06 Discovery 39S Slides Won't Retract

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nilesfrancis

Had this problem last sunday.  Local RV dealer came to CG but couldn't diagnose.  Manually retracted slides, dumped transmission fluid to get jacks up.  Said it was an airbreak problem.  The coach doesn't think the airbreak is on (hence slides won't work), when put into drive, airbreak alarm light and alarm, later light went out.  Said it was a freightliner problem, they couldn't fix.  Took it to closest - Peterbilt (FL OK with that), who put it up on a hoist, took it down, and said it worked.  Moved ~100 miles up I-81N to new CG, parked, slides and jacks worked beautifully.  Next day went to retract them.  Won't work.  Has anybody had this problem and if so, what is the solution??? Yes, the engine is running and the air/park break is on.

Your slide system has a number of interlocks to prevent operation in unsafe conditions and one of them is malfunctioning. It may be that the connection to the 'Park Brake On' or "ignition on' sense line is loose and makes intermittent contact. Or that the circuit in the slide motor controller that detects it failing intermittently - changes in temperature or humidity can affect circuit boards like that. 

I've heard more than a few complaints about interlock malfunctions. I'm glad my coach doesn't employ those safety interlocks - it figures I'm smart enough to do it myself.

I have a totally different motorhome so this may not apply, but, I discovered my slide won't retract while the engine is running.  Have to shut the engine off first.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Your slide system has a number of interlocks to prevent operation in unsafe conditions and one of them is malfunctioning. It may be that the connection to the 'Park Brake On' or "ignition on' sense line is loose and makes intermittent contact. Or that the circuit in the slide motor controller that detects it failing intermittently - changes in temperature or humidity can affect circuit boards like that. 

I've heard more than a few complaints about interlock malfunctions. I'm glad my coach doesn't employ those safety interlocks - it figures I'm smart enough to do it myself.

Peterbilt said they put it up on the hoist, took it down (without finding anything), the coach started and they extended and retracted the slides and jacks without a problem.  My question for them on Monday is, did you repeat these actions without ever turning off the coach's engine.  If the answer is yes the engine was always running, then it seems it must be an ignition on problem, since I obviously shut the engine off when I'm settled in the CG.  How do I go about getting this fixed without costing an arm and a leg - I'm 55 miles away from the nearest authorized Fleetwood dealer, and I'm a beached whale at the moment.  Thanks, Liz

What does your owner manual say about slide operation, i.e. what conditions must be met to operate the slides? Some require the engine to be running (to provide extra 12v power), jacks down, park brake locked, while others say engine off, etc. etc.  Hard to guess what is right without having the instructions. Once we know what should be, we can start troubleshooting what is NOT happening when it should.

Gary - I went to Jim's RV in Nichols NY and spoke with a very experienced technician who referred to me to an outside very competent technician who would be prepared to do a site visit since I'm some 55 miles away.  The parts manager also emailed me all the technical diagrams.  He also suggested that I crank the coach up and wiggle the key - sometimes the key doesn't revert back far enough and that will cause some of the accessory functions not to work.

Well, I dare say, that was the problem!  I have tried it twice, and the bedroom slide has responded both times.  I will pack up the coach tomorrow and get all the slides in and the jacks up, and go through this a couple of times to make sure.  Steve said that I may have to have Freightliner replace the ignition switch at some point. 

Just wanted to let everyone know!  Cheers, Liz  :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom