the off-season, although my "storage" is my 2nd driveway which makes for easy access.  ;)

Most years we put 6000-8000 miles on the rig, nearly all between April and October. It mostly sits during January-March, though I probably move it 50 feet or so a few times during that period, just moving it around our yard.  Right now we are parked for 6 weeks in Maine, but that's longer than we usually stay in one place for the summer.

Conquest aka Robert said:
How far do you have to move it to get the oils moved around?

Drive it far enough to get the engine and transmission to full operating temperature and don't worry about the tires.

Hi,
I recently posted a discussion (below) how a tire/rubber ages; if you wish more information, you might take a look:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?board=3.0

Ernie

Conquest aka Robert said:
How far do you have to move it to get the oils moved around?

I have to go with What Ned Said. Drive enough to get the engine good and warm.

To be honest I have no clue, I just know that my sidewalls are smooth as the day they were molded, Looked at 'em just today and my trips, work out to

Summer: Bunch of stop and go ending in a 60 mile trip
(primary and secondary campgrounds are 60 miles from each other, Shopping is normally done near primary)

Winter: 20 mile trip ending in some stop and go and then a 3 mile trip or a 3 mile trip then some stop and go and a 20 mile trip, these alternate.

(20 miles from Primary campground to church/shopping district, 3 miles to secondry campground, so that's the pattern)

How far you HAVE to drive.. I don't know.

Generally a good 5-10 mile trip reaching highway speeds will be enough to get the engine/tranny (and tires by default) fully warmed up and exercised.  A few extra miles certainly won't hurt.  The longer, straighter stretches the better.  Stop-and-go driving will just use more gas and wear out your brakes faster.  ;)

Just Lou said:
Also, you are reversing the direction of rotation which is not recommended with radial belted tires. 
That may no longer be a concern other than for tires which have directional tread and are explicitly indicated on the sidewall.

http://www.tiresafety.com/maint/maint_content.asp  which is owned by Bridgestone/Firestone.

Good info.

So it is better to but tire covers on when he storage and what about using tire dressing to keep rubber lubed?

Tire dressing is for looks (and possibly some external UV protection) but does nothing for the internal oils.  Plus you'd have to constantly reapply it.  If you read everything above (and the dozens of past threads on tire covers) you'll see that they really shouldn't be needed if you are able to drive the tires around every so often... the best idea to circulate oils.  One exception for tire covers may be if the rig will be in LONG term storage in Arizona sunlight or similar dry, sun-baked environment.

Back
Top Bottom