Bounder wiper arms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpykmpr

Well here we are in Old Orchard Maine on our trip from Orlando,FL to Blockhouse , Nova Scotia. Not any problems so fat except for the wiper arms on our Fleetwood Bounder. Just before getting into DC last Sun. the wiper arm on the passenger side broke at the spring knuckle ,not much we could do at the time it hung by the washer hose when we got a chance to pull off the highway. We were staying in Dc for a couple days so we found a dealer who ordered one for us and had it shipped 2nd day air from Indiana at a cost of 47.00 + 55.00 shipping anyways it didn't bother us as we needed it.Yesterday about the time we crossed into Maine we lost the one on the drivers side ,it was raining quite hard but I got off the highway to find it broken in the exact same location as the other.I had to take the one off the passenger side and change it to the drivers side to get to our campground.we called around yesterday afternoon with no results as it is the weekend and are set to head for the border in Holden on Monday morning, with only one wiper i might add. My question to everyone is has anyone else had problems with these wiper arms breaking and if so has anyone discovered an alternative arm that will replace it that may be available to us locally.Thank you in advance for any info you can give us . thanks Alan

Definitely not vandalism Gary ,both broke while they were in operation while driving down the highway and yes it is odd,one I could take as a weakness in that arm but 2 within 600 miles of each other is kind of spooky. Kind of makes me afraid to use them, Then to top it all off we have 2 days driving to go and it is calling for rain or showers on both days. If it was any day but sunday I would check the truck parts places around Portland Maine to see if I could come up with a replacement that would work.I think it must be a case of metal fatigue or something and hopefully the new one will last, Thanks for the reply

According to their web site, Napa auto parts has several stores within a few miles of you, and are open today (Sunday). I've been successful in finding replacement wiper blades for mine (at a Napa store), but haven't tried replacing the wiper arms. They do show that they sell a variety of wiper arms but, without a part number, you'd need to visit a store with the old one (or maybe the new one you bought).

I was also at a campground at OOB. We arrived on Wednesday and left sSturday morning. We were at Powder Horn. A very nice place and very quiet this time of the year. It will be a zoo in a couple of weeks.

RT

I had both of the wiper arms break in the same spot on my Harney Renegade 99. The problem was the plastic had become brittle in the sun over the years. Since the Harney is an "orphan" and no one makes the wiper arms that I have been able to find, the solution was 2 stage Epoxy. I got the stuff that comes in two separate tubes, mixed it in a disposable paper bowl, and used a Popsicle stick for the application (very low tech here). Let it set up for 24 hours and I think it's the strongest part of the assembly now !!  The epoxy costs about $6 and is available at most any hardware store.

Good Luck
Pat
Harney Renegade 99
Cat 3126 Diesel

Tom said:
According to their web site, Napa auto parts has several stores within a few miles of you, and are open today (Sunday). I've been successful in finding replacement wiper blades for mine (at a Napa store), but haven't tried replacing the wiper arms. They do show that they sell a variety of wiper arms but, without a part number, you'd need to visit a store with the old one (or maybe the new one you bought).

Thanks for the reply, we tried several Nappa auto parts yesterday but no luck ,lots of blades but no arms that would work.

Sorry about that. Hope you're able to get an arm so you can continue your journey.

I too have had wiper arms break at the pivot joint on the mini vans.  But they have only been on the rear window wiper that sees all of our heavy winter salt.

Wiper systems for RVs are also used for StepVans, UPS trucks, etc.  I use Mill Supply for these hardware parts, specifically StepVan Catalog.  You'll have to navigate yourself to the wiper parts page thru their menu options.  I've found their pricing to be reasonable & delivery is prompt.  I'm sure they will have what you need.

Tom said:
Sorry about that. Hope you're able to get an arm so you can continue your journey.

Well we are now in Woodstock,New Brunswick and no we did not get a wiper arm but while at Napa yesterday we picked up a can of Rain-X and the windshield was dry early this morning soI put 2 coats of it on . It rained at least 3/4 of the way and I did not have to use my wipers once . great stuff , it is going to be on my must do list before we leave on a trip from now on.

Alan, we had one of our wipers break last year in Yuma, and couldn't source one without a special order ($$$$$$).  So, we took the broken part to a machine shop, who made one for us out of stainless steele, it won't break again  :) :) And the best part was that he only charged me $10.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Alan, we had one of our wipers break last year in Yuma, and couldn't source one without a special order ($$$$$$).  So, we took the broken part to a machine shop, who made one for us out of stainless steele, it won't break again  :) :) And the best part was that he only charged me $10.

Ed
Bonnie has mentioned several times about getting new ones made but I don't think in our case that will work as the break is right where they  knuckle and there is a strong spring there that keep's tension against the windshield and of course in both cases when they broke that spring went flying and we never saw them again. Alan

Just to let everyone know we finally got our wiper arm situation taken care of , hopefully. We found the company that distributes Tru-Vision products ,Diesel Equipment Company in Greensboro North Carolina and we contacted them and they suggested we change out to a different kind of blade  called the Boomerang  Blade. This meant that we would have  to use different arms as well.They came at a reasonable price compared to everyone else we tried, two arms and blades for $130. and change including freight. Of course when our courier arrived with them there was still a charge for HST, customs and a brokerage fee charged by UPS to convert to Purolator Courier, because of shipping to Canada, total of $45.00, but we still came out cheaper than the other places we tried to get them . I installed them yesterday and they seem to work good . the new blades fit the windshield much better than the old ones ever did ,I never was impressed by the way the old ones cleared the windshield so I have great expectations for the new ones. So in conclusion all is well with us and hopefully when we hit the road we will have a much clearer vision of where we are going . thanks , Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom