Buy or Rent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hwkr14

Hello all, at the end of march we will need to transport my elderly mother (91) from her winter vacation spot in Daytona Beach, to her home in St. Louis.  She came down with Pneumonia, and unfortunately has not recovered to the point where she can fly or ride in a car.  One option is air ambulance, but that would be about 25k... it is a last resort.  Right now we are looking at either purchasing a slightly used RV and then selling it later in the year: as we have noticed these units, "especially the luxury ones." tend to depreciate slowly.  Our other option is to rent, however it is getting to that time where all the units are rented for spring break.  How easy is it to sell an RV, is there a season for that sort of thing?  Does anyone have an idea to this predicament?  Any input is welcomed

PS~ if any of you live in MO and are interesting in renting your RV send me a message!

Spring in the RV business, especially in the North is the busy season and when prices would be at their highest.  Considering that you cannot afford to have a motorhome which might fail in transit, buying a used unit does not give you much time to try it out and get all the bugs out.

My intuition would be to rent a Class C motorhome locally, preferably from a licensed dealer, or licensed motorhome rental agency.  Renting from an individual might be risky in mechanical reliability (same rationale as buying a used unit) as well as liability issues along with insurance issues.

Renting locally would probably make sense as I am not sure about one way rentals.

It's not uncommon for a motorhome to be used as a transportation vehicle for a person who is ill, but you want to be sure all systems are in working order.

It's an interesting situation and it will be looking forward to the views of others.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Here are some RV rentals I got from the Daytona Beach yellow pages:

Cruise America (local or one way rentals); 1-800-327-7799 or www.cruiseamerica.com
El Monte RV Rentals; 1-800-367-6511 or www.elmonterv.com
Giant Recreational World of Volusia: 1-386-673-1615
Jim's RV Rentals: 1-386-290-7842
Kool Karz: 1-386-323-3788

I would suspect that only Cruise America or El Monte would rent one way.

hwkr14 said:
? Right now we are looking at either purchasing a slightly used RV and then selling it later in the year: as we have noticed these units, "especially the luxury ones." tend to depreciate slowly.?

Hi there,
Sorry for the misfortune of illness.  In my experience all RV's tend to depreciate rapidly.  I would look at a rental as it would be insured against breakdown and you would not have the hassel of advertising, and showing a rig for sale in a year.
Betty  Brewer

Thanks for the info on one way rentals Bruce.  I was not aware they were available, so this is helpful for future reference as well :)

Not all rv's are 'user friendly' when it comes to the ill or infirm. Whichever way you decide to go, make sure it has the necessary equipment; i.e. inverter, air conditioning, special toilet seat/grab rails, etc., to operate any medical equipment or provide special needs during the trip.

Good luck, and best wishes for your Mother.

Back
Top Bottom