Pleasure Way - swaying on road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feliciausl

Hello. We recently downgraded from a 24' w/slide down to a 2010 Pleasure Way van conversion.  I am the main driver, traveling alone to dog shows. The van has been in the shop  and I have only driven twice on the highway.
Wow, it is difficult to drive.  It sways easily and when the wind hits it I feel like I  have no control over it.the wheel seems to loose contact with the wheels.  It is scary. The Ford dealer said this is normal
As a woman I'm use to being disregarded when it comes to the R V.  In any case , I'm concerned over this "feeling" while I'm driving and there is no way I will let my husband drive.  He is not a good driver and will panic.

Any suggestions?  Comments?

That sounds excessive.  There would be some "sway" but I think I would find a local truck suspension shop and have them check it out.  There are sway control items you can add and there might be something wrong that could be fixed or adjusted.  Your rig is probably pretty top-heavy and that is no doubt what is happening but it should be driveable.  In our area there is a shop that works on truck alignments and steering, etc.  A place like that should know.

I hav heard on PW owners site that Ford dealers are replacing the stearing box on some newer units.  Check it out at To learn more about the Pleasurewayownersgroup group, please visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pleasurewayownersgroup  you will need to set up a yahoo account and have your PW vin or sn to join.
Regards,
Dick

Ford Vans and Pway Excel's  have a problem with their Vans 2008 and up.  They have issued a Technical Service Bullitin. 2007 chassis and older dont have these issues.  They changed the vehicle suspension in 2008 and newer for the worse....  Many people trading them back in while they have top dollar tradein for Plateau's on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis that dont have this inherent design issue.  Ford dealer  can try fixing and adjusting.  Good luck...  If you go to the Pleasureway Group mentioned above there are pages on this problem.

see below TSB
TSB-09-20-7
Date of Bulletin: 04/21/2010

Summary Description:
FORD: STEERING WANDER. SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT STEERING WANDER OR FREE PLAY. STEERING GEAR MESH LOAD ADJUSTMENT. FRONT END ALIGNMENT MAY BE ADJUSTED TO IMPROVE THE WANDER/FREE PLAY CONDITION. STICKY ON CENTER FEEL MAY ALSO BE DUE TO B
FORD E-350:STEERING

FORD E-350 2008 Safety Report #TSB-09-20-7
FORD E-350 2008 technical service bulletin was issued Apr 01, 2010.FORD E-350 2008 had a failed STEERING . FORD: STEERING WANDER. SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT STEERING WANDER OR FREE PLAY. STEERING GEAR MESH LOAD ADJUSTMENT. FRONT END ALIGNMENT MAY BE ADJUSTED TO IMPROVE THE WANDER/FREE PLAY CONDITION. STICKY ON CENTER FEEL MAY ALSO BE DUE TO B.
Post Your Comment Go Top
FORD E-350:STEERING:LINKAGES:LINK:DRAG:CONNECTION

FORD E-350 2008 technical service bulletin was issued Apr 01, 2010.FORD E-350 2008 had a failed STEERING:LINKAGES:LINK:DRAG:CONNECTION . FORD: STEERING WANDER. SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT STEERING WANDER OR FREE PLAY. STEERING GEAR MESH LOAD ADJUSTMENT. FRONT END ALIGNMENT MAY BE ADJUSTED TO IMPROVE THE WANDER/FREE PLAY CONDITION. STICKY ON CENTER FEEL MAY ALSO BE DUE TO B.
Post Your Comment Go Top
FORD E-350:STEERING:LINKAGES:DRAG:pOWER ASSIST SYSTEM

FORD E-350 2008 technical service bulletin was issued Apr 01, 2010.FORD E-350 2008 had a failed STEERING:LINKAGES:DRAG:pOWER ASSIST SYSTEM . FORD: STEERING WANDER. SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT STEERING WANDER OR FREE PLAY. STEERING GEAR MESH LOAD ADJUSTMENT. FRONT END ALIGNMENT MAY BE ADJUSTED TO IMPROVE THE WANDER/FREE PLAY CONDITION. STICKY ON CENTER FEEL MAY ALSO BE DUE TO B.
Post Your Comment Go Top
FORD E-350:SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER BALL JOINT

FORD E-350 2008 technical service bulletin was issued Apr 01, 2010.FORD E-350 2008 had a failed SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER BALL JOINT . FORD: STEERING WANDER. SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT STEERING WANDER OR FREE PLAY. STEERING GEAR MESH LOAD ADJUSTMENT. FRONT END ALIGNMENT MAY BE ADJUSTED TO IMPROVE THE WANDER/FREE PLAY CONDITION. STICKY ON CENTER FEEL MAY 

Dont worry on this this is normal in particular with Ford.  All you need is to have 'anti-sway bar' installed and your van is going to drive like a dream.

Mercedes/Freightliner chasis has sway too, but most dealers these days get 'sway bars' installed.  Those that dont, have the steering wander just as you are describing. 

F;

I drive a lot of different Ford vans and I find tire pressure to be the
key to a controllable ride. I rode one recently that gave me a wild ride and halfway in the trip I checked the tire
pressure. It had 80 or more psi in the front. When I reduced the pressure to 55psi;
the ride smooth out and became enjoyable. ( I had 80psi  in the rears )

All the best;  SW

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skidsteerpilot
Back
Top Bottom