First time towing boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brens

This will be our first time towing and launching our boat. We have a 30 ft. Motor home and 22 ft. boat. We are going to Lake mead from Rancho Cucamonga Ca.

Any suggestions on launching and pulling into the gas station?

Thanks 

We launch a boat from our motor home every time out. Here are my thoughts.  Teach someone how to drive the boat off and on the trailer. When you set up your boat to launch, put that person in the boat (they can pick up others after parking or drive directly to your site). When you approach the ramp if it is wide enough and not crowded, drive forward and make the u-turn as close to the water as possible so you don't have as far to back. If you can't see your boat when it is directly behind you in your mirrors, watch both mirrors as you back so that you will know immediately whether to make a correction. When backing in I usually back in far enough that the motor is all the way in the water, but most of the weight of the boat is still on the trailer, then once the wife has the boat started, I back up a little more and stop quick, and the boat pretty much launches itself.

Figure out how far into the water you need to be to retrieve the boat so that it will not quite float all the way to the winch, but will be resting on the bunks or rollers lightly to keep it straight. Once you figure out about where that is, find a landmark on the trailer (or paint one) where it enters the water. We use a couple of cheap walky-talkies and my wife (in the boat) tells me when I'm back far enough. The walky-talkies are also handy for launching and for coorinating when you are going to use the ramp in busy times. In the winter, I usually back down close enough to the dock that I can get on the trailer toungue to winch the boat the rest of the way, but during summer I usually wade. We've been using this system for years and once the same two people do it the same way it becomes second nature, pretty quick and no stress.

You said 1st time so: Unplug trailer lights, release tie downs, release winch line, Install drain plug, Lower outdrive, or outboard (only if clearance permits)(If not, wait until you get it in the water) I saw someone not raise their outdrive once when trailering their boat and drug it in the asphalt all the way up to the top of a very long ramp....not a pretty sight.

Don't get flustered....just take your time and you'll get used to it. Have fun.... 8) 8)

Water Dog said:
In the winter, I usually back down close enough to the dock that I can get on the trailer tongue to winch the boat the rest of the way, but during summer ...
I snipped all the good suggestions but I had to smile at the above.  Here we drive on the ice to go fishing in winter.  Usually for several to four months depending.

Tony_Alberta said:
I snipped all the good suggestions but I had to smile at the above.  Here we drive on the ice to go fishing in winter.  Usually for several to four months depending.
Can do both here.  Lakes and rivers freeze, the Bay of Fundy(Atlantic Ocean) never freezes.  You won't get me anywhere close to the frigid waters of the Bay of Fundy though.

Actually, it provides a lot of entertainment for onlookers to see an old guy trying to keep his balance on a 4" piece of steel directly over the water in 40 degree weather. I finally added a step to my boat trailer tongue to take some of the risk away. If I hadn't, it would have been just a matter of time.

I towed a boat behind a motorhome for a number of years. Reversing down a launch ramp with a motorhome was a lot easier than reversing the boat into a side yard with a short wheelbase Bronco when we got home.

One word of caution about having someone in the boat when you launch or retrieve; I once observed a guy retrieve his small boat with his wife sitting at the helm; He couldn't have secured the boat on the trailer and, as he drove up the ramp, the boat slipped off the trailer and landed on the concrete ramp with a thump.

I have a class C with about 13'-14' hanging out behind the rear wheels.  This over hang really makes controlling a boat while backing very easy.  The trick is being able to see the boat while backing.  I have a 12' cane pole with a flag tied on both ends (use segmented pole so it fits in basement).  I lay it across the boat back at the stern where I can see both flags in my mirrors.  Makes it easier than waiting until the boat appears in my mirrors before making a correction.  Back slowly and correct quickly.

Water Dog said:
You said 1st time so: Unplug trailer lights, release tie downs, release winch line, Install drain plug, Lower outdrive,

Wish you had given me this very useful reminder list  a while back.  One does not forget this plug very often!

Betty

Water Dog said:
...drive forward and make the u-turn as close to the water as possible so you don't have as far to back.

This is the biggest secret of all. I used to tow a boat all over California to go water skiing back in the 70s. After we were done and had parked the boat and car we would return to the launch ramp to watch and laugh at the newbies who would make the U turn at the top of the ramp and attempt to back all the way down the ramp.

Betty Brewer said:
Wish you had given me this very useful reminder list  a while back.  One does not forget this plug very often!

Betty

I think we've all done it at least once Betty. You finally figure it out when it seems like you're sitting a lot lower in the
water.. ;)

seilerbird said:
This is the biggest secret of all. I used to tow a boat all over California to go water skiing back in the 70s. After we were done and had parked the boat and car we would return to the launch ramp to watch and laugh at the newbies who would make the U turn at the top of the ramp and attempt to back all the way down the ramp.

I know Tom, and some of the ramps around here have been really long for a few years with the lack of water. We've finally got full lakes.

Tom said:
One word of caution about having someone in the boat when you launch or retrieve; I once observed a guy retrieve his small boat with his wife sitting at the helm; He couldn't have secured the boat on the trailer and, as he drove up the ramp, the boat slipped off the trailer and landed on the concrete ramp with a thump.

In retrieving ours, I always winch it up tight before I pull out of the water so the winch line is attached. When launching, we are unhooked, but everything is dry at that point, and we go slow. If I felt the particular ramp was to steep to do that safely we do have an auxillary safety chain with about 6" of slack that also hooks to the bow that I can leave attached. I keep telling the wife, Look how much easier it would be to get out of the boat if it were just sitting on the ground...!

[quote author=Water Dog]..., I always winch it up tight before I pull out of the water so the winch line is attached.[/quote]

That's the correct way for sure Dennis.

Thanks for all the great advice. We went to Lake mead over this weekend and had a blast! NO problems at all launching the boat. My husband
did a great job!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom